First Build

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
Now that christmas has come and gone and the sales are already beginning, I have decided it's time to start choosing parts for my new gaming machine. Then I realised, I don't really know what I'm doing. So I figured I'd get you guys to do it all for me help me. I've never built a computer before, I've done plenty of upgrades and once done a clean install of XP, I'm presuming I'll just be combining the two, but any links to guides that can help me will be very much appreciated.

I have a budget of around £800(although I'd rather not spend it all if I don't need to). I may need a new monitor as well; I'll have to check if my old CM615 still works. My OS will be Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

Here are a few UK sites for hardware:
http://www.ebuyer.co.uk
http://www.novatech.co.uk
http://www.dabs.com
http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Optimally, I would like this machine to last for a good 4 years(with upgrades), so I'm presuming a future ready mobo will be a neccesity. As for soundcards; I can live with onboard.

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
I'll be building the system over the next few days. I could post an illustrated guide as I put it together if you like...

That would be awesome, and I think I'll be using the same cpu and mobo as you. Unfortunately, my cm615 is as dead as a dodo, so I'll have to get a new monitor as well.

EDIT:
Ok, how does this sound:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 iP55 Socket 1156 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

HDD: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

Case: Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - No PSU

Graphics: HIS HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Optical drive: Sony AD-5240S 24x DVD±RW DL Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM

RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

PSU: Antec Signature Premium 650W Power Supply

Monitor: LG W1954TQ 19" TFT Monitor 1440x900 300cd/m2 50,000:1 (dynamic) 2ms 16:9 DVI-D/VGA Gloss Black

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
Ok, I'll go with the IPS monitor, and I've changed the case to an Antec 300, which has room for more fans. I'm also considering getting the cooler Deathmaker mentioned in the other thread, as I do intend to overclock at some point.

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
Well, I've decided to stick with the antec, as I want this rig to last a while, and a quality psu should last this rig through its lifetime. I've ordered everything now, final specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
HDD: Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM
GPU: HIS HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
Optical Drive: Sony AD-5240S 24x DVD±RW DL Internal SATA Black Bare Drive - OEM
Case: Antec 300 Three Hundred Case
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3
PSU: 650W Antec Signature
Cooler: Titan Fenrir Special Edition
RAM: 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3, PC3-12800
Monitor: Dell 2209WA

I also ordered some Arctic Silver 5, since everyone seems to use it.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
I see you went for the Christmas edition Titan, apparently, it even smells of tinsel. :D

I realised earlier I'd dropped a bollock with my ram, I went for the Dominator stuff at 9-9-9-24 as it was £20 cheaper than the same stuff that is 8-8-8-24, it turns out the 1st one is 1.8v & the 2nd one is 1.65v (as per P55 spec). It would probably run ok undervolted but I didn't want to go through the hassle of either RMA'ing the stuff or driving up to Bolton if it didn't play nice. Luckily I managed to get a call through to Scan before the order was picked, I just hope it doesn't affect the delivery date.

Anyway, good luck with the build. :tup:

<edit> OK, I've just cancelled the Corsair from Scan & ordered some G-Skill RipJaw F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH from Aria. £25 cheaper, does 7-7-7-24 & apparently OC's well at stock voltage. :D

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
So wiring is turning into an absolute ****ing nightmare. When I try to turn it on I get nothing. I'm hoping I'm missing something obvious or doing something stupid, that way it'll be easier to fix.

[screenshot]http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/Xarniwoop/IMG_8265.jpg[/screenshot]

EDIT: Hmm, seems I get a loud 'click' from the power supply when I press the power button at the front of the machine

Last edited:

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Wow, that is messy! :D

Are all power connectors to the mobo in fully? It's easy enough to plug them in not quite enough for them to not quite make contact.

The odd times I've had no life on 1st boot has been a case issue causing a short on the mobo. I know it's a pain, but after checking all the obvious, I'd put the thing together out of the case & see if it comes to life.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Is the case power switch connected? Try disconnecting the switch at the mobo & briefly short the two terminals that the switch would connect to with a flat blade screwdriver. This will rule out a dodgy switch.

If there's still no power, disconnect the 20/24 pin connector from the mobo & jump start the psu by shorting the green wire & an adjacent black wire with a paperclip or some single core cable. If it powers up along with anything connected to any molex, then the psu is typically ruled out.

TBH, barring anything really silly like forgetting to put the cpu in, it's usually either a case caused short or a dead psu that causes this, the latter being the rarer. The last guy I knew with the same issue had screwed the mobo directly to the case tray without using the standoffs, hence the short. So, as I said earlier, have you tried it out of the case yet?

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
I tried it outside of the case and it worked, so I guess it's just the case shorting it. It's all on standoffs though, so I'm going to have a difficult time finding out what's causing it.

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
Well, It's all put together and working now, but I can't get it to post, the monitor says their is no input detected. They're connected togethor via a dvi cable between the monitor and the gfx card.

EDIT: I just tried linking it up to my parents CRT using a dvi to vga adapter and it went on stand-by.

Last edited:

Danja

Mar 16, 2008
Near Toronto (Canada)
Rather than suggesting parts, which my fellow posters have done better than I ever could, I can merely offer a few tidbits of advice that I learned the hard way when recently building my first machine:

-Make sure to check compatability. Reading the specs of a part might be confusing, but it's important to know that your motherboard has the proper slot for your CPU (mine is Slot 775 for example), or that your RAM will all fit into there.

-Build a computer with room to upgrade. It's a sad day when you get a state of the art bleeding edge gaming machine only to realise that your motherboard is only JUST compatable with newer parts, and that when you feel like upgrading you'll have to start over.

Your budget seems plenty beefy, especially already having an OS and moniter.

All I can say from that is that for the inner geek computer building is a joy, so take your time, be careful and enjoy it. If you can install parts and an OS there shouldn't be too much that'll trouble you.

Zarniwoop

is cool
Jan 20, 2008
Ceredigion, UK
It's stable with no changes to the bios runs at 1197.17 Mhz at a load of 9.2%. I don't think I'll bother to overclock yet untill I need too. I'd just like to thank everyone in this thread who helped me, especially Skakruk who wrote an awesome guide. Oh, and it could just be my imagination, but the fan blades on the titan fenrir do smell a bit like tinsel :D