Monster hunt question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PhillHS

Mar 31, 2008
Coventry, UK
Hi,

I finally got mu LAN Linux MH server up and running with several different selectable mutators UTJMH and the like, however I do have a problem that
on some maps the monsters will spontaniously start fighting each other for no reason, is there any way to prevent this ?

Cheers.

Phill.

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
i assume they never fixed this problem in the UTJMH mutator , try using MHexcal instead ;) to download it , just go on Excalibur Holland server ..

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
however I do have a problem that
on some maps the monsters will spontaniously start fighting each other for no reason, is there any way to prevent this ?

This is a problem with the way monsters have been made. It will take a lot of work to fix it.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Monsters fight each other when they are hit by other monster's projectiles. That's the way they work almost everywhere - Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003 & 04, Doom, Doom II etc. etc. Wouldn't you get mad if a traitor backstabbed you? :)

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
Hi,

I finally got mu LAN Linux MH server up and running with several different selectable mutators UTJMH and the like, however I do have a problem that

Cheers.

Phill.
Why is this a problem? iirc they did it in Unreal sp too.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
That's not bad. It's really an advantage.

What I find to be real bothersome, is that monsters can "see" you through movers (doors etc.) This is really annoying. On the other hand, you can also kill monsters through movers. Just lock in some rockets, or place a combo near the door.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Yeah

I think what Derdak2rot said may be correct. I have used the mod he mentioned before but never actually looked to see if it fixed the issue in question. I had gotten it because I heard it fixed that issue and others as well. I wish the mod had a readme but it doesn't. Still, it works very well for what else it was designed to do which was to replace UTJMH. I hope Derdak2rot gets this and answers again about whether this mod stops monsters from fighting each other. CYA!

Edit: I just tested as a spectator with the new mod and can confirm that the new mod DOES NOT STOP the monsters from fighting each other. It appears Great Emerald was right when he said they fight only after one monster has fired on another but I think it may be caused for another reason too. I think that the monsters detect anything that fires a weapon within a certain range of themselves and that activates them to attack whatever fired the weapon whether it is a human, bot or another monster. That is what it looks like to me but no, the mod derdak2rot mentioned does not stop the monsters from fighting with each other. At least they don't actually damage each other at all. CYA!

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Almost like that. When nothing is firing at them, though, they scan their view area for anyone who has bIsBot (or something, don't remember) flag set to True. If the monster finds it, it attacks.

PhillHS

Mar 31, 2008
Coventry, UK
Ok, I did some more investigating as follows....

I setup 2 client machines and the server, selected MH-BaseRiot-fix on the server. One of the client machines I had join as a spectator, the other as a real player, I had the spectator join first and moved the viewpoint to just outside the base where there are a load of Skaarj lined up, and watched what happend when I joined on the other machine.

Initially the skaarj would just be scanning the area, with just the spectator connected. What happened when the real player connected depended on what mutators the server had active (I have MapVoteLA13, so can switch on the fly).

With just MH/UJMH the skaarj just stayed scanning until a player actually wondered into their line of sight, and then they attacked the player, of course they still fought if they happened to hit each other but most of the firing was directed at the player.

With some other mods (I tried using the insta mutator as that is something that would be easy for others to try), the skaarj again did nothing until the active player spawned and then they imediatly stop scanning and start hand to hand fighting each other, even before the active player has fired a shot.

As the other mutator that I am having this problem with is again a weapons replacement thing it might be someting to do with that.

Cheers.

Phill.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Maybe InstaGib mutator automatically scans for all pawns and updates the bIsPlayer flag to True. Like the SkaarjInfantry always get attacked by enemies if summoned as they automatically get the bIsPlayer tag temporary until it finds a weapon, but as it is summoned the weapon stays floating and not picked up by the SkaarjInfantry.

PhillHS

Mar 31, 2008
Coventry, UK
Maybe InstaGib mutator automatically scans for all pawns and updates the bIsPlayer flag to True. Like the SkaarjInfantry always get attacked by enemies if summoned as they automatically get the bIsPlayer tag temporary until it finds a weapon, but as it is summoned the weapon stays floating and not picked up by the SkaarjInfantry.

Seems to be something similar, I created my own package with just a copy of Arena.uc and InstaGibDM.uc, and modified it so that it checked the weapon's owner before substitution, and while it doesn't work perfectly, it does prvent the monsters attacking each other, I guess because they don't have a weapon.

Before I did this I also noticed that some monsters where never affected, some of the Skaarj, Krall, Tenticles etc, things that don't normally have weapons.

Cheers.

Phill.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
So

So... are you saying that the monsters detect you by whether you have a weapon or not? Same for detecting other monsters too? I think line of sight has something to do with it too personally. I've also seen monsters that never moved to attack me until my rocket launcher locked on the monster. Then the monster freaks out and attacks but otherwise, there are sometimes that I can walk up behind them while holding my weapon and touch them before they attack.

Please explain what you were saying in non-mapper, non-UT editor language that I can understand better. Thanks.

PhillHS

Mar 31, 2008
Coventry, UK
So... are you saying that the monsters detect you by whether you have a weapon or not? Same for detecting other monsters too? I think line of sight has something to do with it too personally. I've also seen monsters that never moved to attack me until my rocket launcher locked on the monster. Then the monster freaks out and attacks but otherwise, there are sometimes that I can walk up behind them while holding my weapon and touch them before they attack.

Please explain what you were saying in non-mapper, non-UT editor language that I can understand better. Thanks.

No, the instagibdm mutator replaces all the weapons in a map with the enhanced shock rife. However for monsters that would normally have a gun, like for example the skaarjsniper, it replaces the sniper rifle with the shock, however the skaarj seems to fail to become the owner of that weapon, and thinks it's unarmed and goes into 'attack everything' mode.

As I said before, it doesn't seem to attack things like brutes, slith, krall etc as they have a 'built in weapon' that cannot be changed.

Cheers.

Phill.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yes, that's the SkaarjTrooper bug. When the mutator attempts to replace all weapons, it can't do the same with skaarj. They simply remove the weapons. But then, in the code it says that if the skaarj is unarmed, it goes into bIsPlayer mode, that is, every other bots think that they are players and attack them. Skaarj only are in bIsPlayer mode until they find a weapon - but as there are no weapons around and loads of enemies, they don't make it.

PhillHS

Mar 31, 2008
Coventry, UK
Yes, that's the SkaarjTrooper bug. When the mutator attempts to replace all weapons, it can't do the same with skaarj. They simply remove the weapons. But then, in the code it says that if the skaarj is unarmed, it goes into bIsPlayer mode, that is, every other bots think that they are players and attack them. Skaarj only are in bIsPlayer mode until they find a weapon - but as there are no weapons around and loads of enemies, they don't make it.

Humm, in that case it might be sufficient to do something like :-

if (Owner.IsA('SkaarjTrooper'))
don't replace
else
replace

Cheers

Phill