PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's fecking confirmed...UT2 LIVES!

Daedalus
2nd Jan 2002, 03:23 PM
www.planetunreal.com it's a big headline, too bad the entire article is in french :(

anyway it looks like UC for the PC! W00t!

pine
2nd Jan 2002, 04:49 PM
Looks like the game has a long ways to go. Let's not get our panties in a twist just yet :hmm:. Still, something to look forward to.

Syri
2nd Jan 2002, 05:38 PM
i think i'll be a little less scheptical when i see something more official personally...

Prophetus
2nd Jan 2002, 06:19 PM
That French site receive the news from: Computer and Video Game (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=23094). And that site posted an update from Infogrames, which basically says the news is erroneous.

As for the screenshots...probably fake. Our official comment is the same as Infogrames.

Lily
2nd Jan 2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Prophetus
That French site receive the news from: Computer and Video Game (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=23094). And that site posted an update from Infogrames, which basically says the news is erroneous.

I'm lost, what french site are you talking about ?

As for the screenshots...probably fake. Our official comment is the same as Infogrames.

All I know is that the article from the magazine is far from sounding speculative or anything. Much more like a preview with the information straight from Digital Extremes ...

Lily

RegularX
2nd Jan 2002, 06:41 PM
If those ss's are faked, they are very well faked. And that would be some fancy artwork.

Where did you see that it came from C&VG? Strange that there aren't any mags or sites this side of the pond with the scoop if it's real though, considering the market.

rgx

8-4-7-2
2nd Jan 2002, 06:52 PM
Well the screenshots look like anything else but the Unreal engine. Now this could be because the completely reworked it...who knows. If you look closely you see two weapons vaguely resembling a minigun and a pulsegun, but the rest is just wrong, and doesn't look Unreal.

I seriously doubt, Epic, Legened, DE, or whoever gave a french mag exclusive rights, if you look how tightlipped they are even about U2

hal
2nd Jan 2002, 07:19 PM
Whatever it is, it looks pretty sweet. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see it first in a French Gaming Magazine when you consider that Infogrames is a French company.

Justin286
2nd Jan 2002, 08:18 PM
/Me sobs over the day that I lent out my french textbook only to never see it again.
I can actually read bits and pieces of the article, but nothing near enough to figure out what they're actually talking about. :(

TaoPaiPai
2nd Jan 2002, 08:30 PM

Let's pretend you didn't say anything :D hehehe
:rolleyes:
That's a french magazine and they played the game in the Us at Digital extreme headquarters.It was an official press release apparently (being the most important videogame mag in France it is surely not a fake,FYi half of this mag is made of ads,so to say that their words are to be granted as 'official').
I was too lazy to read all of it.
On the last page it says there will be combos in UT2,you'll have to collect energy balls from dead enemies and that energy will let you perform special moves (mostly advanced strafes).
It also says that several team members can join their pulse gun beam to create a huge beam .
I'll comment more tomorrow.

TaoPaiPai
2nd Jan 2002, 08:36 PM
It also says that UT2 and UC will have A LOT in common but they will be 2 different games.

RegularX
2nd Jan 2002, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by TaoPaiPai
It also says that UT2 and UC will have A LOT in common but they will be 2 different games.

But what about UW and UT2? Epic is putting out 2 MP based games? I suppose if they aren't too expensive, but putting out U2, UW and UT2 all in the same short period of time seems to be a lot to ask from a gamer's wallet...

rgx

Justin286
2nd Jan 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RegularX
But what about UW and UT2? Epic is putting out 2 MP based games? I suppose if they aren't too expensive, but putting out U2, UW and UT2 all in the same short period of time seems to be a lot to ask from a gamer's wallet...

rgx
Let's not forget brand confusion.
How's the average person gonna be able to tell the difference among all those products?
As it is, I know people who mix up Unreal and UT.
And those are only two games.

JuiceEggsMcKenna
2nd Jan 2002, 09:59 PM
That's an awful lot of letters to mistype...

Night|Ryda
2nd Jan 2002, 10:38 PM
/me totally not going to believe any word of this.
From a little typo,it made a rumor this big?
I'm freakin' looking forward to unreal2 here
and I really need a break from multiplayer based games.
Those pics were obviously the pics from UC and
I can't even believe that magazine editors would make
such a false preview.
If it is true,I really hope that UT2 releases 2 years after
U2 is released.

Kray
2nd Jan 2002, 11:03 PM
Who's the guy in the french PC mag?

Tapeworm
2nd Jan 2002, 11:41 PM
I believe that this is UT2, but i will say, in my opinion, it doesn't look very impressive at all. From what i can see of the levels, they look boring fighting environments, the character's also don't look like that much ahead of UT's, kinda on the same par as Q3's character models.

Well the screenshots look like anything else but the Unreal engine. Now this could be because the completely reworked it...who knows. If you look closely you see two weapons vaguely resembling a minigun and a pulsegun, but the rest is just wrong, and doesn't look Unreal.

Unreal 2 doesn't look anything like Unreal or Unreal Tournament, same with Unreal Championship. Well, i don't think so anyway. I remember looking at the pics and seeing what looked like a new version of the eightball from Unreal. But i doubt a French mag would go to all the trouble of making fake screenshots and risk getting in legal trouble... also, look at that drawing on the first page :eek: don't think thats fake...

Of course, i'm probably wrong and will look pretty stupid if it's a hoax :D

rhakka
3rd Jan 2002, 02:33 AM
I strongly doubt they are faking it; from what i've been hearing about this french mag, it would be like PC gamer running a four page feature on a game that didn't exist; not very likely, they have other stuff to fill those pages with.

So I'm convinced.

It looks to me, from the dates being tossed around, is U2 sometime in Febuary, UT2 "3rd quarter '02" (at least six months between them)

UW: I never saw any date on that earlier than some time in 03. I would personally guess late in 03 myself just to give the other two time to mature and let the sales die down a bit.

The only overlap between UT2 and U2 will be CTF and TDM style gameplay I think. U2 has a class based MP mode like TFC or RTCW or something that i haven't heard anything about UC or UT2 having, so that will be on its own.

at any rate, this is very interesting, I guess we're all in for a fun year :D now send me money so I can get a sweet rig!

Prophetus
3rd Jan 2002, 02:59 AM
Once again, neither Infogrames, Epic or Digital Extremes have confirmed the existence of Unreal Tournament 2 for the PC. And their last official statement was "the news is erroneous".

That's a french magazine and they played the game in the Us at Digital extreme headquarters

TaoPaiPai...let's pretend you didn't say that, since DE's located at London, Ontario Canada, not in the U.S.:rolleyes:

Tetris L
3rd Jan 2002, 04:38 AM

No, Prophetus, it looks like UT2 is real.

- The content of the French magazine article is totally different to that CVG news post.

- Infogrames never said UT2 doesn't exist. They only said that the release date was an error. Regarding UT2 the only thing they said was "No Comment!"

- The content of the French magazine article is in line with two articles that appeared in 2 German magazines in their Feb 2002 issues. The description of the game features was very detailed.

- One of those two German articles says that DE gave a presentation to the press in their offices a while back, but told those who were present that no info may be released before January 1st, 2002 and no screenshots before January 15th, 2002. They said that Infogrames have given the exclusive 1st publishing rights of screenies to a North American Magazine (probably CGW, CVG or CGM).

I was very skeptical in the beginning, but meanwhile I believe that it is true: UC will be ported to PC, slightly modified and under the name UT2. :) :)

hal
3rd Jan 2002, 04:59 AM
Tapeworm, I'll have to disagree with you there. I think the look is great. The character models look much more detailed than UT's the environments look awesome.

What remains to be seen though is how the maps play. All the ones pictured are wide-open, and while that's fine for a few CTF maps, DM maps like that would be kind of one-dimensional.

Prophetus
3rd Jan 2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Tetris L

No, Prophetus, it looks like UT2 is real.

- The content of the French magazine article is totally different to that CVG news post.

According to the French site, they received the news via someone at CVG:

The scoop comes us from a crafty one from CVG: as opposed to what they claim (the infos would come from a "mysterious " source "), our not very scrupulous fellow-members quite simply chose not to respect an agreement of confidentiality which they had had to sign before going to return visit to the developers.

I can say this, doesn't matter which mag, U.S., French or German released this info. If it is true, I assure you the site/mag who leaked the info is now blacklisted.

- One of those two German articles says that DE gave a presentation to the press in their offices a while back, but told those who were present that no info may be released before January 1st, 2002 and no screenshots before January 15th, 2002.

OK, it's now the 3rd of January and where is all the "Official" info? None of the reputable sites have official word on UT2. More specifically, neither DE nor Infogrames released confirmation. Even PC Gamer, who is tight with Infogrames, does not mention anything about UT2 (however, they normally wait until their next magazine is released). On the 15th of January, we'll see if official word about UT2 is released. However, I still can't see why they would want to port over a console game.

Sure, it's easy to port over UC, but to tag it as UT2? Unreal 2 will have multiplayer, and for DE, Epic or Infogrames to even consider releasing a port in or around the same time frame is...well...silly. Doesn't mean the X-box or other consoles won't receive a UT2 for their systems, but I seriously doubt it will be made for the PC.

Sure, I can be wrong, but I'll stick to my "sources". And they aren't from a site or mag who can't respect the non-disclosure agreement.

el Gato
3rd Jan 2002, 06:31 AM
Quoted from CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?domain=&feed=index&page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php?id=23094) this morning:

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2 CONFIRMED BY INFOGRAMES

The existence of Unreal Tournament 2 was unofficially unearthed recently, but its publisher came clean yesterday

15:53 Infogrames sent out a release schedule last night that confirmed what we've been telling you for weeks: Unreal Tournament 2 is alive and well and living in Digital Extremes' happy hidey-hole in deepest darkest Ontario. The Canadian developer's covert project the company is also openly working on Unreal Championship for Xbox - is secret no longer. Now all you can do is sit quietly and knot your little legs in anticipation.
According to the publisher, the game is slated for a "2002" release, although specifics came there none. It should be pointed out though, that most of the other titles with dates to be confirmed on the schedule were described as "late 2002". A glimmer of hope at least of the game hitting in the first half of the year.

Also included in the schedule is a fixed date for Unreal 2. According to Infogrames, the massively anticipated Epic-developed PC shooter hits Europe on May 24, 2002.

The edition of CVG magazine going on sale tomorrow contains a new image of Unreal 2 a teaser on the last page. More on this very soon.

UPDATE

Infogrames UK has just issued the following statement regarding the release schedule we received yesterday and the existence of Unreal Tournament 2.

"The release schedule that was emailed out contained erroneous information," said Simon Callaghan, PR manager for the publisher. "Unreal Tournament 2 was a typing error and should have read as Unreal 2. It should have been removed from the 2002 section once it was moved to May 24, 2002 upon finalization of its release date, but was accidentally left on there and listed incorrectly. Infogrames has no official comment regarding the existence of an Unreal Tournament 2."

Lily
3rd Jan 2002, 06:46 AM

According to the French site, they received the news via someone at CVG:

I can say this, doesn't matter which mag, U.S., French or German released this info. If it is true, I assure you the site/mag who leaked the info is now blacklisted.

I don't see Infogrames or anyone blacklisting a magazine that sells 200.000 copies every month. Actually, I can assure you that it's not going to happen. They would cut their own throat.

Beside, what is that 'french site' you keep talking about ?

Lily

Prophetus
3rd Jan 2002, 08:23 AM
Lily --------> http://www.joystick.fr/news/fiche_news.php3?ID=3978

It's the link and source of the Planet Unreal story...first post in this thread.

Cut their own throat? Dunno about that. There are thousands of magazines that sell quite well in their respected countries and still don't receive inside scoops or invitations for private viewings. I know of many magazines that violated NDA's and now ride piggy back to rival mags.

Tetris L
3rd Jan 2002, 08:25 AM
The scoop comes us from a crafty one from CVG: as opposed to what they claim (the infos would come from a "mysterious " source "), our not very scrupulous fellow-members quite simply chose not to respect an agreement of confidentiality which they had had to sign before going to return visit to the developers.
Where is that quote comming from??

However, the quote confirms what the articles in the two German magazines say: There was a presentation for some magazines in the DE office. Everybody present had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, probably until January 15th, because Infogrames had given the exclusive rights to some magazine. Then somebody leaked the info and CVG (who were obviously not at the presentation and didn't sign anything) blabbed it out. I don't know what happened then; maybe the other magazines were pissed off and since the cat was out of the bag they demanded the right to publish at least the text info. But Infogrames is not saying anything and not giving clearance to release screenshots until Jan 15th.

Looks like we'Lll have to wait til 2002-01-15for Infogrames to clear up the big mess. :)

Prophetus
3rd Jan 2002, 08:29 AM
Tetris, click the link above your post

Tetris L
3rd Jan 2002, 08:32 AM
I see now. You made your post while I typed mine. :)

TaoPaiPai
3rd Jan 2002, 08:33 AM

Where is that quote comming from??

However, the quote confirms what the articles in the two German magazines say: There was a presentation for some magazines in the DE office. Everybody present had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, probably until January 15th, because Infogrames had given the exclusive rights to some magazine. Then somebody leaked the info and CVG (who were obviously not at the presentation and didn't sign anything) blabbed it out. I don't know what happened then; maybe the other magazines were pissed off and since the cat was out of the bag they demanded the right to publish at least the text info. But Infogrames is not saying anything and not giving clearance to release screenshots until Jan 15th.

Looks like we'Lll have to wait til 2002-01-15for Infogrames to clear up the big mess. :)
Pff..
Marketing will kill videogames :(

TaoPaiPai
3rd Jan 2002, 09:00 AM
This is the whole article short:

-Journalist says he's back from the Us with a lot of info on UT2

-First part is a short 'biography' of digital extremes talking about their previous games and their relation with epic (Epic creates games engines and DE creates contents).

-The guys in the photos are Steve Sinclair (coder) and James Schmatz (?)

-UT2 and UC will have A LOT in common but they will be 2 different games because of the difference of the platform

-The game will make great use of the new engines capabilities :great exteriors and use of vehicles.

-DE has modified the engine to add particle effects,rain ,custom water effects (ripples,etc..).A rocket launched through a smoke screen will affect the smoke.Blah blah blah.

-DE has created a custom skeletal animation system and characters anims will kick ass.Blah blah.

- DE customization :Maps will use radiosity on the lightings :con:

-Textures can go up to 1024 x 1024

-They talk about the integrated physics engine called 'math engine'.

-UT2 will be shipped with the latest version of unrealed that will be compatible with 3dsMax (hence Gmax) to import brushes.

-Lead designer is Pancho Eekels

-There will be combos in UT2,you'll have to collect energy balls from dead enemies and that energy will let you perform special moves (mostly advanced strafes).
It also says that several team members can join their pulse gun beam to create a huge beam .

-No more pickups.There will be pads .When you step on a health pad your health is restored.The same for weapon pads and armor pads...You spawn with all weapons

-A new SP ladder very sophisticated with several ladders in parallel ,A LOT of hidden characters and bonus and you can hire talented fighters in your team .Each teammember will gain experience and ability after each victory (a la RPG).

-Now the story: WOOSH ! :rolleyes:
A new alien race has invaded earth, they found the Tournament and thought it was fun.So they continued the tournament and exported it to their remote space colonies.

-There will be a lot of different player models to choose from (unlike UT1) and different alien races:Egyptian humanoids,humans,alien invaders, other alien race,robots and unreal1 mercenaries.

-They talk about the MP teamgame system and all I can say is that it sounds very complicated

Tapeworm
3rd Jan 2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by hal
Tapeworm, I'll have to disagree with you there. I think the look is great. The character models look much more detailed than UT's the environments look awesome.

What remains to be seen though is how the maps play. All the ones pictured are wide-open, and while that's fine for a few CTF maps, DM maps like that would be kind of one-dimensional.

Yeah that's what i meant, if those maps are for DM, they look pretty boring, just wide open spaces, no ramps, raised areas, platforms, scenery to hide behind etc.

The best way i can describe it is Q3's models in Serious Sam type maps.

Hmmm... guess i'm just disappointed, i expected something a lot like the first UT, with similar map design, but with greatly improved graphics :hmm:

I'm very excited about the game modes though, being able to hire people looks interesting, and i am VERY glad you start with all weapons, that was one poblem with regular DM on UT, ou had to collect weapons, but this time it looks like the emphasis is on combat straight away :)

Snarf
3rd Jan 2002, 11:31 AM
omg, what a childish story. :rolleyes:

The only thing I find exciting is the SP ladder.

rhakka
3rd Jan 2002, 11:57 AM
I have played maybe 5-6 matches of UT single player. I don't expect I'll be playing much more of UT2's. MP is where it's at :D

hal
3rd Jan 2002, 12:54 PM
Know of any good leauges, rhakka?

rhakka
3rd Jan 2002, 06:37 PM
no, but I might in about three weeks :D

Daedalus
4th Jan 2002, 06:10 PM
well, now if u look at what is happening now, Infogrames is going to make an official statement about UT2! It DOES exist

and 84, the reason it looks so weird is because it's basically a UC-2-PC Port rewrapped and called UT2 for the PC! And I certainly have no problem w/ getting to play UC on the PC!