32-bit color

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
North Hollywood, Ca., USA
Just curious about this. I have a V3 3k which I am told only supports 16 bit color, however in the windows system setting I have the option to set it to 32 (pretty sure I see a difference in some graphics when I do this.)
In UT the only color option avaliable is 16. In Q3 I can set it to 32 and it makes a huge difference in how the game looks.
Do I not have the 32 bit option in UT because my card doesn't support it and the game reads that from my system and if so how come I can change it in windows and Q3(not flaming here, I like both games.)

ThrasherX9

Dec 5, 1999
Visit site
i dont know how to answer your question becuase i dont know, BUT you wont see that much of a difference between 16-bit and 32-bit in UT, maybe in Q3, but not in UT.

bullet2.gif

Time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum, and im all out of gum.-Duke Nukem

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
Hmmm...I've had my desktop set to 16 all this time cause with the demo it wouldn't go to fullscreen in 32. Just set it to 32 and it goes fullscreen and looks quite a bit better. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as things look great. Just wondering why things look so much better at 32 with a card that isn't supposed to support it.

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
The V3 chip itself will process 32 bit color, however the card is not able to display actual 32 bit color. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif What the V3 does is mix down the 32 bit color to what amounts to a simulated 22 bit color which does look somewhat better than the 16 bit. You need to set your desktop to 32 bit color first, then in the V3 control panel set the quality to the highest setting (sharpest I believe is what it says).

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
Hey, thanks for the info RW. I could've just been happy that things look good and left it at that but that would be too simple. When things are working good I need to get in there and mess with em. You'll probably see a "help my video cards not working" post from me soon. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Cyberian_2K

Adept
Dec 13, 1999
Visit site
Yup,

There is a noticeable difference when it comes to Quake III Arena in 32-bit color. Looks significantly better. With UT it looks better but only slightly. Also, the V3 textures don't look as good as the TNT2. The TNT2 supports 2k X 2k textures, whereas UT only supports 512 X 512.........or is it only 256 X 256? Oh well, the textures look better in UT using a TNT than a V3.