PDA

View Full Version : *anger*

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
8th Jan 2002, 12:02 AM
So there I was, with my nearly-finished Seekers Pack. Everything was falling into place. I looked for any final bugs to iron out.

Ah, the mechgun. It's colour\skin properties get mucked up when you pick up other items. This bug had bothered me right since the beginning, all those years ago. Oh, I could remember all the time I spent hiding in the shadows, watching the bug, hoping it would just disappear.

Finally I decided that things would change. I would destroy that bug - even if it meant redesigning the entire Mechgun code. I was prepaired to do anything.

Armed with my mighty weapon (WOTgreal), the diseased code fell easily away. I cut through those functions and operators as if they were made of firm but light marshmellow.

But I was not there to destroy. As I eliminated the old code, I replaced it with state-of-the-art technology. Armed with another year of experience, I was confident that I could rebuild it. I could make it better than it was.

There were sacrifices, oh yes. Many. The code had to be seperated, yet again. I wished it could be kept together but I had not the skill or knowledge to accomidate all the functions in one file. And there were risks. The entire colony now depended on exteral forces for its very survival. If the Seekplayerinfo had failed to spawn, the Mechgun would be crippled.

Finally the long, dark process was complete. It did not take long to conqure UCC and in less than 15 minutes I had edited my code to be digestable by this strange and powerful creature.

It was finally ready. The physical manifestation of all my effort, all my training and skill. It was over, at last. But wait. It must be tested.

someguy_99
8th Jan 2002, 05:53 PM
How is this a rant/rave?

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
10th Jan 2002, 11:30 PM
Well, Mr someguy, if that is your real name, next time I'll rant the way you want me to rant! Let's just follow your specification to the letter, shall we? I'll... I'll... dammit, real ranting is hard.

*runs off*

Kangus
11th Jan 2002, 01:39 PM
not all rantsa/raves must be psychotic. They me be subtle and epic such as presented in DragonFly's piece here. I rather enjoyed his approach. Then again, I can identify with it as a coder.... As someguy cannot... I know the struggle and the victory cycle of coding .... I know it well.

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
13th Jan 2002, 02:29 AM
The problem is, that rant shall remain forever unfinished, because before I could write the super-grumpy OH MY GOD I'LL HAVE TO START THE ENTIRE THING ALL OVER AGAIN part I actually got the stupid thing working.

EvilDrWong
20th Jan 2002, 04:15 AM
aint that a bitch? you get all ready for the big letdown and lo and behold, the stupid thing works :P mad props on getting it to work though! sorry it wrecked your rant :(

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
20th Jan 2002, 09:15 PM
Rants cannot be ruined. It's like throwing kitchen appliances at a scary shadow - you only make it go a funny shape...

*Logic*

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
20th Jan 2002, 09:20 PM
Are guns that produce insane numbers of explosions cool?
(For example, my Dissembler or Chaos Trap)

Having been criticized by locals, I've made moves to decrease my Random Explosion Count. For an example, I removed the shockwave the is produced after using the Dissembler's alternate fire mode. This leaves the fire mode much tidier and lets you see the dissappear effect without disruption.

What are random explosions? A fun way to kill stuff, or signs of poor (and lazy) coding (and thinking)? Should we as weapon manufactures strive to kill people in more original ways?

Kangus
21st Jan 2002, 12:24 AM
more original ways is always good..... however I think your chaos trap is about as original as theycome.

Smoke39
21st Jan 2002, 12:09 PM
Everybody loves random explosions!

Postal
22nd Jan 2002, 05:14 PM
Look at the Kill-o-Matic, no one complaned there(well perhaps the bots did, but not for long)

Overkill is nice when it is used in the right context

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
22nd Jan 2002, 10:37 PM
*Is convinced*

I guess I'll leave out the super-cool features that I had planned, then... :)

Next Question:
Yesterday I got an e-mail (email, Email, eMail?) from someone asking about using the Seekers Pack in multiplayer. Now, that was the first time I've heard from anyone who tryed to play a network game with it. But according to the rules of communication, for everyone who tells you about something there must be a whole lot who don't, right?

*Stops ranting*

Is it worth learning to do network code and put network code in all our little mods, or don't people care? In a new version of a mod, would you rather have a new gun or network code?

Smoke39
22nd Jan 2002, 10:52 PM
I've been wondering about the same thing for BH. Kangus and I tried it online and 2 or 3 other people joined, one of which wanted to know where they could get the mod. I'd say at least give it a try. I think playing against people is significantly more fun than against bots (especialy with BH).

Kangus
22nd Jan 2002, 11:35 PM
yeah... if a few of you guys want to play some day, I'll run a Seekers server over my T1.... just let me know.

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
23rd Jan 2002, 04:29 PM
*Is convinced again*

Cool. That would be cool. Mebbe I'll give this network code a shot then... how easy is it? I look at things like the guided redeemer's replication and I get scared.

Ooh, I've got a beta for ya.

Smoke39
23rd Jan 2002, 07:36 PM
I've been reading the tut at Chimeric and I think I might be beginning to understand, but I'm not sure. Stupid network blarg...

Psycho_Leech
25th Jan 2002, 04:12 PM
Who would turn down a chance for general random destruction?
NOBODY!
(OK, maybe realisim freaks would turn away)

Postal
27th Jan 2002, 12:54 PM
What killed the WAR mod was lack of online play, and if I dont get the C4 mod online soon, we loose the publics interest.

Call me Erdrik
30th Jan 2002, 10:48 AM
As important as online support is so is bot support(i know most of you have that :p but... ) for it is the lack of bot support that is killing the USpace MOD. Lack of bot support is the ONLY reason I don't play USpace :p

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
30th Jan 2002, 09:49 PM
I agree. I think bots should always be the first priority. Some people (e.g. 56kers from rural areas in New Zealand) never actually play UT online... but people wouldn't play one mod offline if they could be playing another online, would they?

Call me Erdrik
30th Jan 2002, 11:21 PM
Im a 33.6k-er so Ive only actualy play UT online 4 times (and Ive played Unreal since the FIRST release. Got Unreal1 when it came out.... still have it actualy :rolleyes: ahhh memmories)

but I used to play tribes and everquest so I do know the importance of online play ;)