PDA

View Full Version : Still more pics... anyone read Dutch?

hal
10th Jan 2002, 08:19 PM
Over at Game Planet (http://web.planet.nl/game/verslag/unrealtournament2_screens.html) you'll find more UT2 pics and an article that I can't read. :D

There are only one or two new pics, but maybe someone can read the article and let us know if they say anything new?

TaoPaiPai
10th Jan 2002, 08:32 PM
:rolleyes:
Why did they have to put in that stupid baron samedi clown in the game,on earth.I already hate the motards that will play with him.

hal
10th Jan 2002, 09:35 PM
So that you will want to kill him.

fragswill
11th Jan 2002, 07:53 AM
Makes sense. They used the same strategy when recording the UT taunts.

hotwaffle
11th Jan 2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by fragswill
Makes sense. They used the same strategy when recording the UT taunts.

That's why I never lose?

NeoNite
11th Jan 2002, 08:04 AM
WOw :) Awesome pics in there!! Ut2 looks very promising :)

[UJE]Crakdeala
11th Jan 2002, 08:54 AM
Brief summary of the Dutch text:

After the cat was out of the bag, there was no point in denying it anymore: UT2 exists and will be released this fall. Details about gameplay:
- No more powerups but 'stations'... the more health you need the longer you need to be in them (while being vulnerable)
- Weapons include: Link Gun (?), Flak Cannon, Assault Rifle, Ion Cannon, Shock Rifle and modified versions of the Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle.
- New special moves will be available such as the double jump and the Beserker Move (which,apparently, renders you temporarily less vulnerable to enemy fire)
- Experience will play a part in teamplay: you can train your teammembers (bots) to do a specific task such as sniping and end up with a better team.
- Gamemodes include DM, TDM, CTF, DOM 2, Survivor and Bombing Run (a bit like rugby, but with a bomb)
- There will be 5 worlds with corresponding characters and environments. Both are very detailed (as you can see from the screenshots). Maps are both inside and outside and some are huge, hence the availability of vehicles and hoovercraft to cover more ground.
- The MOD community will be pleased with the new editor which also features pre-fab map elements.

Nothing we didnt know already I suppose, but you're welcome anyway folks :D

Tetris L
11th Jan 2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by TaoPaiPai
I already hate the motards that will play with him.
Hehe, that's the first thing I thought too when I saw him. He'll be the Xan of UT2. All the wannabe-cool and wannabe-badass kids will play as MrCrow.

The model does look badass though. :tup:

NeoNite
12th Jan 2002, 08:44 AM
What about the "goth" girl with the eyeball in her mouth?

[Ci]Morgan
13th Jan 2002, 06:43 AM
Here's a complete translation of the text, for those who are interested:

------------------------

The end of speculation is here, Unreal Tournament 2 exists. Even more, Game Planet has seen the game and has got nice and exclusive images. This promising multiplayer shooter and sequal of the succesfull Unreal Tournament is scheduled for release in Fall 2002.

Weak pretext
The mumbling has been noticable on the internet for a couple of weeks. Unreal Tournament 2 would be in the making. 'Not true' according to Infogrames who came with a rather weak pretext. On a release list UT2 would have been printed by accident, they meant Unreal 2. Yeah, right!
Nobody believed this for a second of course, especially Game Planet who (secretly) saw the game running at the end of 2001.

http://web.planet.nl/game/foto/ut2/ut2_p1.jpg

When more and more websites posted rumours and when it became appearant that several European magazines would come with cover articles about UT2, Infogrames admitted: Unreal Tournament 2 exists. And the result in the stadium is promising to say the least.

Vantage ground

What UT surpassed in over Quake III Arena, were the teamplay possibilities, number and diversity of the maps and the game modes itself. Digital Extremes has the vantage now too with three elements. The Canadian company doesn't deviate from their previous approach. Both rookies and advanced players can play UT2. There are many multiplayer modes that can be played in Single Player mode, only now you'll be facing bots. This way, new players can improve their skills before facing the harsh world of UT2 online.

http://web.planet.nl/game/foto/ut2/ut2_p2.jpg

It's striking that power-ups don't spawn all over the maps like they did in UT. There are so-called stations where one can reload on ammo, shield and lifepoints. If you want to fully recharge on health, say from 8% to 100%, you'll have to stand still there for a while, leaving you vulnerable. Old weapons and new arms will be a member of the party like the Flak Cannon, Assault Rifle, Shock Rifle, Link Gun and the Ion Cannon, either in excisting or a new version. The very fine Sniper Rifle will be new, equipped with an infrared (in this case, green) view, able to shoot targets that are ridiculously far away. There will also be a sort of new rocket launcher.

Movement and Experience

UT introduced the dodge move, which took some getting used to in the beginning. After a while though it became a second nature and one couldn't do without it. New moves are available, like a double jump, a Berserker Move (temporary stronger and less vulnerable) and move that lets you run faster by repeatedly hitting the forward key quickly.

http://web.planet.nl/game/foto/ut2/ut2_p3.jpg

Also new is the emphasize on experience in teamplay. You can form your own team and tweak the teammembers in Singleplayer. If they are trained you'll get a better team. For instance: one member is better with long distance weapons while another is better in close combat. Next to the standard DM, TDM and CTF all sorts of new, fresh game modes like Domination 2, Survivor and Bombing Run are introduced. The latter is a form of rugby with a ticking time bomb as ball! The object is to bring the bomb to the enemies base and drop it there before it explodes.

Five Races and Planets

The setting in UT2 consists of five planets with their own type of inhabitants. There will be a science-fiction / space civilization with hightech settings and dito space marines and robots, there will be an ice planet with large, slow cyborgs and humans, there will be a nightmare race: a bunch of hellraiser creeps in SM outfits, piercings and other horror costumes. The accompanying maps will have rusty scrapheaps, rocks, boiling lava. There will be a sandy planet with an Egyptian shade and a Maya-like jungle with temples and reptilian like aliens.

http://web.planet.nl/game/foto/ut2/ut2_p4.jpg

Plenty of choice for everyone and each character is super detailed. Sometimes, we wonder if the people who design this are normal people. Especially the people who came up with the Nightmare race must have a pretty scary fantasy.

Graphically Marveling

Graphic-wise the game is no less than astonishing. It uses the Unreal Warfare engine, the same technique used by Epic / Ledgend for Unreal 2. Now too, the enormous areas are striking. You can see very far and some maps are incredibly large. Hence vehicles will be used in a limited way. Think along the lines of floating scooters and hovercrafts. With the latter you'll be able to get onto such a vehicle with multiple players, saving you from having to run those virtual kilometers.

http://web.planet.nl/game/foto/ut2/ut2_p5.jpg

The animations and characters look, so to speak, insanely good, have their own look & feel and burst of polygons. The environments are also very detailed and the textures are nearing photo-realism. Each planet is different and has it's own pieces of art, wether it is a mushy forest, a lave planet or a Sci-Fi space station. Each time you'll be amazed by the number of details, lights, reflections burning torches and shadows.

http://web.planet.nl/game/foto/ut2/ut2_p6.jpg

The architecture of the maps is also chimerical. Some focus on 'indoor' with lots of stairs, lifts, rooms and hallways, while others aim for 'outdoor'. We found the maps that incorperated both the best, like the jungle temples in the forests and the piramids with the deserts. Small, atmospheric and tense on the inside and overviewed, vulrenable and free on the outside. As of the rest, we'll let the screenshots speak for theirselves. Like the English say: "Sometimes a picture says more than a thousand words"...

Mod Community

Digital Extremes doesn't forget it's community. Thanks to the MOD community, UT is still an enormous succes nowadays. The game will thus be released with an editor. The developers also plan on releasing the new maps and weapons to the public. The introduction of pre-fabbed parts of levels is really gets a warm welcome. Think along the lines of a complete hallway, curved stairs or pilarred rooms. These can be combined like a 3D puzzle and before you know it you'll have built your own map. This will only stimulate the creation of new maps and MODs, which is good for the lifespan of the game.

If all goes well, we can start with UT2 this fall, but some reserve should be taken with this, since Digital Extremes is also working on Unreal Championship for the Xbox. That, and the fact that it's sister company Epic wants to pu Unreal 2 on the shelves this summer we can state that this year will be about "unreality" for a large part...

Conclusion

UT is being played by thousands of shooter fans on-line daily, which is good for UT2. Hence we predict good things for UT2. Fable-like beautiful graphics, fun new gameplay, fantastic races. With Quake IV yet far away and Team Fortress 2 somewhere in a dark pit, UT2 could become the only real on-line shooter of 2002...

------------------------
Translated from Game Planet's Unreal Tournament preview (http://web.planet.nl/game/verslag/unrealtournament2.html) by [Ci]Morgan.

There are several Screenshots (http://web.planet.nl/game/verslag/unrealtournament2_screens.html) with this article.

hal
14th Jan 2002, 02:09 AM
Looks great! Thanks! :):tup:

Šork
14th Jan 2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by N3oN1t3|Buf
What about the "goth" girl with the eyeball in her mouth? http://mypage.bluewin.ch/igg/dorks-trash/mother150.jpg
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/igg/dorks-trash/mother250.jpg

hal
14th Jan 2002, 11:47 AM
1) Where did you get that?
2) That's some pretty imaginative stuff!
3) I hope they change "Bioligical" to "Biological" ;)

Tetris L
14th Jan 2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by hal
1) Where did you get that?
www.digitalextremes.com > Dev Journal > UC > Character Dossiers > Mother Vigilance

Šork
14th Jan 2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks Tet :tup:.

Yeah, it's scary stuff. Under the circumstances she's lucky to at least have an eyeball in her mouth :hmm:.

She's the third inhabitant of Purgatory that we know, with
Brutalis http://mypage.bluewin.ch/igg/dorks-trash/uc/0ucsm_brutalis50.jpg and Domina http://mypage.bluewin.ch/igg/dorks-trash/uc/0ucsm_domina50.jpg.

I suppose no.4 is Mr. Crow, so possibly we know the whole of the nightmare race.

hal
14th Jan 2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Tetris L

www.digitalextremes.com > Dev Journal > UC > Character Dossiers > Mother Vigilance

Oh cool, I'd forgotten about that due to the lack of updates at the UC site and I haven't been to the dev site in a while since they pulled a bunch of stuff off of it.

UnrealGrrl
17th Jan 2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by N3oN1t3|Buf
What about the "goth" girl with the eyeball in her mouth?

this character is really cool! reminds me of hellraiser... i think this type will satify us necris ppl, but hopefully theres a version without the eyeball! yikes! :)

NeoNite
18th Jan 2002, 06:13 AM
I dunno, I kinda prefer visse myself :D at least she's got two eyeballs ;)

Serioulsy: ut2 models look awesome :)

UnrealGrrl
18th Jan 2002, 02:10 PM
yea i wanna see some more soon! :)

btw... how did you capture that screen? its a flash thingy and i dont know how to :( (not too techie here)

Šork
18th Jan 2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by NYGrrrl
btw... how did you capture that screen? its a flash thingy and i dont know how to :( (not too techie here) Good old fashioned PrintScreen I'm afraid :o, followed by a bit of cut&paste.

UnrealGrrl
22nd Jan 2002, 04:33 PM
lol and here i was thinking there was some cool way to do stuff like dat :blush:

[DecoY]
26th Jan 2002, 09:34 AM
Try pressing F9 in the game

then go to the systemfolder in the UT-file and look for it...

the path name would be something like:
(this is mine) c:\games\UT\system\shot0000

the shots will count up from the highest one it can find in that folder...:)

Pleasure to be of service...;)
Now it's time for my question...
Where in hell's name does MR.CROW fit in?
I mean, he's horrible... the mere site of him makes me want puke him to death...

hal
26th Jan 2002, 10:21 PM
PeaceKeeper, they're talking about how to capture a pic opened in a frozen window with right click disabled.... not about how to capture a pic from within UT. :o

We already decided that Mr Crow was put in so everyone would hate him and want to kill him. :D

[DecoY]
27th Jan 2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by hal
PeaceKeeper, they're talking about how to capture a pic opened in a frozen window with right click disabled.... not about how to capture a pic from within UT. :o

My mistake :)

UnrealGrrl
31st Jan 2002, 06:38 PM
it wont be totally lame tho unless the kiddies haveta put in the /has won game/ in a config file to be able to play mr.crow...
then he will really be on the top of everyones to hit list! :)

[DecoY]
1st Feb 2002, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by NYGrrrl
it wont be totally lame tho unless the kiddies haveta put in the /has won game/ in a config file to be able to play mr.crow...
then he will really be on the top of everyones to hit list! :)

I agree...
I had finished ut, when i found at that trick...
It really pissed me off!!!!:mad:

Orochi
1st Feb 2002, 07:32 AM
wuz wrong with mr.crow?:mad: