PDA

View Full Version : WTF is so illegal about illegal operations??

Daedalus
9th Jan 2002, 08:30 PM
I dont think u em as much, or if at all in winXP(none so far!!) But what makes them all illegal n' stuff? We can download ROMs and keep em for ages, thats illegal, but it doesn't crash w/ an error for those so what is so illegal about them? This question has had me wondering forever

Assymilator
9th Jan 2002, 08:34 PM
I think the illegal operation screen has been replaced with 'an error occured yadayadayada. debug, send error report, don't send'

I get those alot in WinXP.

DeaJae
9th Jan 2002, 08:41 PM
think of it as this, it all goes on in between the memory, CPUand OS. now when a code is false or a calcuation becomes wrong by 1 syntax its considered illegal syntax usage.
so:
OS CPU Memory
87 = 44 X 43
this is obivous however

66 = 33.3 + 33.3
may cause an illegal error, i think it was small things like that what cause the problems.
anyway thats how i was tought in programming. illegal syntaxes.

FireSlash
9th Jan 2002, 08:55 PM
more along the line of calling a function with a varible that under most circumstances would be set, however due to a small hole, or windows not updating hardware correctly, or simply bad scripting, somthing is incorrectly called.

take this for instance. ill use VB because its probally the easiest to understand

option explicit 'requires all varibles be set
dim X as integer ' X is not a integer, you should know what a integer is from algebra
'now lets assumewe have a text box and a submit button.

command1_click()
moveform(cint(text1.text)) 'we are going to send this function the numeric form of the contents of text box 1
end sub

private sub moveform(x as integer)
form1.left = x 'the left margin of the form is x
end sub

that looks fine, however, what if someone does not enter anything into text box1? or if they use letters? you will call form1.left = , which is invalid sytax, hence illigal operation.

just an example :)

Twisted Metal
9th Jan 2002, 09:22 PM
How come people say "get well soon" to sick people and not "get well now"? :con:

TomWithTheWeather
9th Jan 2002, 09:29 PM
My ex-gf's aunt called me up one day and asked me if she needed to call her lawyer because her computer crashed and said illegal operation.

No lie. :D

Waffnuffly
9th Jan 2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Twisted Metal
How come people say "get well soon" to sick people and not "get well now"? :con:

What's that got to do with the thread?