CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've had the P90 for a while and I think it's nice up close. though my playing style still fits more with the Light Machinegun and a Desert Eagle. I usually prefer the RPD LMG with a grip because I like the accuracy the grip provides and the RPD has a decent iron sight. The M60E is more powerful, but I have a hard time seeing through that bulky sight. You can really mow people down quickly at medium to long range.

That's what's fun about the game - there are a number of different effective combinations of perks, attachments, and weapons to suit many styles of play.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Level 41 now, I played a lot and practiced. I try to avoid HC server as much as possible. I think the game get more and more satisfiyng as you progress trough the unlocks.

Before I went to level 41 I only played with a AK-74 with a silencer attached, I tried to improve my close range combat skills and just drop the idea of fighting long range most of the time. And that worked. I now get a Higher kill ratio and the game is more enjoyable. I keep on getting Air strikes and Helicopter support, which I think I got once when I started playing. My grenade skills also improved a tad, which helps a lot.

The P90 is still amazing, if not ever more than before (Damn it's accurate with Steady aim). I unlocked the silencer in like 2 spammy games and that's definitively my playing style. Flanking with a silencer weapon. :tup:

You should try using other weapons. I was addicted to the M4 for a while, but using other weapons to get those challenge bonuses really helps ranking up faster. I think after I focused more on challenges I went form level 35 to 55 in a little more than a week. I also got more comfortable using a larger variety of weapons. I had never thought I would be able to use the uzi or skorpion, but with the red dot sights they are so much easier. Also, since you don't play hardcore much, while using grenades, the crosshair "bounces" every second while its cooking, so you can count up to 3 secs before throwing, I found it improves a lot. If on non-hardcore, I found counting quickly to ten is ~ 3 seconds.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I find the Machine guns to be efficient for shooting trough walls or defend. But I can't personally use that weapon full time, so yeah. They seem to have done a good job at making each weapon respond to your playing style. And yeah the M60E Iron Sight is quite a pain.

I have to try the Desert Eagle more often when I unlock it because I don't think I even made a kill with it so far, and tried to. However, I can use the default pistol well so I might just stick to the default one.

Non related:
I got kicked last night for "camping" in Countdown. I think the server admin just got pissed because I killed him too much. :eek:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The Desert Eagle really packs a punch and it has a good sight.

I like the Assault Rifles really well too, they're really satisfying to shoot. The G3 with a Red Dot Sight is my current favorite.

I haven't used the Shotguns very much, but I've seen people using them to great effect, particularly on Snipe-heavy maps like Bloc.

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
I have a blue m14, getting close to red.

one shot in hc kills but it has so much recoil if you miss you probably wont get off another shot.

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
I can use any weapon in the game effectively. Although, there are certain weapons I prefer over others, of course.
When I first started, I was more of a long range player. Now, my playstyle is usually very aggressive.
I always try to flank and push my way behind enemy lines and take them all out before they know what hit them. :D

EDIT: We should have a FragBU CoD4 edition. :eek:

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I have a problem here, I only see god damn stupid HC servers from now on. :mad:
Give me a break, HC is the worse gametype of all times.

• It favors camping.
  • It only takes a very few hits before you die.
  • It kills the purpose of using silencers.
  • It removes everything from your hud.
  • Campers gets streak and with those they get UAV support and ETC.
  • Nade warnings were perfect - it removes it. Favoring more nade spam!
  • It makes baby Jesus Cry.

Who ever thinks Hardcore is great should leave this game and play CS:S instead FFS, come on. :(
This game had purpose until everyone felt in love with HC.

I also hate the fact that there are no filters options for Hardcore servers.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It doesn't sound as if you've played enough HC to understand it, unfortunately. It's hardcore. It's supposed to be somewhat more realistic in that:
  • It favors camping. It discourages retards bunny hopping and blazing in like Rambo. It also encourages you to use your sights just like you would with a real weapon.
  • It only takes a very few hits before you die. (it is hardcore, you know)
  • It kills the purpose of using silencers. silencers still diminish audio cues.
  • It removes everything from your hud. (that's kind of the point)
  • Campers gets streak and with those they get UAV support and ETC. (get kills you get rewards - just like always)
  • Nade warnings were perfect - it removes it. Favoring more nade spam! (it's hardcore - and you still get the audio cue of it hitting the ground and you still only have limited grenades)
I think you've been playing on overcrowded HC servers.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
I have a problem here, I only see god damn stupid HC servers from now on. :mad:
Give me a break, HC is the worse gametype of all times.

• It favors camping.
  • It only takes a very few hits before you die.
  • It kills the purpose of using silencers.
  • It removes everything from your hud.
  • Campers gets streak and with those they get UAV support and ETC.
  • Nade warnings were perfect - it removes it. Favoring more nade spam!
  • It makes baby Jesus Cry.

Allow me to express my opinion. :)

• It favors camping. - On normal servers the opposite happens: people with Juggernaut and Extreme Conditioning charge straight at opponents knifing them in the face.
  • It only takes a very few hits before you die. - Good, see above point. :)
  • It kills the purpose of using silencers. - Disagreed 100%. It actually adds to the purpose of using silencers, as without them people will immediately spot you and kill you. Remember: silencers also reduce muzzle flash.
  • It removes everything from your hud. - Awesome, a nice view. :D
  • Nade warnings were perfect - it removes it. Favoring more nade spam! - Nade warnings were useless: everybody immediately ran away from the nade symbol on their hud, meaning a lobbed in nade rarely killed anyone. Now I can kill again with them. :)

I also hate the fact that there are no filters options for Hardcore servers.

Agreed, I'd like to filter out non-HC. ;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
How about a TF2 one too?
I haven't actually played COD4 online yet. I played through the single-player on the third difficulty, whatever it's called, a couple of days after I built my new computer. I have, however, played a fair amount of TF2, and I think it'd go over pretty well at FragBU. Very well, even.

As for my reasons for not playing COD4... Well, first, I can only play one or two games at a time, so that's delayed me for awhile, not only in playing COD4 but others like Forged Alliance and Phantom Hourglass. Secondly, after the UT3 debacle, I'm kind of worried I'll end up disappointed again, and I don't want that to happen. :(

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
You won't for the same reasons. This is a polished game. The only downside is the somewhat dodgy server browser, that takes up the whole connection and makes xfire/teamspeak disconnect. It does show all the server again thanks to the latest patch though.