Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Matchmaking seems fine so far. But I'm worried with the player count. Can they afford it? Do they have enough ~20+ players? Will they keep them with the must-/mute-15-years-old-EGO?

Like right now (11 AM) is a bad deal to join a game NA-EAST, I join half empty games where I have the same morons muted from other games, I totally expected that. Trying to join another CTF game sends me in the same game again.

I think the new matchmaking is a good idea, but I doubt they can afford it.
Looks like I am playing around super time now.. :/

And I got to say, I'm re-discovering why server admins WERE a good (but also bad) thing.

I ragequit today. The game won't stop fucking minimising on me.

Having issues with the hit detection?

... and needed nerfs for a few blatantly OP weapons.

Like the 4th-or-so Plasma Gun nerf? :lol:

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, I guess the match making got updated before this patch, The games I played last night were the first with nothing but gold+ in them, I think there was one silver, and more platinum and obsidian in there than I've ever seen before.

Was rough playing, especially once it filled up, which we had like 26+ in one game at 5am EST, but it was awesome playing with nothing but people who had a clue. Games were always close, and time expired. I don't think a team capped out once.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
I have 2 monitors and play fullscreen but that never happened for me.

And yea, you do tend to run into the same players over and over again now. But the games are still much better than the llamafest it used to be.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It's all about awareness. Sometimes it just doesn't matter.

One of my games last night had good returns that were replied to with even better egrabs.

Typically if the server population is that clueless, I just start chasing, because it's the only hope my team has. I'll return immediately, K, rinse, repeat, unless my FFC makes it more than half way back, then I might try to stall. Of course, even then he could bypass the stand because he thinks it's safer to rabbit, than find defense.

Rabbits piss me off more than anything in that game.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I saw mention of Blitz when I had checked. I like the patch notes. DMB won't be so ridiculously spammy with its chaingun anymore. I remember this one match where there were three DMBs hanging around the flagstand. All with chainguns. It was like watching anti-air cannons firing off from a distance. Also glad that the Rockwind is receiving a nerf, even if I still have to upgrade it, mostly.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Heh, well, I wouldn't call MY Chaingun "spammy" but I can't say the nerf is unwelcome.

I really don't think it will slow me down much.

The Rockwind actually did less DPS than the TCN4... I prefer the TCN4, so I'm actually kind of disappointed that they aren't receiving a tandem nerf. They should be equal, with the idea of "variants" and all. I think all they will really do by not nerfing them in tandem, is make the Rockwind obsolete.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Swimming by this thread again simply because I saw the legendary AEnubis posted. How ya been, Pal?

Once some real life stuff clears up I hope to warm up my chain gun again.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Heh, well, I wouldn't call MY Chaingun "spammy" but I can't say the nerf is unwelcome.

I really don't think it will slow me down much.

The Rockwind actually did less DPS than the TCN4... I prefer the TCN4, so I'm actually kind of disappointed that they aren't receiving a tandem nerf. They should be equal, with the idea of "variants" and all. I think all they will really do by not nerfing them in tandem, is make the Rockwind obsolete.

It could use a fire rate buff, but I mean... the idea is that the thing does 100 damage per hit in the future patch. That's stronger than the chaingun will be, per hit. It makes sense to me, at least, to incentivize accuracy with the thing, but eh. Some of the 'sidegrades' seem more like downgrades to me anyhow. The Dust Devil, for example is a downgrade imho.

I'm a primarily offensive player, and switching to a defensive playstyle is new and refreshing.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Hola :)

Hit with some real life myself, but with this games age and all, not much foruming. Ascend has kind of given me something to do, and post about at length, so that's nice and all. Still try to pop my head in here, and see what's what. I was playing TAM pretty regularly until Ascend came along, but you know how that community is.

Be cool to see some Ci guys in there. This patch will also introduce clan tags, so finding people might get easier, I never know if people use the same tags game to game.

That and I tell you what, I missed this in T2, because I was very casual at it, but... this game gives the upper level egos like whoah. I'm saying, there was some pompous crap on prou in regards to guys at the top level of UT, but my god, Tribes is amazing, in how pompous those "pro" guys can be. It's kind of a deterrent really. One which I will aptly try to ignore, but would look forward to seeing talented cats who actually have any social graces in game.

@Vaskadar: Well, they put out the Chaincannon variant, which rewards accuracy sort of. Does more damage, but less RoF. The reward is really more ammo. I love it personally, and have replaced the Chaingun in all my loadouts with it. Which is all of them, since the HBL just can't compare.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Be cool to see some Ci guys in there. This patch will also introduce clan tags, so finding people might get easier, I never know if people use the same tags game to game.

I had to stop playing a few months ago, but there were several of us Ci guys playing Ascend on a regular basis - me, Scumgrief, slag, gunker, Lovens, Peregrine...just to name a few.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I might have seen Peregrine.... that's cool. I thought I should have asked.

I had a couple UT buddies early on, but they were not as friendly, and mostly played arena... I pretty much exclusively play CTF, with some occasional CnH when I'm just sick of trying to carry bad teams and failing.