Which Unreal Game is Best According to You?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Choose between the following

• Total voters

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
UT3 is great if you have fifteen hundred plus dollars to spend. At this point in time though, money is a factor. Not to mention where, even if gameplay is stellar, spending that kind of money to play a game that lacks some needed polish seems silly.

You can build a system for less than 1/2 of that and it will run UT3 very well. I am talking, everything, complete, (minus the windoze OS), the case, PS, GPU, CPU, HD, and DDR2 ram. I am not talking junk either, but good quality stuff. Prices of components have fallen greatly. Video cards and processors have already passed 2 new generations since the launch of UT3. Anyone who waited to upgrade for the prices to drop, now is a great time.

That said, I have several friends who use that same excuse as they hold on to that old single core socket 478 or socket A machine with AGP graphics they have been running for 5 years.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Unreal Engine 3 hosts lots of games like BioShock, Mass Effect and Stranglehold. More to come in a near future. At the moment it's a good investment, but you can still wait for Id Tech 5 to be on the safe side. I am quite pleased with my new system, it runs everything swift and smooth, for the time being.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm running a dual core 4200+, with a 8800gt, and a gig of ram. It's not enough.

Even if prices now are low, so is the hype about this game. It does nothing for the player base, when running the game on release requires so much juice. Even if I'd waited longer on my small upgrades, I'd still be building a system for a large chunk of money to run a game that no one plays. As well, a game that still lacks a lot of important features, and polish, despite my opinion that game play is near perfect.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
The 4200+ is not very good, the 2X 512Kb cache is a real weak point for many games. You cannot even find any good socket 939 chips anymore, so you would need to get a new mobo plus cpu and ram at about $350 or so.

I also run socket 939 but with an opteron 180, 2X 1Mb cache, running at 2.6GHz. You really need to have 2Gb ram for UT3 because it will use over 1Gb, at least it does for me. If your swapping to the hard drive, the game performance will suck. I run 2X 7900 GTX in SLI which is not as good as a single 8800GT. I would only describe the performance as OK or good enough with pretty much low settings, (2-2) at 1600x1200 res.

Yes, it is a shame there is so little interest and so few players online. Since the GameSPY fiasco, player numbers have gotten real low.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
They haven't gotten low, they started low.

If Epic did hardware surveys like valve, this wouldn't be a problem.

what? you mean like how HL2 didn't run at all on 75% of the machines out there when it was released?

UT3 worked good enough on 2 year old machines, not great, but it well enough to mess around with it. Initially I used the computer I bought before UT2004 was released (with only a newer GPU, 6800gt). The main reason I bought a new PC was because I didn't want to wait that long for the unrealscript compiler to finish.

But in the end, it all comes down to... if the game doesn't run... don't buy it. Epic gave you a good chance to test this out with the demo they released. Unlike a **** load of other devs that don't even release a demo.

I can't understand why people make so much fuss about this that are 100% entertainment, yet don't care at all about things that do matter, like how retarded laws government passes to battle "terrorism", etc.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
But in the end, it all comes down to... if the game doesn't run... don't buy it. Epic gave you a good chance to test this out with the demo they released. Unlike a **** load of other devs that don't even release a demo.

Not sure if it's due to driver enhancements or engine tweaks but the retail release runs much better than than the demo did on my 3.5 year old setup. They really should consider pushing out an updated demo once the next patch comes. If there's a new patch coming (I seem to have gotten knocked off the server admin list so I have no idea what's going on anymore).

@AE - Add more RAM. RAM is cheap. You can get 4 GB from Crucial for ~$80 now. Otherwise, I'll gladly take your rig off your hands if you're not happy with it ;)

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I know what my system needs, most of my disposable income is just being spent on another hobby right now. Between that and now having a car payment, my budget is tight. Apparently, if your car is worth something, the insurance is more too :rolleyes:

As well, I've actually been reading more about this election lately than posting about or playing this game, including watching the VP debates with some friends last night.

Yeah, HL2 was a bit steep when it came out, but from what I remember most of the other games in that series have run better on average systems. I know orange box came out after UT3, and I ran it great, despite UT3 choking my system. I actually didn't bother with hl2 when it came out, because I was too hooked on multiplayer. I actually didn't play hl2, until orange box, where I played through the whole thing up to episode 2.

I guess it really doesn't matter, because consoles don't have this problem. It really seems to be the direction to take for game devs for far too many reasons.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
As well, I've actually been reading more about this election lately than posting about or playing this game, including watching the VP debates with some friends last night.
No, that's also entertainment, but not really interactive (and average light switch provides more choice than US "democracy"). I'm talking about the real government stuff.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
No, that's also entertainment, but not really interactive (and average light switch provides more choice than US "democracy"). I'm talking about the real government stuff.

I gotta start somewhere. Politics is pretty far from things I'm excessively interested in. Just kind of forcing it on myself in light of recent events. Trust, it is not entertaining.

If it makes you comfortable to believe that I don't own many PC games and simply just enjoy playing a lot of console games over the computer because I do not know any better or because I can't "cope" competitively on the PC, then hey. Power to you.

Naa, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just expressing a different view point. I'm more saying your lucky if the guy next to you is satisfying competition. It usually isn't for me.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I gotta start somewhere. Politics is pretty far from things I'm excessively interested in. Just kind of forcing it on myself in light of recent events. Trust, it is not entertaining.
Then look at the actual governing, i.e. the construction and passing of laws.
Because these campaigns are just smoke, mirrors and a whole bunch of empty lies.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Naa, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just expressing a different view point. I'm more saying your lucky if the guy next to you is satisfying competition. It usually isn't for me.

Actually thats a good point. TBH i prefer bots. :lol: They are enough competition for me. I prefer the guy sitting next to me because i actually know him. But he's more fun if it is in a coop situation. Usually it's no fun going competitive with him because i whoop his ass.
LAN parties are good for coop.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
If you're looking for people who can give you a run for your money in game, come to fragbu, I'm 100% positive that most of us can do this. :p