Well, it's fecking confirmed...UT2 LIVES!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Looks like the game has a long ways to go. Let's not get our panties in a twist just yet :hmm:. Still, something to look forward to.

Lily

Biatch
Originally posted by Prophetus
That French site receive the news from: Computer and Video Game. And that site posted an update from Infogrames, which basically says the news is erroneous.

I'm lost, what french site are you talking about ?

As for the screenshots...probably fake. Our official comment is the same as Infogrames.

All I know is that the article from the magazine is far from sounding speculative or anything. Much more like a preview with the information straight from Digital Extremes ...

Lily

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
If those ss's are faked, they are very well faked. And that would be some fancy artwork.

Where did you see that it came from C&VG? Strange that there aren't any mags or sites this side of the pond with the scoop if it's real though, considering the market.

rgx

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Well the screenshots look like anything else but the Unreal engine. Now this could be because the completely reworked it...who knows. If you look closely you see two weapons vaguely resembling a minigun and a pulsegun, but the rest is just wrong, and doesn't look Unreal.

I seriously doubt, Epic, Legened, DE, or whoever gave a french mag exclusive rights, if you look how tightlipped they are even about U2

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Whatever it is, it looks pretty sweet. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see it first in a French Gaming Magazine when you consider that Infogrames is a French company.

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
/Me sobs over the day that I lent out my french textbook only to never see it again.
I can actually read bits and pieces of the article, but nothing near enough to figure out what they're actually talking about. :(

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
That French site receive the news from: Computer and Video Game. And that site posted an update from Infogrames, which basically says the news is erroneous.

As for the screenshots...probably fake. Our official comment is the same as Infogrames.

Let's pretend you didn't say anything :D hehehe
:rolleyes:
That's a french magazine and they played the game in the Us at Digital extreme headquarters.It was an official press release apparently (being the most important videogame mag in France it is surely not a fake,FYi half of this mag is made of ads,so to say that their words are to be granted as 'official').
I was too lazy to read all of it.
On the last page it says there will be combos in UT2,you'll have to collect energy balls from dead enemies and that energy will let you perform special moves (mostly advanced strafes).
It also says that several team members can join their pulse gun beam to create a huge beam .
I'll comment more tomorrow.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by TaoPaiPai
It also says that UT2 and UC will have A LOT in common but they will be 2 different games.

But what about UW and UT2? Epic is putting out 2 MP based games? I suppose if they aren't too expensive, but putting out U2, UW and UT2 all in the same short period of time seems to be a lot to ask from a gamer's wallet...

rgx

Justin286

Smooth Criminal
Jul 26, 2001
Bk, Nyc
Originally posted by RegularX
But what about UW and UT2? Epic is putting out 2 MP based games? I suppose if they aren't too expensive, but putting out U2, UW and UT2 all in the same short period of time seems to be a lot to ask from a gamer's wallet...

rgx
Let's not forget brand confusion.
How's the average person gonna be able to tell the difference among all those products?
As it is, I know people who mix up Unreal and UT.
And those are only two games.

Night|Ryda

Local Dysfunctional
Dec 24, 2001
Visit site
/me totally not going to believe any word of this.
From a little typo,it made a rumor this big?
I'm freakin' looking forward to unreal2 here
and I really need a break from multiplayer based games.
Those pics were obviously the pics from UC and
I can't even believe that magazine editors would make
such a false preview.
If it is true,I really hope that UT2 releases 2 years after
U2 is released.

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
I believe that this is UT2, but i will say, in my opinion, it doesn't look very impressive at all. From what i can see of the levels, they look boring fighting environments, the character's also don't look like that much ahead of UT's, kinda on the same par as Q3's character models.

Well the screenshots look like anything else but the Unreal engine. Now this could be because the completely reworked it...who knows. If you look closely you see two weapons vaguely resembling a minigun and a pulsegun, but the rest is just wrong, and doesn't look Unreal.

Unreal 2 doesn't look anything like Unreal or Unreal Tournament, same with Unreal Championship. Well, i don't think so anyway. I remember looking at the pics and seeing what looked like a new version of the eightball from Unreal. But i doubt a French mag would go to all the trouble of making fake screenshots and risk getting in legal trouble... also, look at that drawing on the first page :eek: don't think thats fake...

Of course, i'm probably wrong and will look pretty stupid if it's a hoax :D

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
first off

I strongly doubt they are faking it; from what i've been hearing about this french mag, it would be like PC gamer running a four page feature on a game that didn't exist; not very likely, they have other stuff to fill those pages with.

So I'm convinced.

It looks to me, from the dates being tossed around, is U2 sometime in Febuary, UT2 "3rd quarter '02" (at least six months between them)

UW: I never saw any date on that earlier than some time in 03. I would personally guess late in 03 myself just to give the other two time to mature and let the sales die down a bit.

The only overlap between UT2 and U2 will be CTF and TDM style gameplay I think. U2 has a class based MP mode like TFC or RTCW or something that i haven't heard anything about UC or UT2 having, so that will be on its own.

at any rate, this is very interesting, I guess we're all in for a fun year :D now send me money so I can get a sweet rig!

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Once again, neither Infogrames, Epic or Digital Extremes have confirmed the existence of Unreal Tournament 2 for the PC. And their last official statement was "the news is erroneous".

That's a french magazine and they played the game in the Us at Digital extreme headquarters

TaoPaiPai...let's pretend you didn't say that, since DE's located at London, Ontario Canada, not in the U.S.:rolleyes:

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com

No, Prophetus, it looks like UT2 is real.

- The content of the French magazine article is totally different to that CVG news post.

- Infogrames never said UT2 doesn't exist. They only said that the release date was an error. Regarding UT2 the only thing they said was "No Comment!"

- The content of the French magazine article is in line with two articles that appeared in 2 German magazines in their Feb 2002 issues. The description of the game features was very detailed.

- One of those two German articles says that DE gave a presentation to the press in their offices a while back, but told those who were present that no info may be released before January 1st, 2002 and no screenshots before January 15th, 2002. They said that Infogrames have given the exclusive 1st publishing rights of screenies to a North American Magazine (probably CGW, CVG or CGM).

I was very skeptical in the beginning, but meanwhile I believe that it is true: UC will be ported to PC, slightly modified and under the name UT2. :) :)