Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So there has not been a lot of chatter about this game. It's kind of sad. Played it last night and it is freaking awesome. You get the Chainsword within the first 30 minutes of the game and you can basically destroy all Orks with it. They throw plenty of enemies at you, not piddly amounts that you can handle with ease. I died several times because I got overrun, but the feeling of standing in an enormous army of Orks and just destroying them with the chainsword was simply one of the coolest things I've done in a game. I killed well over 100 Orks by the time I got through the first level.

The game has a decidedly Darksiders feel to it, but it is oh so much more than Darksiders. There is a demo on Steam. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe it gets the point across.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Yeah I played the demo a while ago, it most certainly was a lot of fun (especially the jump-pack level), but I can see the basic mechanics getting repetitive or tiring stretched over the length of a full game.

I have some questions about it (for those who have played it enough) because I don't know much about it other than what was in the demo.

Are there weapon upgrades?
Is there a progression/skill points system for your squad of dudes?
Weapon/gun combos other than X,X,Y?
Orks only? Tyranids?
Varied levels with some interesting objectives? :p

These are things that might convince me to buy it...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've only played it for about an hour so I'm not sure about that yet. I think a lot of people complained about Darksiders getting repetitive and I never really thought so. I don't know if it's worth $50 or not, but, so far, it is really fun :)

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I've only played it for about an hour so I'm not sure about that yet. I think a lot of people complained about Darksiders getting repetitive and I never really thought so. I don't know if it's worth $50 or not, but, so far, it is really fun :)

I got bored of Darksiders after the first stage of the Black Throne dungeon. I was told to go power up 2 more conduits or whatever, after which I just said "no" to the game. :p

Apparently after that it's just backtracking through the same dungeons doing fetch quests... so yeah.

It was a great game, just outstayed its welcome imo.

I'll maybe go read some reviews of Space Marine. ;)

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
+1 for sale grab for me. (along with deus EX)

the demo was great. You really do get mauled if you don't know how to play. once I discovered the trick to stun enemies and regain health, it was awesome (and less brutal than before :D )

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Gears is about standing behind chest high walls and shooting. This game is about standing in the middle of a hundred Orks and slicing them into bits.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
watched giantbombs quicklook on it (back in the day when I could watch videos :() and it looked pretty spiffy with a good sense of impact on the melee hits or whatever. Jetpacking looked fun but I was a bit bummed when (I think) they said your access to the jetpack is limited by the campaign.

I find the warhammer universe a bit interesting in the sense that the visual design is almost of comical/toyish proportions. I could never put my finger on whether it's intended as such or if it's meant to look dead-seriously badass.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I got bored of Darksiders after the first stage of the Black Throne dungeon. I was told to go power up 2 more conduits or whatever, after which I just said "no" to the game. :p

Apparently after that it's just backtracking through the same dungeons doing fetch quests... so yeah.

It was a great game, just outstayed its welcome imo.

I'll maybe go read some reviews of Space Marine. ;)

One more beam, and I ... will be free. One ... more beam, and I will be free. One more beam, and I will... be free.

I played the demo. I have a friend who snagged it, and he seems to be pretty into it. It was fun, for sure, but I'm not really in the market for that kind of game right now. I could also see it getting pretty old after a while. I've never been into Warhammer, either, so that might make a big difference. I played Warhammer Online briefly, but that's pretty different from WH40K.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I have my copy.

There are no combat controls other than pressing the X button 0-3 times, then pressing either X or Y.

What's more hilarious is that each weapon has all it's combos listed in the manual individually, despite being said x*X, X||Y in the first place.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
I have my copy.

There are no combat controls other than pressing the X button 0-3 times, then pressing either X or Y.

What's more hilarious is that each weapon has all it's combos listed in the manual individually, despite being said x*X, X||Y in the first place.

That cracked me up when I played the demo. I guess maybe they were going to implement more or weapon specific combos but never got around to it?