Getting a new mouse, Logitech G5

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
So, here's the deal. I'm here on Iceland and everything is so expensive compared to other countries so I headed to eBay to check out what Logitech G5 costed. I found out that it's usually for 50$ so I considered buying it. But, I'm in Europe and the mouse is sold in the US so, will it work with the European computers? (BTW, Is all computer hardware that is made in the world compatible with every computer region?)

Thanks! :)

Enfluence

I kinda like UT3.
Jan 25, 2008
Yeah all hardware usually works from other countrys i've yet to find one that doesn't.

Get the Logitec G9 it's better, you can usually find prices around the same as the G5

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
I'm getting a G5 due to people say it works better with UT3 in PS3 than other mouses. Or are they incorrect? (Part of the idea of buying it is to use it with UT3 PS3.)

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
I got the PS3 version of UT3 and I'm just wondering, what mouse would work for it? I've tried a standard Microsoft lasermouse and a Dell mouse but neither worked in the game. But they both worked in the PS3 interface.

Does somebody have a list of mouses that work with UT3? I see on the internet that many people don't get their mouses to work (including me).

Anyone?

naisanza

Jul 31, 2008
I have the Logitech G5. The problem is getting BOTH the keyboard and mouse to work. Does anyone have any ideas how to get it to work? Do you need to plug it into a splitter or anything such?

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
None of the existing games on PS3 have support for mice in-game.
Your best bet on anything mouselike is a Frag-FX controller from Splitfish: http://splitfish.com/page.cfm?pageid=15

The PS3 sees this as a normal PS3 controller. It has all the buttons a normal controler has, and even some extra (frag button, sensitivity wheel) Overall it works ok, but the mouse would be better if it was a bit bigger and a bit more sensitive. All in all this is a good solution for PC gamers on a console :)

fragFX-thumb.jpg

naisanza

Jul 31, 2008
None of the existing games on PS3 have support for mice in-game.
Your best bet on anything mouselike is a Frag-FX controller from Splitfish: http://splitfish.com/page.cfm?pageid=15

The PS3 sees this as a normal PS3 controller. It has all the buttons a normal controler has, and even some extra (frag button, sensitivity wheel) Overall it works ok, but the mouse would be better if it was a bit bigger and a bit more sensitive. All in all this is a good solution for PC gamers on a console :)

fragFX-thumb.jpg

oh you forgot about ut3

naisanza

Jul 31, 2008
apparently it has both mouse and keyboard support for any port. you just plug it in. It works, however online has issues.

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
apparently it has both mouse and keyboard support for any port. you just plug it in. It works, however online has issues.

Actually one of the reasons I was getting a G5 was that I wanted a mouse for UT3 PS3. I heard over the internet that people seem to be getting the G5 to work properly with UT3.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
the laser's better, the G5 laser will trip out if you have a low sensitivity. the side buttons are better, but mainly i just find it a hell of a lot comfier (i know it looks weird but it feels really good)

you can switch off the gear in the wheel too, so it feels smooth to roll :] not very much use if you scroll through weapons but if you have mwheelup and mwheeldown as keybinds like i do it's cool

naisanza

Jul 31, 2008
the laser's better, the G5 laser will trip out if you have a low sensitivity. the side buttons are better, but mainly i just find it a hell of a lot comfier (i know it looks weird but it feels really good)

you can switch off the gear in the wheel too, so it feels smooth to roll :] not very much use if you scroll through weapons but if you have mwheelup and mwheeldown as keybinds like i do it's cool

"trip out" meaning it loses connection?
that happens only when its connected through another usb hub. like connected it to your monitor usb port which then has a line that connects to your pc.

i guess you may have had a faulty g5. Ive had my g5 when it very first came out. so its been a good couple years of use and it still works extremely good.

[settings:]
windows: default
enhanced: off
setpoint: default
acceleration: off
dpi: 400
cs: 1.72

never once did it skip on me or else i'd feel extremely betrayed by logitech.

bruns

Apr 3, 2006
as with alot of things, mice are down to preference
i was lucky enough to get a g5 for free, and after using mx518 for a number of years was really looking forward to it
but it really is pretty sub par. i had the 2007 edition (which came in that weird blue/black combo), and had many problems with it. as previously mentioned, the mouse did tend to skip when i tested at low sensitivity- this was NOT down to a usb issue, but down to the laser technology used in the mouse itself (i don't know much about this in paticular issue though :D!). The mouse itself has other problems. The material on the top rubs off easily, the buttons are awful, the tilt wheel isn't great, and the weight system is fiddly and the tray got jammed on MANY occasions. Although some of these issues can be down to a faulty mouse, some of them are just down to plain poor design.
I've been using a razer deathadder since, and love it. The logitech g9 LOOKS horrid, but i've never used it so can't comment on if it's any good :)

naisanza

Jul 31, 2008
as with alot of things, mice are down to preference
i was lucky enough to get a g5 for free, and after using mx518 for a number of years was really looking forward to it
but it really is pretty sub par. i had the 2007 edition (which came in that weird blue/black combo), and had many problems with it. as previously mentioned, the mouse did tend to skip when i tested at low sensitivity- this was NOT down to a usb issue, but down to the laser technology used in the mouse itself (i don't know much about this in paticular issue though :D!). The mouse itself has other problems. The material on the top rubs off easily, the buttons are awful, the tilt wheel isn't great, and the weight system is fiddly and the tray got jammed on MANY occasions. Although some of these issues can be down to a faulty mouse, some of them are just down to plain poor design.
I've been using a razer deathadder since, and love it. The logitech g9 LOOKS horrid, but i've never used it so can't comment on if it's any good :)

[not trying to flame or anything but..]

any technical problems that you had should have been rma'd. because there shouldnt be any problems, especially skipping. my mouse pad is a corepad eyepad XL. never once did it skip. as posted above, my mouse settings, i use an extremely low sensitivity setting. any skipping would render my aiming useless.

I also have a deathadder. true, it feels great. and the one reason i bought it was because the blue glow matched my tower. however, i gave up on it to go back to the more efficient mouse with a tilt wheel, which offers so much more efficiency by allowing you to free your keyboard hand from having to do unnecessary things while you control everything with your mouse (ie tabbing in firefox, switching tools in photoshop, rendering in revit). and of course, ventrilo for cs

Last edited: