A ride through Chernobyl

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
ukraine isn't all that expensive, you can get a good room with breakfast for maybe 10 or 15 euro in most villages, just be shure to exchange them to the right currencys, as euro or dollars won't get you anywhere over there. if you speak russian you are on the save side, but most people understand at least a bit german or english. thats propably what i like most about it, you hardly met other tourists, and it isn't like in kroatia where just about everybody speaks german, so you won't see anything of the country at all.

w00p

Windows at its best
I meant closing them, to prevent things like chernobyl happening, not making things like chernobyl happen.
Especially since I have no intentions to move 100KM to live in a car with the family next to thousands of others, whilst living with the knowledge your house is just standing there, everything you ever had, just standing there...
Creepy!
/me shivers

I think I'll use a key... :)

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
nuclear power creates a lot less waster then coal plants. shure the waste is a problem, but it is less a problem then the poluted air caused by coal or oil plants. water power isn't an option in most places and and alternative energys are still far to ineffective to be used as the main supplyment for energy. we have a lot of wind energy plants where i live, and they hardly produce enough energy to supply a small village, not to mention any kind of industry.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Just took another look at the pictures and I started to see the scope of the area that was effected... amazing. I heard a story about some jerk-offs trying an unauthorized little experiment with the reactor and causing the meltdown, is that true at all?

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Due to their poor design, RBMK-1000 reactors like the one at Chernobyl are dangerously unstable at below 20% output. The disaster was triggered by an emergency shutdown drill which took all four reactor cores below that critical value; one became unstable and suffered a full-scale meltdown.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
The accident in reactor no. 4 at the Chernobyl nuclear power station took place in the night of 25 to 26 April 1986, during a test. The operating crew planned to test whether the turbines could produce sufficient energy to keep the coolant pumps running in the event of a loss of power until the emergency diesel generator was activated.
In order to prevent the test run of the reactor being interrupted, the safety systems were deliberately switched off. For the test, the reactor had to be powered down to 25 per cent of its capacity. This procedure did not go according to plan: for unknown reasons, the reactor power level fell to less than 1 per cent. The power therefore had to be slowly increased. But 30 seconds after the start of the test, there was a sudden and unexpected power surge. The reactor’s emergency shutdown (which should have halted the chain reaction) failed.

Within fractions of a second, the power level and temperature rose many times over. The reactor went out of control. There was a violent explosion. The 1000-tonne sealing cap on the reactor building was blown off. At temperatures of over 2000°C, the fuel rods melted. The graphite covering of the reactor then ignited. In the ensuing inferno, the radioactive fission products released during the core meltdown were sucked up into the atmosphere.

http://www.chernobyl.info/en/Facts/Accident/Explosion

I find radiological accidents very freaky... Almost demonic, our punishment for going too far or something.

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Cold Killer said:
Just took another look at the pictures and I started to see the scope of the area that was effected... amazing. I heard a story about some jerk-offs trying an unauthorized little experiment with the reactor and causing the meltdown, is that true at all?
M_O_DJerry said:
Yeah, of course, this was authorised by the secret, hidden government that's flying around in black helicopters. :D

No, honestly, never heard of anything like that.
I guess everyone just automatically tries to sarcastically demean me, regardless of whether or not I'm right.