BeyondUnreal Podcast

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
What about rendering some older demo recordings if such as thing can be found?

Stuff like that could very well have a home on archive.org. :]

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's really easy to record video now. I used OBS to record the gameplay from the last video. The game just has to be using directx 9 or above. So for UT99 you need the newer drivers. For UT2004 they had an experimental one in the x64 patch, but I haven't been able to get OBS to play with it yet.

I'll pull video from the Epic streams and past BU video, but the more we have the better the end product will be. If you play, record it.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I could probably eventually go on and talk about the last few months of FragBU, trying to get players back but slowly watching it die out, how the same thing seemed to happen to pug play etc. Though people would get so depressed they'd hang themselves afterwards.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm done editing the next episode, but premiere is giving me this "unknown error" bs when I export. So it will be another day. I have a suspicion that it's the webm clips it doesn't like.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'm done editing the next episode, but premiere is giving me this "unknown error" bs when I export. So it will be another day. I have a suspicion that it's the webm clips it doesn't like.

Did you try to open another new project and import all your content and such?

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Did you try to open another new project and import all your content and such?

The issue was that the WebM plugin I found for Premiere wasn't working well, and prevented me from exporting anything that included a WebM clip. So I converted them all to MP4, and redid it.

Lots of room for improvement. I really wanted to play with the encoding more as there's some odd artifacts, but I ran out of time. That will be my big focus for next time. I'm going to try a higher bitrate for the source video, and encode with FFMpeg instead of the Premiere presets.

It's taking a while to process but the video should be here:

[M]http://youtu.be/KI-Uq8gMuTk[/M]

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
No promises. We do want to have guests on, and I already have a number of people I want to invite based on their contributions. People who have developed prototypes and so forth. But we just aren't ready for that yet. Baby steps.

m3ss

Former Has-Been
May 29, 2014
Virginia
Hey guys! I enjoyed the first two podcasts and I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing more. Regarding video recording, if you're having trouble using OBS I would highly recommend ShadowPlay (Nvidia 600+ series cards). It's a fantastic piece of software that utilizes the videocard itself to encode the footage. If you don't have Nvidia though, I'd recommend either FRAPS or dxtory. Shadowplay is free, but FRAPS/dxtory both require small fees if you don't want the watermark or certain recording limitations. If you're looking for any assistance with recording/streaming setup or just need some footage, I'd be happy to help out. Best of luck to you guys moving forward!

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Right now I'm using OBS with the encoder set to fastest and a bitrate of 4000. I'm going to up it to 15000 next time, but a new videocard is certainly in order. Probably should get a new monitor too so I can record at 1080p resolution instead of 1280x1024.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've been planning to get a GTX760 at some point if they would just get a little cheaper already. Right now, I'm on a GTX 460.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I've been planning to get a GTX760 at some point if they would just get a little cheaper already. Right now, I'm on a GTX 460.

Wait for the 800 series to come out. Looks like they are going make a massive leap in performance, due to the new nano scale.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
A very nice podcast (sorry...didn't finish the first one as it was too hard to hear everything over the gameplay sounds :eek: ), and I agree to pretty much anything.

Sure, there are some comments on the epic forums that UT3 actually did have an active community, but in comparison, there's no denying that it was smaller than UT2004 and UT.

The one thing I disagree to, however, is the comment about the z-axis. It wasn't because UT2004 had relatively complex movements going on that brought it more interesting stuff in vertical play. I wouldn't even put it on the larger map scale. No, it was just the simple matter of level design. There were fairly many jump pads, and lifts off which you couldn't do a lift jump to another platform were rather rare. UT3's stock maps didn't actively encourage you that much, but there are quite some community ones that do. And of course there are jump boots. I wished those were used in maps a bit more, but I guess that's how things go.
(oh, and...not exactly related, but UT3 also had a higher air control than previous UT's. You can almost change direction in mid-air when performing a dodge).

No promises. We do want to have guests on, and I already have a number of people I want to invite based on their contributions. People who have developed prototypes and so forth. But we just aren't ready for that yet. Baby steps.
Wormbo or LuauDesign, by any chance? We all know Wormbo from a long time ago (and certainly deserves a say), but LuauDesign's post are always interesting to read. He has a way of bringing completely new ideas to the table that often still feel like UT. :)

Last edited: