Most amazing racing simulation ever.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
http://www.richardburnsrally.com/

I just got it, and i have to say, i've never ever enjoyed any racing game remotely close to this one. I even went out and bought some velcro pads to mount my steering wheel to my desk, just so i could enjoy this game even more.

I highly suggest you disregard this if you either A) don't like games that involve alot of learning, or b) don't have a steering wheel. I have a cheapo 30$ steering wheel, shift-up/down, and double pedal, and its all i need.

Anywho, the game is amazing. Its rally racing, of course, and although i know nothing of rally racing, and hardly anything about cars in general, i discovered that although attacking a corner can be beneficial on sharp angles, its generally easier to lock the wheels into the curve of the road and let the road take you where it goes.

That and the pacenoting, having a guy sitting next to me calling out "Sharp left, into easy right with crest. Watch out for the bridge." takes out the lonliness experienced in other games.

It offers a very fun driving school, including a free range in which you can try whatever you want with your car.

I suggest automobile-fans check it out, and anyone with an Act-labs Force RS who hasn't yet played this, wasted alot of money.

media02.jpg

Features:
-Richard Burns, World Champion, 2001
-Pure authentic Rally Simulation
-8 of the world's best handling officially licensed Rally Cars
-36 tracks in great rally locations and real life environments
officially licensed
-Rally School to become a professional
-1000's of potholes, ruts and rocks
-Helicopter Rescues
-Real life animals and birdstrikes
-Spectacular Crashes
-Spectators and Marshals that really help
-Dynamic Weather
-Real time of day
-Realistic Crash damage

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
hmm that's nice, but I'm not sure eye candy really counts in racing games since you shouldn't have the time to enjoy the view ;)

Also, why "Richard Burns, World Champion, 2001", were the recent world champions asking for too much money? :con:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Freon said:
hmm that's nice, but I'm not sure eye candy really counts in racing games since you shouldn't have the time to enjoy the view ;)

I know, i was never a fan of games that emphasised on prettiness and soley prettiness. But i've never had so much fun racing, either.

i enjoyed all the colin mcrae rally games. maybe ill give this a go. would you think it would be playable using a playstation controller? or is a wheel a must?

Before i tried it with my wheel, i got out my Logitech Rumblepad, basically a playstation controller. I found the steering too difficult, but you can add curvature and sliding maximum to the axes.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Formula One Challenge '99-'02 = best racing game ever. Too bad you can only get it from Hong Kong, nowadays.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
i couldn't agree more about rbr, good ol'e colin mcrae left my harddiskjust minutes after i finished the install, and is not expected to return ever again.

this game is by far the most realistic racing game i've ever seen, its just amazing how much it differs from your average -straight three line road through some forest- setup as seen in cmr.

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party racing wheel for the Xbox? I've been looking for an excuse to buy one and this game seems just perfect.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Approx said:
It looks freaking great, but I want a demo, damn it.

How's the damage modeling and the crash type physics?
excellent as far as i can tell. But again, i've never actually experienced a rally car flipping 5 times in mid-air because i attacked a bridge at the wrong angle -- in real life.

Anywho, a bird just divebombed into my windsheild and i was driving around with a dead bird the rest of the match.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
screen004.jpg

I have concluded that colour is the most important aspect in photorealism.

By the way, they say:

The game will be produced on DVD in England, France and Germany and on CD-Rom in Spain, Italy, Czech Republic and Poland.

MINIMUM REQUIRED SPECIFICATION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1.6GHZ Processor
256MB Ram
64MB Video Card (Card must support Pixel Shading)
At least 3.10GB HD space
DirectX Compatible Soundcard

RECOMMENDED SPECIFICATION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2.6GHZ Processor
512MB Ram
128MB Video Card equivalent to NVIDIA Geforce FX5600 or ATI Radeon 9800
At least 3.10GB HD space
Windows 2000/XP
EAX Advanced HD compatible Soundcard
Logitech® MOMO® Racing Force Feedback Wheel

I have a 1.6ghz CPU, 512mb RAM, a crappy 150$ FX5700LE, SBLive, Dexxa wheel+pedal, and with all settings set to maximum, the game runs fine.

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Profe said:
I demand pics of these deadbirds.
That was unfortunately during a training session, in which you can't save replays (you can in matches). You could, however, view a replay. So i alt-tabbed out, started fraps, clicked the game back in, and it froze.

However, if you view the game trailer, you will see the driver swerve around two deer.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Well, hell. I went ahead and bought it, even without playing a demo first. I pretty much knew I had no choice when I realized that SCi Games was involved (it was involved in the orgasmic gaming experience known as Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now...wait, it was also involved in the debacle known as Carmageddon III: TDR 2000...crap!).

Derelan, I will hold you personally responsible if it turns out that I hate this game.

The_Pikeman

Also known as Howski
Nov 20, 2001
Caerphilly, Wales
Visit site
I didn't think too much of it on the xbox .... but then again it might be good on the PC .... oh and if it's not out in your country you can always uh download it and send the company some money...
-how.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I had to take a trip to Texas the day after I received Richard Burns Rally, so I haven't had much of a chance to get acquainted with it yet. But my initial impression is that I am truly impressed with this game.

My goodness is it hard! But it is hard in a good way, in that it feels exceptionally realistic. Unlike probably 95 percent of the world's video game playing population, I actually like the fact that what would be a minor collision in any other racing game will force you to retire in RBR. Add to that some fantastically realistic looking levels, decent crash physics/damage modeling, and what looks like quite few levels, and I've got a game that'll keep me happy for awhile.

A note about the graphics: My girlfriend isn't into video games at all. In the past, whenever I would show her a particualrly impressive looking video game, her response would be something akin to "meh." However, when she came into the room while I was playing RBR, she said, "Adam, you are such a nerd. Hmmm...but that game does look very realistic." Yeah, it looks that good :) .

One thing I am concerned about: The steering seems a little off, sorta. I am new to to the "Using a Steering Wheel and Pedals to Play Your Racing Games" scene, so I might just be missing a setting somewhere, but when I use the steering wheel I always get a massive "pendulum effect." What's weirder is that in RBR, it seems like it is ten times worse when using a chase style camera. If I choose the in car camera, the car seems much easier to control. Have you noticed anything similar, Derelan? Either way, do have any general steering wheel set up tips? I have a force feedback Logitech MOMO, by the way.