Register UT3 Retail Key With Steam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
@guys
Quoteparty? :lol:

@MuLuNGuS
Hehe :D but I prefer Japanese!
ゆっくり若い馬と、最初にパッチは、よりタイタン詰まる

Ok, no kidding. Patch will be out in 2 weeks as I've heard. So one week later we will play the Titan-Pack. Ok, I suppose so... Don't we? :D

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I tried doing the same thing with the UNREAL ANTHOLOGY dvd, but it says the number/key is 'invalid'.

Is there a way to get steam to recognize that you bought the Unreal Anthology and let you install all the games on that disk (Unreal1, UT99, Unreal2, UT2004) through Steam without having to 'buy' them again through the 'Unreal Deal'?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nice to see Steve got a good mind. If such road can be kept we could be ensured to at least get another PC game in the future from Epic Games themselves.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is from October 2007 and I haven't heard anything more about it. I know of several people in GB that bought L4D from US retailers or through friends in the US and none of them have experienced anything like that.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Oh yeah, and to anyone doing the "moving/linking original install to Steam" trick..

If you get an "game is currently not available error" when trying to launch through steam, find your UT3 folder and untick write protection for the entire game folder.

Just an FYI.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
This is from October 2007 and I haven't heard anything more about it. I know of several people in GB that bought L4D from US retailers or through friends in the US and none of them have experienced anything like that.

There's a huuuuuuge debacle about it on the steam forums. As in, nearly 4,000 replies type huge.

Basically us euros have to pay 30-40% more, and we get our account banned if we try to proxy it.
The real kicker is that me being in norway who isn't even part of the EU and don't use euro currency, have to pay in euro because valve just blankets all of europe as EU. We also have no taxes for digital downloads, but steam still charges it for everyone.
UK are excempt since they can choose to pay in GBP (which is much cheaper and akin to normal prices), where everyone else has to pay in $1=1€.

This is actually in direct violation with various laws, but you'll get your forum account banned if you bring it up.

I'm a big fan of steam as a service, but this whole issue is really so "what are they thinking". I was a heavy user before the change, and haven't bought a single thing after it. Even during the weekend sales, it's more expensive than local stores and imports.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
*Instructions*

Ok here's what I have done step-by-step

• Downloaded Junction.
  • Extracted .exe directly to c:\.
  • Went to Start->Run.
  • Typed in c:\junction "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3" "F:\Unreal Tournament 3"
  • Agreed with License stuff.
  • Registered my UT3 KEY on Steam.
  • Looked in Steam, not installed.
  • Restarted Steam.
  • Still not installed.
  • Tried again.
  • Still nothing.

I have to reboot my PC I suppose.

Last edited:

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000

• Downloaded Junction.
  • Went to Start->Run.
  • Typed in c:\junction "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\unreal tournament 3" "F:\Unreal Tournament 3"
  • Restarted Steam.
  • Still not installed.
  • Tried again.
  • Still nothing.

Couple of things that i encountered:

Make sure the junction command worked. You should get a message saying so in the DOS screen, and you should be able to browse to the directory on c:/ in Explorer and see the directory on f:/.

After that, it's all Steam. i did the dl to 2%, pause dl, and verify thing. It took a while because Steam kept saying "Starting download" over and over again. Finally, it did complete the dl and i was able to launch the game. i did have to delete ClientRegistry.blob and reboot.

When you say still nothing, does the game appear as 100% in the Steam window?

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I had to start downloading, pause it, exit steam, delete the folder, then do the junction.
After that, it had to verify the "download" but it worked.

For the junction command to work, the first path must not exist. e.g. since steam created the C:\blah\unreal tournament 3\ folder, you need to delete that unreal tournament 3 folder. The juncition command creates it (sort of) and it will cry and whine if it already exists.

- games locked to a (single) account (i.e. only 1 activation for the game)
Elmurte (sp): Why does this matter? You can play your games on any computer in the world with an internet connection from that single account. And you can go offline on multiple computers and use a single copy to play LAN games on multiple machines easily enough.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I love the people in this thread listing reasons they don't like Steam because none of them are valid or have any real basis.

What? I have to download my games? ON THE INTERNET?!?!?!?!

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net

• Downloaded Junction.
  • Went to Start->Run.
  • Restarted Steam.
  • Still not installed.
  • Tried again.
  • Still nothing.

I had to untick "Read only" on the new UT3 Steamed folder for UT3 to work.

First I keyed UT3 to Steam (stopped download immediately), then I made the junction, then downloaded the game from Steam (5-15 mins), then verified caches, then made the new folder non-'read only'. UT3 runs like a charm.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
This is from October 2007 and I haven't heard anything more about it.

The point being that they have the capability to do it, they did it and there is nothing to stop them doing it again. It is not required for you to have heard about it for that to be a problem.

I know of several people in GB that bought L4D from US retailers or through friends in the US and none of them have experienced anything like that.

Those affected in the original incident had a game that worked for a while. It seems that Valve revoked the permission to run the games some time after the game became available and had been installed from the "wrong territory".

Your solution of find a friend or relative or pay the postage and import charges might work for a one-off but it does not scale to (say) 12 games/year * 5% of non-US PC gamers and even at the end of that process it seems that Valve can come along and invalidate your game.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Couple of things that i encountered:

Make sure the junction command worked. You should get a message saying so in the DOS screen, and you should be able to browse to the directory on c:/ in Explorer and see the directory on f:/.

After that, it's all Steam. i did the dl to 2%, pause dl, and verify thing. It took a while because Steam kept saying "Starting download" over and over again. Finally, it did complete the dl and i was able to launch the game. i did have to delete ClientRegistry.blob and reboot.

When you say still nothing, does the game appear as 100% in the Steam window?

Still either "Downloading" or "Download paused"

When executing the junction exe from the run command it just poped up for like 0.1 seconds then vanished, no popup confirmation that it worked or whatever.

I did verify the cache now, all it does is it start downloading the game again. I guess I'll try to find that ClientRegistry.blob file and then reboot.

I had to untick "Read only" on the new UT3 Steamed folder for UT3 to work.

First I keyed UT3 to Steam (stopped download immediately), then I made the junction, then downloaded the game from Steam (5-15 mins), then verified caches, then made the new folder non-'read only'. UT3 runs like a charm.

I just tried that.
I'm going to assume the junction didn't worked.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I suppose you don't have a download limit either.
Or are you saying that rather than bugging around deleting the registry file/ETC you simply downloaded and it eventually started?

EDIT: Now the game has stopped downloading, but still progress. It's really, really slow. 1st yellow square in around 10 minutes. I can hear my Hard Drive working non-stop while this is going on.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Ok....
I registered my key, used the mklink command line to create the junction for my retail install, unticked the "read only " properties of the target files,clicked on verify game cache,recieved a few updates to the game ( old physx downgrade??? wth? ) into the steamapps/common folder.....
Then after numerous steam lock ups...and waaaaaaiting....it allowed me to launch ut3.
One massive problem. The server browser no longer shows any servers in game. and the steam server listings dont show UT3 servers. BRILLIANT.
What next ??