Bad name Index

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well its still happening to me. It happens on the following maps.

Sandman
Venture
Frozen
Scramble2003, not original though
Norwich
Avignon
and all the same maps that did it in 2.86, maybe more that I cant remember.

Does anyone notice anything in common for all these maps? Skybox, a texture, anything?

jonas_man

Aug 19, 2004
Sterno said:
I had a post about this prior to the forums crashing but no one could figure out what the problem was.

Whenever certain maps are on the server my game crashes and I get a bad name index error. It is only certain maps and it will even crash the game if I click on a server that is running a bad map in my browser.
i have the same problem
but i already solve it
it seems that your map files are currupted
and if you delete this files and repleace by anothers you can fix that problem
or in a multiplayer game download the maps

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well I just reinstalled UT and INF again and I continue to get this error on specific maps. I tried going into original UT and clicking on some servers to see if it was simply INF that it was happening in, it also crashed in UT.

I did some searching around on some other forums and google but came up empty handed.

God Help Me!!

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
As jonas_man said before, one or more of your files seem to be corrupted.

Maybe even your INF install exe or manual zip is already corrupted too and so you can reinstall as many times as you want, tho. Have you downloaded INF 2.9 again from another download location yet? If not then I would highly suggest to do this, to make sure that the install files are ok.

But you said that your UT stuff crashed too... maybe download the full UT server version and replace the texture, sound etc packs from your original UT install with the stuff included.
But first, just test with redownloading the 436 patch... maybe this little update is already corrupted.

Last edited:

Sterno

Eastern Canadien
Jan 17, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Visit site
Well before my previous uninstall I deleted some maps and a bunch of textures, but it didnt help. As soon as I redownloaded them from the server I crashed again.

I am going to download what you suggested Beppo. Thanks for the reply.

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
It is kind of unlikely but my brother once had corrupted downloads most of the time. In the end it turned out that one of his memory bars was broken although the machine was running quite stabil... computers are sometimed even stranger than women ;)