Should Epic repeat the 2k3 -> 2k4 history again to save UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

os][ris

May 10, 2006
They did the right thing by staggering the releases. However, the PC version was not complete enough when it was scheduled for release, the "polishing" phase didn't do enough good.

It was my understanding that they skipped the "polishing" phase all together.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
I think the simple answer is that Epic is understaffed for the task at hand. By developing the engine and game at the same time, it takes time away from focusing solely on the polish.

The UI is beyond a joke, compared to all it's competitors. The storyline would have been scrapped if any external audience\betatesters had been shown the cutscenes.

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
I think the simple answer is that Epic is understaffed for the task at hand. By developing the engine and game at the same time, it takes time away from focusing solely on the polish.

The UI is beyond a joke, compared to all it's competitors. The storyline would have been scrapped if any external audience\betatesters had been shown the cutscenes.

its more than just the engine and game, your forgetting about the biggest thing that takes away man power from "unreal"...that thing is "the gears name" epic is / has developed 2! gears of war games in 2.5-3 years...i guarantee that is taking at least 50% of the man power at epic to create and release those games, probably more! so right off the bat, "unreal" and the engine is down to 40% or less to then create an engine, keep it top notch, AND make another addition of "unreal", o yeah, and make it work on 3 separate platforms at once as well...

just reverse them for a min and ask your self, if Unreal was gearsofwar, and unreal had been the main focal point, as well as it has had 2 games released in 2.5 to 3 years, with most of the man power at epic working on it. how good do you think unreal would be, and how ****ty do you think gears of war would have turned out? its pretty obvious to realize the roles would be completely switched and reversed.

its the same exact reason why our 1st "bonus" pack wasn't anything bigger than a toy you would find in a cracker jack box. all the maps we got were just maps intended to be released at release, they were so understaffed maps didn't get finished in time, so they had to release the few maps a few months later. which is also why i believe we wont be seeing another bonus pack, at least not for a LONG LONG time, because any additional things they release will have to be created from scratch again, and not just left overs from a half assed release.

then on top of all that, they force them selfs to release the game before x-mas for PS3, cause we all know how many mommies and daddys buy their kiddies loads of games for xmas, so epic wanted to make sure to jump on that cash cow...but in doing so they shot them sefls in the foot by insanely rushing the game and basically completely cutting out the "polish" area of game development, as well as release the game with LOADS and i mean LOADS of other FPS's and games which in the long run i believe has hurt its numbers...they should have waited 6 months, and released it in the spring just like they did with 2k4, would have had 6 more months to polish the game, as well as they would have been releasing the game with NO competition, meaning much more units being sold, and a much higher online numbers.

either way, their was numerous reasons for ut3 being like it was, which most of them stems back to understaffed / rushed

as far as the UI, dont get me started lol, i just hope they buy the "uwindows" mod being created, and release it with a ut3ECE or a ut4, and have it as an option at install to use either "uwindows" or the "standard" GUI

Last edited:

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
Whenever we hear Epic say they're a small studio and can only do so much or work on stuff so much, we should just post this pic. :D

[screenshot]http://images.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0701_11z+2007_lamborghini_murcielago_lp640+rear_left_view.jpg[/screenshot]
That'll pay for several more workers. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Fair enough, but its the same difference.

The same title (UT2k3/UC) stretched across to platforms led to very ungood things.
Yep :)

Personally, I don't think Engine development is affecting them at all. It's the number of games they are split between. They've been working on the engine during each game's development, and they have had some non stinkers :)

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Whenever we hear Epic say they're a small studio and can only do so much or work on stuff so much, we should just post this pic. :D

[screenshot]http://images.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0701_11z+2007_lamborghini_murcielago_lp640+rear_left_view.jpg[/screenshot]
That'll pay for several more workers. :D

id's a small studio and they got a fleet of Lambies :lol:

Seriously, that got my thinking that while id did engine work and a show off game like Doom 3, they outsourced their other titles like Quake 4 and Quake Wars. Would Epic be better off doing that as well? It probably was a bad mistake to absorb Scion Studios back in the fold. Just my thoughts for now...

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
My thoughts on UT3.5? I would buy it if it was a Special Edition that fixed most of the bad stuff. But a whole new game like UT2004, I would not unless it offered a completely different gametype experience. It was nice that 2K4 had Onslaught and Assault, but including all the 2K3 gametypes that no one plays and stuffing the disk with all the old assets just didn't make much sense. Oh 2K4's gameplay is a major improvement over 2K3 but that was about it. And TBH the rebate program Atari had was a joke, but at least we 'had' a rebate of some sort of it didn't feel like we've payed twice for the same game.

So I'll say yes to a Special Edition, with a Bonus Pack for those who already have the game, but no to UT 3.5

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
id's a small studio and they got a fleet of Lambies :lol:

Seriously, that got my thinking that while id did engine work and a show off game like Doom 3, they outsourced their other titles like Quake 4 and Quake Wars. Would Epic be better off doing that as well? It probably was a bad mistake to absorb Scion Studios back in the fold. Just my thoughts for now...
They already tried that with Unreal 2, UC (and essentially UT2003). And we can see what a rousing success those were.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Outsourcing hasn't had a very happy history with Epic.

They own so many little studios now that they don't really need to outsource. They own Scion, People Can Fly, Epic China, Reality Engine etc etc

Having their Internal Teams focus on one game each at time sounds more like a winning strategy. Later it can be adapted and ported!

Oh Well - Too Late now plus time travel is impossible.

If UT3.5 was something UNREAL, I would definitely buy it!

It would need a pretty significant facelift. The core gameplay, maps and content of UT3 is fine as it is - but the UI, Mod Support, Custom Bots, SP Campaign, Community and Browser Freatures all have to be drastically changed or added. It would involve ripping out a lot of bad stuff and adding a **** load of good stuff! Kinda like those programs were they refurbish old houses :D

There is the always the present danger that this will break compatibility with PS3 for Mods, which doesn't bother me that much as I want an excellent PC game, but that would cheese off a huge amount of Epic's new customers!

Anyway, How do you write 3.5 in Roman Numerals?

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Misquoted for truth.

Ah you can't keep blaming the community because Epic ****ed up.

If It had been the great title, everybody would be playing it, but I've only found a handful of people to play against.

Epic hyped up every feature of this game from the very beginning since it was called Envy and very little of it turned out to be true or working, which was such a HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT!!

Even Epic have admitted to their mistakes!

Are you familiar with the expression: Fight Reality And See Who Wins?

Last edited:

Draco73

Oct 11, 2005
www.silentdragons.com
It just so happens that I keep seeing more posts like this, then players on the servers.

and maybe that's because all those people are so upset/disappointed with the game, that they just don't play it as much as they normally would...and if the game was better they wouldn't be making those posts, and in fact they WOULD be in the servers more often...but hey that's just the logical explanation to what you said ;)