Vehicle concept

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
So this is gonna be made?! Awesome!

I think having it as an alternative to the hellbeder is an awesome idea. I think the design at the moment is great so don't change it to much. How big were you thinking it would be sizewise? Somewhere inbetween the hellbender and goliath would work, and what sort of speeds were you thinking.

Would this thing be good at climbing stuff, like ballistic weapons thor tank for ut2k4?

anyway, good on you for such a great concept and I eagerly anticipate having this ingame!

[T.S]Psycho

Brain Damage
Maybe it would be nice if you had the option to switch fire type.
As suggested before if used for anti-infantry and or a replacement of the bender, maybe a switchable turret would be cool.

A bit like the leviathan does, where you can make it act like the bender turret to target the infantry from distance or change it to make it fire small rockets/mortars for shorter range combat. So that you can switch depending on the situation your in. Like the nemesis can make itself faster or slower but with a slower or faster firing speed only then just the fire type. :shy:

1R0NH4R\/35T

is not amused.
May 10, 2008
Earth
ticktockman92.deviantart.com
[T.S]Psycho;2145010 said:
Maybe it would be nice if you had the option to switch fire type.
As suggested before if used for anti-infantry and or a replacement of the bender, maybe a switchable turret would be cool.

A bit like the leviathan does, where you can make it act like the bender turret to target the infantry from distance or change it to make it fire small rockets/mortars for shorter range combat. So that you can switch depending on the situation your in. Like the nemesis can make itself faster or slower but with a slower or faster firing speed only then just the fire type. :shy:

I'm considering giving it a type of defense mechanism; in situations where you're being overrun or something, you can activate an EMP or electrical shock or something along those lines to get a chance to escape.

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
an emp affecting vehicles? sounds alright however I recommend keeping it's abilities simple. That way it can mesh in with the rest of ut3's vehicles without upsetting the balance; if you want it to be more anti-personnelish I recommend something like flak bombardment hitting the immediate area.

edit: btw I still like the grille~ :D

Last edited by a moderator:

1R0NH4R\/35T

is not amused.
May 10, 2008
Earth
Well, I have a newer design for it. It's very rough, I haven't started to shade it or anything, and in some parts it's still pretty sketchy, but this is the basic idea.

I'll let you make up your mind about the grille (or lack thereof).
*edit- I realize this is a giant-ass picture, by the way. Sorry... :(
tank_design_rough.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
Agreed, overall this is a better concept and illustrates the different parts better. Still I'd add a little part of that grill somewhere... it was so cool :D

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
well I'd rather not shy away from your concept too much so whatever you end up with I'll do. Beyond that, are you planning on making a profile and over the top view as well as, perhaps, a 3/4 back view?

Mr.CrackPot

Jul 23, 2005
with the goliath? yeah that sounds good. It's good to have that sort of thing planned out well in advance. I know when I released my walker it always felt small until it became so big that it was massive; turns out ut3's walker is actually a dwarf by comparison.... I never noticed until it was too late ;)

But yeah size comparison + profile + over the top + 3/4 back would be ideal.

Could make it that other players can jump up on it and hitch a ride ... like in *cough* halo *cough* ... course that would make them easy tagets but they should still be able to shoot back aswell ... if the tank is a little smaller that the goliath it could be a little faster too ... o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o transport tank with super cheese

1R0NH4R\/35T

is not amused.
May 10, 2008
Earth
with the goliath? yeah that sounds good. It's good to have that sort of thing planned out well in advance. I know when I released my walker it always felt small until it became so big that it was massive; turns out ut3's walker is actually a dwarf by comparison.... I never noticed until it was too late ;)

But yeah size comparison + profile + over the top + 3/4 back would be ideal.

I have the over the top and the rear view finished. The back one doesn't really show the whole vehicle, just the back of the tank/turret.

What really irks me is the fact that my style is very sketchy and focuses more on shape/form than small mechanical detail, so it's very vague and loose in parts.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Well, I have a newer design for it. It's very rough, I haven't started to shade it or anything, and in some parts it's still pretty sketchy, but this is the basic idea.

I'll let you make up your mind about the grille (or lack thereof).
/Pic went here/

Its good, definately, but i'd love to see a different gun on that thing, so it really plays another role than the Goliath.

Personally i'd go for a machine cannon/mortar combo, so primary fire shoots a 20mm cannon with a slow rate of fire (*thud thud thud thud*), which would be good for engaging the smaller and faster vehicals, and secondary fire would be a short-range mortar, basically a large grenade launcher, excellent for blowing up groups of people, but it should not do too much damage to other vehicals.

If you browse through wikipedia for light tanks, you can see that its very common for them to be armed with heavy machineguns, machine cannons and short stubby looking low velocity guns and mortars for anti-infantry use, instead of big long high-velocity anti tank guns (unless they where used as self-propelled artillery):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Light_tanks

Agreed, overall this is a better concept and illustrates the different parts better. Still I'd add a little part of that grill somewhere... it was so cool :D

There's a good reason why tanks don't have a grill like a car, the frontal armour tends to be the part most likely to get shot at, and grills are not that great for stopping tanks shells and RPG's ;)