Should I play Unreal Gold or Unreal: 1st Generation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
I've not played Unreal properly before (I gave it a go, but didn't get far, as I have so many games in my backlog), but I want to give it a proper go. But I've seen the Unreal Tournament mod 1st Generation ( http://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-tournament-1st-generation ), which says:

"Unreal Tournament: 1st Generation is a Standalone Expansion Pack for Unreal Tournament, it includes Unreal and Unreal's Expansion Pack, this allows for new weapons like the Grenade Launcher, CAR and Rocket Launcher from Unreal: Return to Na Pali, UT1G does not require Unreal Tournament to run, no installation required either as it is a standalone, it is mod friendly, online capabilities to play against players on Unreal and Unreal Tournament, this mod features: All maps from Unreal, All Unreal Tournament Character models, Unreal and Unreal Tournament weapons, Singleplayer capability, Multiplayer capability, WORM mutator to allow you to choose either Unreal or Unreal Tournament Weapons. Good news to all Unreal fans of Nali Weapons, this mod is compatible with Nali Weapons 3." [copied and pasted from the moddb.com page]

Anyway, as a (more or less) newcomer to Unreal, should I play the original game (I have the Unreal Gold pack), or UT + the 1st Generation mod? Logically, I'd imagine I should play Unreal Gold, as it's the original game*, and I can always try the 1st Generation mod later, to see how they differ, but is the 1st Generation significantly better in any way that means I should play that instead of Unreal Gold? What differences are there between Unreal Gold, and 1st Generation?

* Is Unreal Gold different from the original release of Unreal (aside from the addition of the expansion pack?

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Definitely Unreal Gold. UT has some modifications to Unreal's AI that make monster behavior just a tad different. Tiny details that change the experience.

* Unreal Gold = Unreal + RTNP + UT's UnrealWindows interface.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
AI differences? I didn't notice any. Oh well I can beat enemies down no matter what so lol

Between those two get Unreal Gold. I don't even know what that 1st generation thing is.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Basically it doesn't cheat as much in dodging but cheats more in shooting.

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Damn you guys for making me miss NaPali...

I tossed my coop server back up: 66.55.137.218:7777

It's coop with my custom controller built off the back of ccoop (full credits go to those guys, I just added some toys). Mapvote is enabled if you want to zap over to a particular pack/map. There are bound to be some odd bugs but it's a good server to explore on. You have some commands you can enter via console:
mutate guns
mutate trans
mutate light
mutate dark
mutate open
mutate close

Explore and have fun if you want to revisit.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Unreal but only the old 20# builds with the wimpy sounds and the dispersion particles.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
If you can play the original 200 build version, (original release) that has the reverb on. 227 patch might bring all that back. If no other do Unreal Gold, don't play the UT mods, experience the game as meant.

Give us any updates on your progress and if your stuck feel free to ask here.

pcube

Jun 22, 2011
U1 or UGold are both great, but if in the future you want to play online Gold will probably work more to your favor. Unreal1 version 226f has horrendous networking code from what I understand. 227 is also a good option. I use 227 as a client and don't have many issues with it.

Edit: DEFINITELY play the original Unreal over the UT-with-Unreal-content option. Unreal in UT just doesn't feel the same, especially with OldSkool (which is hack hell).

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[]KAOS[]Casey;2563557 said:
Explain yourself.

224v has unoptimized netcode, LOD mesh for Moon1: a sphere{which results in numerous crashes depending on what mods are being used}, and broken case(switch) statements.

Am I missing something?
Wat. 224v had the best netcode.... except for 227 probably. But anyway I'm mostly just joking. Surely the best way is to experience v200 the way it was meant to be played.

[]KAOS[]Casey

227 dev
May 17, 2009
California
www.klankaos.com
225f+ has NetUpdateFrequency which can be used to lower bandwith usage and increase update rate of particularly valuable actors such as PlayerPawn/Bot or Projectiles, and decrease the update rates of things like Barrels or lower priority things in order to give optimal gameplay for DM purposes. There's a mutator floating around somewhere that further modifies these values for minimal net traffic except where needed. This is the only visible change to my knowledge, among a slew of non visible(C++) changes that also made performance better.

The only real wtf about 200/220 is the old ass sounds. They're all generic and kind of whatever.(Some are awesome though) Makes you wonder if they just didn't have the budget for the newer ones or if there was some licensing issue.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
I've tried running Unreal 200 before in glide wrappers but it always throws me out with a error message.

Too bad I'd like to play through Unreal with the old hardcore sounds and other cool things like dispersion particles and overpowered amplifiers.