Unreal Anthology: both Unreal and Unreal II go way too fast

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
I installed Unreal Anthology. This includes both Unreal and Unreal II. It also includes UT and UT2004, but those work fine.

Both Unreal and Unreal II run way too fast. The flyby goes too fast, the briefing movie in Unreal II shows extremely fast animations, walking around is impossible because you're immediatly at a wall.

Also, now also the menu of Unreal II doesn't respond to the mouse.

How can I resolve all these issues and play Unreal II?

BTW I installed Unreal Anthology using Wine in Linux. In Linux, Unreal 1 works in software mode with normal speed, but with Direct3D mode too fast. In Windows, it also works without reinstalling (the files the Unreal Anthology installer installed while in Wine in Linux, run in Windows too - but, could that be the cause of the problem?). In Windows, both software and hardware mode make it run too fast in Unreal.
Unreal II doesn't work in Wine, and works too fast in Windows.

My last hope of playing Unreal II now is to play it in Windows and somehow resolve the too-fast issue...

I've always loved the extensibility of the Unreal engines. Why are both Unreal engine 1.0 and Unreal engine 2.0 suddenly turning against me? :s

EDIT: UT *also* doesn't work correct in Windows (sometimes normal speed, sometimes sudden short burst of fast speed, and mouse looking is almost impossible), while it does work perfectly under Wine in Linux! What's going on?

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
UE1 has a issue when it runs over 200 FPS. The short story is you're going to have to cap it. The long story...

1. Get Chris Dohnal's enhanced renderers: http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
  2. Install either the OpenGL one or the D3D9 one, assuming your card fully supports them. Otherwise, get the D3D8 Renderer. If you select the OpenGL one, allow it to overwrite the old one. (It's safe to let it do so.)
  3. Launch UT/Unreal, tell it to change your video device, and the game will close down to let you change it.
  4. Make sure you view all video devices (not just recommended!) and then select the renderer you downloaded from that site.
  5. Once it launches back up, reset your video rez, detail settings, etc.
  6. Close the game out and restart it. (This saves your preferences.) When the game launches, drop down the console (~) and type preferences and hit enter.
  7. Expand the little plus sign next to "Rendering" and then select either "OpenGL Support" or "Direct3D9 Support" (or Direct3D8 Support) depending on which renderer you downloaded.
  8. In there should be an option called "FrameRateLimit" - Set that to 200, hit Enter, close out the little dialog box and UT should re-maximize if you had it set for fullscreen.
  9. Close the game one more time, restart it, and you should be set.
That might seem to be a bit confusing, but it's not. Just proceed slowly, one step at a time, and you should fix it.

Then, once you've done that, why don't you read up on how you can make it look better? :)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
:D You've found the worst forum to post in for Unreal Anthology :D But we'll help anyway.
So yes, that trick works for UT. It should partially solve the problem. Now for U1:
Guess you used the Anthology fix? Otherwise you won't be able to play online. Get it here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/patch/MultiInstallerNetPatchV1.0_OMPV0.2.exe
Now with Unreal, URGLR simply won't quite work... Luckily, the link there includes OldUnreal Multimedia Patch - that means you'll get the last OpenGL installed. Switch to that rendering and set up the frame rate limit like Dark Pulse told you to do in UT. Switch your audio to FMOD or OpenAL as well.
That might only partially solve the problem. If something persists, disable one core for the game, you can use this tool:
http://hypernl.thenerdnetwork.net/dl/DualCoreFix.7z
For all of the games except UT2004 (with latest patch; UT2003 doesn't need that too, but it's not in UAnthology :( ). That should solve problems in Windows. Of course, don't forget to patch all games and get the most needed files:
http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/unreal/unrealessential.php - Unreal
http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut/utessential.php - Unreal Tournament (don't install 2nd and 3rd packs! They won't give anything more)
http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/u2/u2essential.php - Unreal 2
http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2004/ut2004essential.php - UT2004

With Linux it's another story. D3D won't work there anyway. U2 is no-go there. Unreal and UT will work with Software normally, but not with OpenGL. You need to disable any power saving programs there to get it better, as well as adding the Frameratelimit (as explained above) to both games. And even then it won't work as it should...

And with Unreal, there's the 227 patch that adds really cool stuff. But it can't be used with UGold that is in Anthology, it will be reverted to the original Unreal that way. Though when you're done with it, you could install the 227 patch to enjoy the special additions to Unreal.

Hey wait, I just got Unreal Anthology too... Cool, my post is useful for myself now :D

Lodev

Sep 3, 2000
Belgium
The Unreal 2 of Anthology is already version 2001!

The above fixes are all for Unreal 1 and UT, but what about Unreal 2?

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
U2 (And Unreal Engine 2) doesn't have the weird speed issues with 200+ FPS that UE1 does... but what WOULD make it stuttery is power management in Windows.

Assuming you're on XP, Start>Control Panel>Power Options. Set the power scheme to "Always On." This will prevent power saving technologies from kicking in and will make your computer go fullspeed all the time, as it's the PC's "Ramping up" that could be causing the stuttering and issues.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, about the U2 issue, no idea why it runs fast for you. Didn't check Anthology's U2 but the normal one works fine. Maybe repatching would do the trick, but back up your EXE as it's changed to allow playing without the CD.

PwettyPony

Sep 4, 2008
Hi!
Well I have this problem now too on Unreal2 :/
It worked fine on my old comp, but that one was a 3500+ amd 64 with a 6600GT.

Now Im not sure which causes what, but Im guessing its the CPU.

I now have a 5200+ 64 X2 and a 8800GT.
If I run Unreal2 normaly I get 3x speed if not more. The Intro screen(the flying trough ..whatever) goes rapidly fast. The intro of the game too. But not only the game speed itself is affected, also the movement of my mouse.

Well anyhow, if I set the affinity in the task manager to only 1 CPU instead of both, the game runs slower..but too slow(not low fps, but just low speed).

So I really dont know what to do :/ and Id really like to play U2 again.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
With Linux it's another story. D3D won't work there anyway. U2 is no-go there. Unreal and UT will work with Software normally, but not with OpenGL.

For the record, that is not true of UT (haven't tested U1 yet).

UT runs just fine using OpenGL in Linux or in Wine (you can even use the UTGLR driver and enjoy the enhance features/performance/S3TC textures [the latter, also in raw Linux]).

With respect to power management, it might also be necessary to disable that in the BIOS (it will be called Cool'n'Quiet on AMD and Speedstep on Intel) and, under Linux, in the kernel boot string (acpi=off).

In Windows, you can set the processor affinity from the task manager. In Linux, you use taskset.

UT also takes a commandline parameter CPUSPEED= which, for a 5200+ should be CPUSPEED=2600. No harm in trying that with U2 (can't test that here).

I have some (incomplete:() Linux installation guidance (along with some notes on these problems) here: http://www.margrave.myzen.co.uk/InstallUTonLinux.html

PwettyPony

Sep 4, 2008
Thank you ;P

But I already kinda figured it out.
Its actually kind of weird but wth.

Before I set the affinity to 1 CPU when I had it U2 running already, that means, having started the game.

Now I set the affinity to 1 CPU when I just got into the menu, right after I started. Now it runs on normal speed. And its great fun! <3

Thank you tho ;P

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Wow, an old thread. Necrimanci! :D And yes IronMonkey, now I know it should work there. Somehow didn't work flawlessly for me, but oh well. Trying to wine other applications and fill out their AppDB.
PwettyPony, funny thing is that Unreal II is exceptionally without multi core processor support... Although it works nice here with Win x64. Here's a quote from Tim Sweeney on multi CPU systems:
SMP seems to be dying right now. Athlon's don't support SMP yet, and Pentium 4's don't support SMP.

I don't have any market data on this trend, but I see it here at Epic every day: we're gutting old high-end dual processor Dell workstations and replacing them with high-end consumer PC's. My current development system is a 1.2 GHz Athlon with DDR from Micron, which only cost around $2500 -- compared to around $8000 for the Dell's we used to buy. We buy these PC's because they outperform workstations in most real-world applications.
So, no multicore/multiCPU support here. They didn't knew that multicore PCs will be very popular nowadays, but Sweeney predicted that...
I think SMP will be revived, but the revolution will depend on single-chip SMP support, which is rumored to be in the works from both AMD and Intel. The really critical factor for any new technology to be successful is price: the price needs to be reasonable enough that high-end gamers can afford it. Sticking two processors in a PC just isn't a very reasonable economic thing to do, but if you can cram two CPU's on a single chip, then why not? The added cost might be only a couple hundred dollars.
That was soon before AMD x64 processors...

Oh, and yay, another U2 player! Go play U2XMP, it's great too! And enjoy the best graphics in UnrealEngine 2! :)

PwettyPony

Sep 4, 2008
Hah, I might as well ;P Ill need at least a week tho. EveningSchool starts monday again and gotta finish a lot of stuff before that T.T
So Ill prob be there around next weekend ;P.(Cant play weekdaays cause of evening school ;< and I only read the word "evening" here when it comes to activity ;P)

baibai! See you then!