Batman Arkham Asylum Postmortem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Batman Arkham Asylum developer Sefton Hill of Rocksteady talks in-depth with Gamasutra about the origins and construction of the game, their reaction to the incredible critical and public reception it has received, and working with Unreal Engine 3.

We're big fans of Unreal (Engine 3), and there was a learning period when we were working on all those different prototypes. It was a good opportunity for us. There was about a year when we were working on the different prototypes and learning the tools and learning to get the best out of them.

That definitely gave us a great start when we started Batman. I think Unreal as an engine is really strong, and you have to work with it to do things the way it wants to do things. But as long as you do that, you can get some major results. I think we have a great relationship with Epic, and our philosophies are very closely matched. They really put the power into the hands of the content creators, which is very important for us. I can't speak highly enough for Epic and Unreal. It's a great engine.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but "okay" in no way sums up the critical reception nor my own experience with the game. It leans more to the "extraordinary" and "exceptional" part of the scale for me.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion
I don't agree, (quite) some people need to shut up :p

This was Rocksteady's second game. I'm really looking forward to what they are going to create next. Because this game was quite exceptional good (specially considering it was licensed IP) for a fairly new developer. And after reading that interview I quite like that company.

I'm not somebody that does pre-orders. But a week after playing the demo, I pre-ordered the special edition (I'm a sucker for proper special editions and other special things, like Bioshock's artbook).

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
This game is phenomenal. A video game finally did my favorite super hero justice!

With physx turned on I have crashes from time to time, but the game is so awesome that it hasn't detracted that much from my experience. I hope they do another.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I also wasn't blown away by it to the degree some other people were.
It was pretty fun, don't get me wrong but to me nothing phenomenal.
It looked really nice though.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm sure some people hate this game in the same way that some people find Beethoven as a garbage musician or Mozart as a bad artist. :)

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
No mod support, no level editor. The game is good for a playthough, and maybe doing the challenges once. But after that, there's not much point to keep playing.

Is there a sales figure by platform for this game?

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
No mod support, no level editor. The game is good for a playthough, and maybe doing the challenges once. But after that, there's not much point to keep playing.

On september 10th:
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady, Eidos/Square Enix), Xbox 360 - 303,000
5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady, Eidos/Square Enix), PS3 - 290,000

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25210

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com

I would see your point would this be a multiplayer game like UT3, TF2, L4D. I just don't really understand why you would need a level editor to justify this particular game. Some games are just meant to be played once, twice at best.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri

I'm OK with one play-though. I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of this one than a lot of the longer living games like L4D.

On september 10th:
4. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady, Eidos/Square Enix), Xbox 360 - 303,000
5. Batman: Arkham Asylum (Rocksteady, Eidos/Square Enix), PS3 - 290,000

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25210

I wonder about PC. I bought it on PC several weeks after it came out because of a dead power supply.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
It was a well made game I admit, but not worth $50. Good for one playthrough, maybe another on hard, and a few challenges.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

By your own admission the story mode and challenges are fun to play through (once?). What on earth is wrong with that?

(old guy mode) Back in the day we had a single level - with maybe a color-swap if we were lucky - and we liked it! (/ old guy mode)

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
I would see your point would this be a multiplayer game like UT3, TF2, L4D. I just don't really understand why you would need a level editor to justify this particular game. Some games are just meant to be played once, twice at best.

By your own admission the story mode and challenges are fun to play through (once?). What on earth is wrong with that?

I'm OK with one play-though.
The fact it has no modding doesn't affect the initial playthrough. As I said, that was quite good. However, modding would have help extend the longevity of the game, especially for a single player title such as this one. This isn't a point against the title, but it is something that it lacks even if it is not an issue with other people.

I wonder about PC. I bought it on PC several weeks after it came out because of a dead power supply.
I would have like to see the PC sales verses the other platforms, so we can see just how the industry is doing.