Noob vs vet...Balance...Respect

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
I will define the above terms:

Noob - u2xmp naive players or u2xmp less than 1 month.

Vet - u2xmp play for more than 1 month.

Now, I want you to imagine you are a noob, if you are a noob, then just be yourself. If you were a noob, would you notice that balance was off?

Honestly? If you came into the game without u2xmp to compare to, could you HONESTLY say balance was off? If everyone was a noob?

Well, tell you what...we are all noobs to utxmp, we keep on comparing everything to u2xmp, but u2xmp != utxmp.

People are getting used to the game...people are adapting...things will be tweaked...give it time...

You will find the new jumps, different movement strategies, different dodge hop combos...you will learn to work differently...

We all talk about balance as if we are all experts, but the only experts are those who have the fine calculations and have tailored the game accorting to various equations of damage and what not...Obviously, we don't have access to this.

So post your observations, be constructive, and stop disrespecting. FMI will read and process your thoughts, but I don't think you help too much by saying oh...make it like u2xmp...too many things are different to do that...just work to make it a better game.

Everyone is afraid of change - but we must adapt or the game dies and takes all of the community with it...

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
While utxmp should strive close to be accurate port, what PhatAzz has said is the truth. I personally don't want to play the same buggy game I have been before. Some changes are necessary, and as long as the basic foundation is there, all thats left is room for improvement.

Tenacity

noob for life
Aug 18, 2004
Ok that's it couldn't let this one slide... omg yes the balance is off ...you have to be an idiot to play anything but a Gunner. Techs can't even come close to keeping up with them in speed or in any other way.

Admittedly I am an Idiot because I keep trying to play tech and I keep getting owned by gunners. There is just simply no way that a tech or ranger can compete with the new uber elite super powerful speedy nearly invincible gunner ....he completely dominates the game now.

And the Raptor is way to tough I can boost all over the place and run into walls like crazy and I barely lose any health.

The one weapon that gave the tech a fighting chance is fairly nerfed now and that is the alt shotty. I have heard similar things about the rangers weapons. btw where is the thread talking about the nerfed gunner :con: :shake:

Look I am so happy to see this game and I very much appreciate all the work that has been done. But I am not going to act like it is ok ...it is not ok it needs work and I think most ppl know that and that is why it is 'BETA'

I am not expecting it to be exactly like u2xmp, but I am impressed with how close it has come to u2xmp. FMI has done a great job but c'mon it needs to be tweaked.

I want to make it clear that I am very very happy with the the progress so far :notworthy: FMI rules :rockon: and I am looking forward to seeing the continued work to clear out the bugs and tweak the balance of the classes and the vehicles. :cheers:

SwiftPaladin said:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ahem :::cough::: :::cough::: It's broken :rolleyes: can I hear everyone say 'BETA' Ok all together now repaet after me 'BETA' ;) very good .... a little slower this time ' Beeeeeeettaaaaaaa ' that's 2 syllables 'bay tah' beta got it 'BETA' :mwink:

Last edited:

SwiftPaladin

Boing!
Feb 4, 2004
San Jose, CA
Oh no, I was talking about the many (experimental?) changes done while porting the game to a new engine--some that imo should have stayed the same as XMP :)

Tenacity

noob for life
Aug 18, 2004
SwiftPaladin said:
Oh no, I was talking about the many (experimental?) changes done while porting the game to a new engine--some that imo should have stayed the same as XMP :)

Ah ok my bad ....
I thought you were agreeing that utxmp isn't so bad right now. So I must now clarify and say that I agree u2xmp wasn't broken as far as balance and gameplay so I think it should remain the same as much as possible. <----did I get that right. ;) :lol:

SwiftPaladin

Boing!
Feb 4, 2004
San Jose, CA
Affirmative!
Keywords are "as much as possible," meaning (well, to me anyway :)) "as much as the ut2k4 engine allows it. Particle system, for example, is a long shot; but weapon settings, another example, can be tweaked as far as I know. I think a straight forward answer to what can and cannot be modified can save lots of BUF HD space :) (I'm still wondering if the 'hovering' before you land after a dodge is because of the engine or not)

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Tenacity said:
Ok that's it couldn't let this one slide... omg yes the balance is off ...you have to be an idiot to play anything but a Gunner. Techs can't even come close to keeping up with them in speed or in any other way.

Admittedly I am an Idiot because I keep trying to play tech and I keep getting owned by gunners. There is just simply no way that a tech or ranger can compete with the new uber elite super powerful speedy nearly invincible gunner ....he completely dominates the game now.

I couldnt pass this one up either. All Tech, All the time. :D

Actually...most of the top scores are tech...kinda makes you wonder about the "uber leet gunner". Yes its overpowered, but not as much as say.

Attachments

• Shot00029.jpg
    Shot00029.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 72

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
Tenacity said:
omg yes the balance is off ...you have to be an idiot to play anything but a Gunner.

Well - must be a lot of idiots in the game. Almost all the games that I play have close ratios of classes. Now, if you compare to u2xmp, you are and will get owned by a gunner...but really are you noticing it more now because now it's better than before? And now that it's better than before, other vets play it more often, most of the times those vets are good or have been good with gunner in the past. So you'll get owned...now...really, people play gunner to pwn people, not to hack or steal arts as much. I'm sure if you scrimmed a good clan, vd, de, nbk etc, everyone would not play gunner. So are you telling me everyone is an idiot? Smoke on dude.

Admittedly I am an Idiot because I keep trying to play tech and I keep getting owned by gunners.

No comment. ^^

There is just simply no way that a tech or ranger can compete with the new uber elite super powerful speedy nearly invincible gunner ....he completely dominates the game now.

Perhaps as a tech, you aren't supposed to pwn at dueling so much? Read above. And no, the gunner doesn't completely dominate the game. A lot of DE play tech and it still rules points easily - like Xaero says. Oh btw, it's time to relearn your classes as I have been owned by some rangers repeatedly who have been playing - drunken in particular.

And the Raptor is way to tough I can boost all over the place and run into walls like crazy and I barely lose any health.

It's a beta.

The one weapon that gave the tech a fighting chance is fairly nerfed now and that is the alt shotty.

A lot of people say damage is about the game in regards to the shotty's. You're just not used to killing someone across the field with your shotty. I get one hit killed all the time with alt shotty in utxmp.

But I am not going to act like it is ok ...it is not ok it needs work and I think most ppl know that and that is why it is 'BETA'

I'm not saying it's okay. I'm saying be constructive.

I am not expecting it to be exactly like u2xmp, but I am impressed with how close it has come to u2xmp. FMI has done a great job but c'mon it needs to be tweaked.

I think it's fine to compare the two, but really passing judgement on things that have changed and making u2xmp the gold standard is wrong. The game type is converted with a lot of the basics, but the finer points will be unique to themselves.

I am looking forward to seeing the continued work to clear out the bugs and tweak the balance of the classes and the vehicles. :cheers:

Same here. I think so many people expect to own gunner like they did in u2xmp. Well, heads up people -> gunner has been upgraded to where it should always have been. Granted the primary grenade launcher has been considered overpowered by a lot of people, once that is fixed/tweaked, the other classes are fixed/tweaked...the balance will be fine. And if it's not, we wouldn't know until a month or so test running the system.

I think a lot of vets just fail to realize, gunner was made to be more on par with the other classes. It was clearly underpowered in u2xmp and was not played as much as the other classes.

A lot of vets say "Oh the game isn't the same, ranger sucks...or tech sucks" Yet do you see these people actually making the effort to play those classes and help them out? Vets that go to gunner because it pwns and forget their class they loved in u2xmp? WTF kinda support is that from the community? We as players need to give constructive comments and beta test - that's our job.

You're not an idiot, I think you should be commended for playing tech repeatedly. Because you'll get used to it like a lot of people are starting to say. You'll start to accept certain things and deal with them or commen on them here. You're beta-ing.

Now all you jackasses out there who used to play ranger and tech, and now don't? Great loyalty to the game and abandoning the class you play. Try getting to know your new class and making a real effort to play it and learn. You guys rock.

Last edited:

tabasco

Nov 23, 2004
Unbalanced Classes?!?! pfft!

I started playing U2XMP in Jan 04. From the moment I started playing, the gunner was an inconsequential member of a so-called "class" based game. Think about the attributes of each class. Does it not seem logical that the gunner (the class with the heaviest armor, weaponry, etc.) should be an integral part of offensive strikes?

I want all the "vets" to think about U2XMP. How many gunners actually assaulted a node? Ok. Now think about how many rangers were the top offensive players (the class with the lowest armor, weaponry, etc.). The class inequities that existed in U2XMP are FINALLY being rectified with the UT porting of XMP. (Ok, Ok...the gunners incendiary nade is a tad too strong, but otherwise....)

If you can't adapt to the changes, quit b1t[hing and go find another game. (BestBuy.com has Tribes:Vengeance for $29.99 :lol: <---Gay!!!)

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
Hehey. Good points tabasco and fatass! :) Offensive gunner sounds logical to me too. On defense it sucked even worse than on offense IMO because it couldn´t catch arti stealers when thay lose the first contact. I have always been very aggressive attacker in XMP with gunner and will keep it going. It breaks turrets, vehicles and blows up defenders --- but gets owned by rangers coz he´s so fat. No matter, the pleasure caused by succesful shot of concussion grenade and that terrible noise made it worth playing gunner even in U2.

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
Oooh. I´ve earned the pleasure of being insulted by the allmighty power ranger, pure-destruction. Now I don´t dare to clean my monitor ever coz your words of truth have once stood on it. :lol: Now that´s what I call the arrogance that pretty much ruined old XMP´s balance when people thought that the only way to be good player was to own with ranger as much as possible. It was pity that it was possible but fortunately in UT rangers aren´t that overpowered I think.

There are three classes (and fourth is badly needed) for a reason. Each and everyone of them is meant to be played and needed on the field. If there´s some order of preference something´s really wrong with balance. In U2 XMP it was ranger>tech>gunner so this why I find conversation about converting the game as it was pretty bizarre. The true way for the veterans to show their quality is to be able to adapt to possible changes in gaming style and class balance. Rumors say that most of folks just swap to gunner coz it´s so über-killer but no way you can own better with it if you sucked with it in previous version. The main reason why the gunners do more frags now is that players of other classes haven´t got used to being cautious with gunners. Just get used to the idea that you can no longer just walk over them. And finally: killing gunner with gunner is the most difficult combat, use other class. I know this by exprerience.

StarGunner

Dec 18, 2004
.pot.OptimusPrime said:
Oooh. I´ve earned the pleasure of being insulted by the allmighty power ranger, pure-destruction. Now I don´t dare to clean my monitor ever coz your words of truth have once stood on it. :lol: Now that´s what I call the arrogance that pretty much ruined old XMP´s balance when people thought that the only way to be good player was to own with ranger as much as possible. It was pity that it was possible but fortunately in UT rangers aren´t that overpowered I think.

There are three classes (and fourth is badly needed) for a reason. Each and everyone of them is meant to be played and needed on the field. If there´s some order of preference something´s really wrong with balance. In U2 XMP it was ranger>tech>gunner so this why I find conversation about converting the game as it was pretty bizarre. The true way for the veterans to show their quality is to be able to adapt to possible changes in gaming style and class balance. Rumors say that most of folks just swap to gunner coz it´s so über-killer but no way you can own better with it if you sucked with it in previous version. The main reason why the gunners do more frags now is that players of other classes haven´t got used to being cautious with gunners. Just get used to the idea that you can no longer just walk over them. And finally: killing gunner with gunner is the most difficult combat, use other class. I know this by exprerience.

Well is we need another class I say give us the Soldier class. he gets the Assault Rifle Hand Grenades, and pistol. Leave the techs shot gun, but make the soldier the perfact ballance of all the classes. This way you don't get all the ballance problems with having three, four is mutch easyer to work with and you have an even number.

Soldier idea:
Speed: Avrage
health: Avrage
Info: Good jumping abilitys, avrage range, avrage health.
Weapons:pistol, Assault Rifle

The solder would be the avrage man on the field good for offence and deffence. only gets two weapons but is the run of the mill player class.

tech gets aloted to this role:
Speed: slower than soldier but faster than gunner
Health: better than soldier, but not as good as the Gunner
info: best hacking still, good jumping abilitys, but bad long range powers
Weapons: Shotgun: for it's power, Grenadlouncher and everything els but the Assault rifle.

|pure|Destruction

Jan 22, 2004
insulted by the allmighty power ranger, pure-destruction. Now I don´t dare to clean my monitor ever coz your words of truth have once stood on it.

excuse me mr teletubby kid. but my power ranger was quite exellent in u2xmp. but its a pos class to play with now. and adapting to a new style of play has nothing to do with it. its that the gunnner was tweaked to be an uber elite killing machine with a rl splash damage radius of like 8 meters if it were real life, and the ranger was nerfed down to little peasant girl status. ive come to think it was an intentional tweaking, but a bit too far. so now everyone who was gunners in u2xmp are like "woa cool, gunner kicks ass!" and the rangers are like "WTF happened to my sniper and pistol?!!" its really quite lame all around. So go back to spamming your rockets since you arent accurate enough to use hitscan effectively. And Ill go back to defending my ranger for all previous xmp rangers until the **** is fixed... <3

Fleury14

Lei STILL sux. It's true.
Jan 6, 2003
Fresno, CA
Visit site
I wanna hear from FMI, or whoevers doing the coding that the splash damage/radius has been increased. I don't see it. I see players that are a lot easier to hit because theyre not jumping and dodging like crazy, and because they cant kill me as easily as before.