PDA

View Full Version : does this map have any potential? :|

[Rans0m4eveR]
31st Dec 2001, 12:26 AM
this is my first map, DM-SkaarjWarShip and its not even close to being done yet. i just wanna kno if i suck or not :)
like i said, does it have any potential if i kept working on it?

StoneViper
31st Dec 2001, 08:24 AM
perhaps a screenie.....

Luggage
31st Dec 2001, 11:22 AM
yeah, a screenie would be cool... /me is a dialup wreck

just click on that little "vB code" link down at the bottom left of the page... at least on this reply page it is.

[Rans0m4eveR]
31st Dec 2001, 10:30 PM
btw how do you make lights have that lens flarey thing?

unfortunately i dont have a webpage, so i cant put the image on here unless there is another way? :(

RigorMortis
1st Jan 2002, 12:09 AM
there is another way... just snap your screenshot with F9, open itfrom your UT system folder into photoshop or similar app, change it to a jpeg and add it as an attatchment like you did your map. :Poop:

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Jan 2002, 12:18 AM
thx

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Jan 2002, 12:21 AM
btw, how do u make light flares?

RigorMortis
1st Jan 2002, 01:00 AM
ok.

i played the map.

irf you kept working (and working very hard) of course this map. like any other (besides my own GraveIntentions) has potential. :)

Lens Flares are easy... create a light (hold L and left click) and under its properties and set its brightness to ZERO and then set Corona to True. goto display and find where it says Skin...

to set the skin you need to open a texture package with coronas, try using GenFX and please use Flare3. with flare3 selected slick the use button next to skin in the lights display properties...

try creating more light sources... use a smaller light radius.
also the map, at this point is very linear, try expanding in all directions not just in a straight line.

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Jan 2002, 01:28 AM
sorry, i didn't realise people were actually going to download this map :) here's the latest version. it's still not anywhere near finished yet, though. can you give me some feedback on the lighting? i'm not sure if it's too dark or not.

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Jan 2002, 01:50 AM
i did that with the lens flares, and it worked, but the flare is HUGE. why is that?

lucifix
1st Jan 2002, 03:00 AM
um......well.....uh, if youj include the .unr file in the zip we might could play it ;)

i downloaded it and got a critical error: cant find skaarjwarship......

lucifix
1st Jan 2002, 03:01 AM
well the ujnr file is in it bujt it wouldnt load in UT or in UED........

Luggage
1st Jan 2002, 08:55 AM
hm, really looks like it's in its early stages... And it looks far too boxy! :) Try to break up horizontal lines with pillars or whatever in vertically oriented rooms, and vertical lines in horizontally oriented rooms. *sigh* Architecture is an art for itself, and so damn hard! :(

StoneViper
1st Jan 2002, 12:20 PM
to change the size of the lenz flare

in the light properties ->display ->drawscale = .25

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Jan 2002, 09:14 PM
lucifix: maybe u dont have the right .umx or .utx files 2 run it?

luggage: ur right. damn textures :o the next version i post here i will try 2 fix up the textures.

thx stoneviper & rigormortis 4 lens flare stuff

i made a sphere in a new room, with more polies so it actaully looks liek a sphere but now when you run into it in the game u die and the game sez "Rans0m4eveR left a small crater"?!?! wtf??!?

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Jan 2002, 09:38 PM
lucifix: i think i found the problem. i used an unreal 1 .umx 4 the music, :rolleyes: which i got from Unreal/UT mod (unreal 1 sp 4 ut) here is the same version just without music:

[Rans0m4eveR]
6th Jan 2002, 01:45 AM
ah damn everyone got bored with me. :( goddamnit if anyone actually pays attention to me this time then plz tell me coz ive got a new version of the map now :( :( :(

Call me Erdrik
7th Jan 2002, 04:12 PM
:p im sure they just busy. be patien I myself take at least a day to respond.. or they did get bored with ya :D lol in that case just bugg them till the respond again! :lol:

Claw
7th Jan 2002, 08:45 PM
I don't quite see why everyone insists one should use an extra light for the flare when you can use the original light source itself. Not that I don't see how it can be useful, but why always?
Wouldn't it kinda be better not to have twice the number of lights, half of them only for coronas?
Try using less birght coronas anyway. There are some that create a nice halo. flare8 methinks, have a look.

RigorMortis
7th Jan 2002, 10:43 PM
i say this:

go to nali city, read some of the review of maps that scored 7 or above... and look at the maps that scored 3 or below.... see what is right way and what is not right way, then download or look at in UED(if you already have them) maps from the floowing people for the following attributes:

Architecture: INOXX!!! Chicoverde,

Layout/Flow: DAVIDM!!! CliffyB, Faceless, clawfist, Baastian "Checker" Frank

Lighting: RICH "AKUMA" EASTWOOD HAS THE BEST LIGHTS EVER!!! DavidM pays keen attention to lights as well (lights can make or break it for ya)

And for an all around awesome lesson in what to do, download the TeamVortex 1-on-1 mappack... its totally worth it!! DavidM2, and Ictus show you exactly what layout is!!

anyhow... check out those designers (a few of the best IMO)

-Rig

DavidM
11th Jan 2002, 02:51 PM
there is no teamvortex 1on1 pack, and the layout in ictus' map sucks :/

Luggage
11th Jan 2002, 03:04 PM
still it's cool. Those WoT textures make for a kinda fresh look IMO

DavidM
11th Jan 2002, 03:07 PM
ehm
It was about the floorplan/layout 0_O

Luggage
11th Jan 2002, 03:16 PM
oh oops.

RigorMortis
11th Jan 2002, 10:44 PM
CORRECTION: the 1on1 pak is not "team vortex" but that little phag went and made a couple maps for a 1on1 pak that just so happens that a couple guys from Vortex contibuted to... god your a bastard. LOL i love it tho. im starting to like hourences maps a little more anyway... what can i say... variety is the spice of life.

so check out hourences maps.. see what he was doing when he first started... and look at his later stuff... plus hes more than willing to give you very useful advice on your upcoming maps...

and 1on1 ictus is awesome, DavidM wouldnt know a good map if it came up and bit him on the ass. everyone loves that map except DavidM... dont get me wrong DavidM, you make a great map, you just make it over and over is all.

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 06:36 AM
i know many more you cant stand the map
i think ictus doesnt like it either

but look at the map he made after that one....
dm-adversity is pure p1mpness

Luggage
12th Jan 2002, 12:06 PM
Adversity is cool! :D I even got beat by bots there once...

[IMD1]KillRoy
12th Jan 2002, 12:41 PM
/me loves adversity

RigorMortis
12th Jan 2002, 01:22 PM
ive said to you before DavidM... adversity fukkin OWNZ HARDCORE @$$

onr of my favorite UT maps of all time!

SkaarjWarship can becomethis good as well... tell him David, do you still p1|\/|p your first map?? everyone must start somewhere!! even the best!!

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 01:25 PM
only adversity problem is that its too small
you cannot 'play' with your enemy like in curse or phobos

skaarjwarship?
my first map? it doesnt even exist any more

RigorMortis
12th Jan 2002, 02:09 PM
exactly...all im saying is with proper encoutragment this fellow can do for you what you have done for so many... that is entertain. mapping is peoples gift to the community (if done well) and one will do well if taught well... you know ALOT about UED... we all know what makes a good map, but you know how to translate that into UED and thats talent DAvid... now be a nice kiddo and share some of your fountain of knowledge with us lackluster ne'erdowells instead of chopping on ictus' maps... i mean hell... ictus is still kinda new himself isnt he?? and DAMN if he aint a quick learner!! why is he a quick learner, cuz he has good teachers and hhe listens to them, most of us would love to listen if you guys would just teach.

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 04:17 PM
ehm
you kinda make no sense

i always help ppl who ask me (and sometimes if they dont ask), i wrote tut's....

"instead of chopping on ictus' maps... i mean hell... ictus is still kinda new himself isnt he??...."

ehm
yeah, he is very good
so that means I have to love one of his maps that sucks? :|
*cough*

@kuma
12th Jan 2002, 04:48 PM
I hardly think Ictus is likely to stop mapping if david doesnt like one of his maps

but if someone DID decide to stop mapping because Mr M didnt like something they made in Ued then they should really get out more.

Blame most 'successfull' mappers apparent lack of interest in 'helping n00bs' on people like Alex][, a lack of time, the large number of tutorials already availible online and general apathy :p

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 04:53 PM
ictus is not an idiot who is pissed when I dont like his stuff

often he agrees with me....and if he does not agree he's just doing his thing

n00bs wanna hear how good it is, they dont even ask themselves "is he right in this point?"....they just think "i'm doing this for fun, i'm not a pro, davidm critisizes ME => mean and arrogant n00b basher"

RigorMortis
12th Jan 2002, 05:04 PM
not at all

im came off the wrong way up there... im a n00b and i love the criticism... did i bitch when you criticized my map david? no, i was happy as hell that you were helping me!!

Alex][ is different story alltogether!!! LMFAO@him.com

@kuma: i agree, if someone doesnt want to hear the criticism then they shouldnt bother posting their work here anyway... and they should get laid.

i think it is AWESOME that you guys come here and spend time on us n00bs... you surely dont owe it to us... im not bitching... im just kinda digressing. oh well

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 05:10 PM
i know
when i gave you the feedback you sounded sane
but your latest posts here didnt 0_O

@kuma
12th Jan 2002, 05:29 PM
it really depends on the question

if someone asks me 'how do I make a solid sheet' or something equally banal thats been answered 100000 times already then I dont bother replying to them, and they probably think I'm more 'mean and arrogant' than David

I'd just point you to this thread for a load of stuff most Ued sites don't seem to understand, and david's lighting tutorials -

http://forums.tactical-ops.to/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9920

I'm more likely to answer questions there because the NCBBS has always been a bit of a joke & certainly never somewhere you'd come for a serious Unrealed discussion... Also the kind of mis-information that's accepted as fact on 'other' ued messageboards ("make every brush a semisolid! Deintersect everything! 400 polys is fine!" etc) isn't allowed :p

the losers on these boards who get off on bashing 'davidm style unoriginal cookie cutter maps' dont realise the lighting style tutorial is a great starting place for learning what works in the editor, which is why they're still using orange and green on their 'artistic' and 'different' nalicastle textured maps

the same goes for composition and learning gameplay. So they end up with ugly, unplayable 'different' maps that are infintely worse than the most cynical remake of DM-Pah

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 05:35 PM
never seen a serious rich before
i like you much more this way

RigorMortis
12th Jan 2002, 06:19 PM
i didnt mean to come across that way (insane) before... accept my apologies.

i have read every tutorial there is i think.. i dont ask lame questions about solid sheets... lol.

Davids tut's are an awesome place to start learning mapping... and he even says thats its OK to copy your favorite maps to try and grasp how the subractive architecture works... kusod to him and all the others for teaching us... thats what im trying to say.. i didnt get it accross before cuz i was upset at how i never hear DAvidM go off as emotionaly about what he likes as he does about what he dislikes. He is one of my favorite mappers and god knows i have a firm understanding of what he dislikes in mapping... but he never says nice **** along with it... how bout this "Ictus' layout sucked my nut sac, but his lighting was on!" or something... ok thats gay... nevermind.

his ownaghe page is even sparse with complimentary commentary... aka "Ulukai finally made a map i like... in all fairness you do it to your own maps too... a perfectionist you are, and thats good,,, but jesus christ you make some cool ass $hit and then say it sucks! :P (of course thursday and alcatraz arent your best work.... but still) ;)

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 06:25 PM
"i was upset at how i never hear DAvidM go off as emotionaly about what he likes as he does about what he dislikes."

yap...that's right I think

probably because it makes me aggressive when ppl like some worthless mappingc4rp

never mention thursday again... it has never been good, i was just learning how to map there
lots of ASSBIG rooms interlinked with small hallways....its just as bad as the id maps

Balton
12th Jan 2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by DavidM
because it makes me aggressive when ppl like some worthless mappingc4rp

do you start breaking stuff than?

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 06:41 PM
what do you mean?

RigorMortis
12th Jan 2002, 10:51 PM
i'll nevber mention thursday again.

tell me your favorite map... wtf makes it good??

p.s. i hate when @$$ faces start hardcore pimping on lame@$$ maps too... here is a perfect example of such pimpage:

http://www.nalicity.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=5430

:D

anyhow...

DavidM
12th Jan 2002, 10:59 PM
"Another good cryptic textured map."
there was not a single one, and this one is none either

the map "manages to look good because of the good architecture"

can't remember adding architecture to the map

"The textures have enough variety and mix up with the lighting nicely."
*cough*

"Item placement is nothing less than admirable. Items are laid out just as they should be."
couldn't be described any better

the review gods at nc....

RigorMortis
12th Jan 2002, 11:16 PM
LOL

dont you hate it... do you feel like you may never get a fair review again just cuz your DavidM?

(well.. cant get a review if you dont MAKE ANY MAPS!!) goddamn dude... make a map already... im dying over here, you think my maps are doing it for me???

[Rans0m4eveR]
13th Jan 2002, 06:21 AM
uhh.. geez ive only been gone a few weeks and ive got 44 replies.. :)

now isnt that interesting? as soon as i give up on the thread everyone (that is, DavidM and RigorMortis) start chatting.. :) what do u mean "its not there anymore"? oh well.. heres the new version, can u plz give me some feedback on everything, lighting and layout especially?

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 06:49 AM
rigord00d
I don't want reviews
cause all reviewers I know are retards

the mighty deathbliss sent me an email telling me that he thinks that most reviewers suck, but he is one of the few good ones.....uhm....yes :|

but you won't believe it, when I've gone to bed this morning I had a vision.....it was a dm map....
I'm gonna build that one now :)

[IMD1]KillRoy
13th Jan 2002, 07:16 AM
:D finaly!! :D

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 12:13 PM
gah
I canceled it
it looks ghey

I need a clean texture set before I do something like that
my textures are too choppy

[IMD1]KillRoy
13th Jan 2002, 12:34 PM
LOL :D:D

LEGO-a-gogo!!!

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 12:52 PM
Hehe cool - I'm inspired :) Gotta take that ole digicam and build a bit with my little sis' Lego :D

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 12:54 PM
inspired = 100% ripped

its not as easy as it looks
I realized that soon :/

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 01:03 PM
inspired = 100% ripped

Damn, you've got me :D It's a fresh idea, or have there been such maps already?

btw for an innovative map concept, check this:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=90910

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 01:11 PM
there was a decyber lego map (it was more duplo) but it was übercrappy....so we dont count that one

promising gameplay -> http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/shot_poowars1.jpg

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 01:13 PM
LOL you just GOT TO experience being farted to death :D

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 01:18 PM
aaah
you play in some ass and thats a big bunch of **** over there....oh :P
thats indeed a new theme....but like for most themes the gameplay suffers from it

in this case its just '****ty'

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 01:18 PM
Hm, do you think it works if I just put them Lego stones (right word?) on my scanner? :)

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 01:23 PM
thats indeed a new theme....but like for most themes the gameplay suffers from it

That's true, but indeed it's just for fun - **** on the cr4ppy gameplay :) After all I don't want to get this into official League rotation or something... Although it would be a nice idea :) No, I don't think so :)

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 01:23 PM
good idea
scanner should be better
I did it with a camera...not good 0_O

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 01:32 PM
this's literally a sh1t map....give it to nucleus or chainsaw.....the usually give high scores to thes kind of maps

Evil_Cope
13th Jan 2002, 02:03 PM
im pretty sure i saw a lego texture pack on shock-sytem (or is that system shock)

but i dont know if its out yet.

Evil_Cope
13th Jan 2002, 02:07 PM
http://www.planetunreal.com/shocksystems/images/SSFragoLandex.jpg

it isnt out yet it seems.

the guy is kind of missing...

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 02:09 PM
that's the problem
they look awful
they are made with computer only.....
it will look too decyberish

i gotta put together a clean pack made of photos or scans

RigorMortis
13th Jan 2002, 02:21 PM
so is that it?? if its not grey brick at rainfx/metalmys then its FUKKIN L:EGOS!!!!!! your killing me Daveyd00d.

:(

stick to grey brick...

p.s. yeah most reviewers suck my nards... scimitar got a 10

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 02:33 PM
this's literally a sh1t map....give it to nucleus or chainsaw.....the usually give high scores to thes kind of maps

LoL gotta finish it first... though I doubt I will.

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 04:24 PM
Ok, built a little, and here's what my scanner produced:

http://www.unrealism.com/luggage/gfx/LegoWallPlain1.jpg

not finished up though, gotta get Photoshop working again grrr.

Now, what about a official LEGO(tm) Map Pack? That would be cool, wouldn't it? Anyone who wants to contribute, just tell! Or whatever. Comments?

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 04:28 PM
nah
you cannot use that

2 things

1. it looks like made with paintbrush......
thats because there are no shadows when you use a scanner...
2. you gotta use 4*8 blocks

4 stones width
8 stones high

you cannot work with 3*10 (like in your pic)

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 04:32 PM
But 4*8 doesn't fit: 6 of those horizontal nipples are exactly 5 vertical blocks high - I checked for that.

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 04:36 PM
i know
just stretch it
thats the only way
other wise its just impossible to build it clean

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 04:38 PM
mmm kay! Sure, should've thought of that... /me bangs forehead

@kuma
13th Jan 2002, 04:41 PM
flat mono-color lego brick textures would only work with material settings - specular and a subtle bump-map.. and max payne style lighting :)

otherwise they'd look too awful to contemplate

[IMD1]KillRoy
13th Jan 2002, 04:44 PM
LOL!!:D

Is there something like a lego dude model for UT?

You can make a MOD out of it, maps made out of lego, and you play as a lego dude with some bad ass lego weapons...

LOL:D

You even have space lego so you can make space maps.....

Now thats something for laughs!!

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 04:44 PM
yap
the max payne radiosity is the only thing that can make **** like that look good

max payne textures with unreal lighting = arse

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 04:47 PM
there IS a lego playermodel
and as far as I remember it was well made
its almost 2 years old

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 04:48 PM
:´(

[IMD1]KillRoy
13th Jan 2002, 04:57 PM
:D

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 04:59 PM
straight from the decyber facility of leetness 2 pics with pointers on how not to do it

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 05:01 PM

[IMD1]KillRoy
13th Jan 2002, 05:08 PM
did he make every block of lego out of 1 brush??

DavidM
13th Jan 2002, 05:10 PM
dunno
look for dmnoddy (without the minus - )

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 05:35 PM
Gay = purple bricks

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 05:41 PM
...and furthermore a ceiling without lego structure.

Luggage
13th Jan 2002, 05:47 PM
oh, I forgot to mention the floor. Basically, everything. </rambling>

faderide
13th Jan 2002, 10:03 PM
Yes. It has potential.
It just needs some fine tuning and tweaking.
The lights in the sphere room were blinking and I didnt notice any blinking light source.
There are a few places that could use some texture alignment.
( I noticed one in one of the hallways leaving the sphere room where the floor needed alignment)
Your skybox (viewable through the glass where you have the superhealth) needs alignment. Might try scaling it up a bit and adding some other things to the stars so its not just a bunch of
white dots.
The redeemer was difficult to get with the jump boots....might try lowering the platform a wee bit, but maybe I didnt do it right, I only tried to get it once.
Textures could be more varied. Looks like your using alot of the same..change it up a bit.
I feel the skaarj warship atmosphere with the darkness and the blinking lights, but you might want to consider having some areas with normal steady lighting...the constant blinking in all rooms combined with darkness was starting to hurt my eyes after a while.
Try varying some of your shapes (such as hallway cutouts and such) Dont just use basic shapes. Experiment with the 2d shape editor and vertex editing. There are tons of tutorials on both of these out there.

Add some ambient sounds to it. I didnt hear any sounds near the lava or anywhere else. Sounds help complete the illusion, and increase the immersiveness of the level. (Finally got to use that word-immersiveness.....woohooo) Add some lava bubbling sounds near the lava and some electrical type sounds near your blinking lights.

I don't dislike it, and it does have potential. You've got a consistent theme going. I like the room with the sphere and the lights-cool effect going on there. I can tell you have put some time into it. I suggest varying the shapes and textures, working a bit on the lighting (something I can never get just right in my maps), and add some sounds. ;)

DavidM
14th Jan 2002, 02:41 AM
dont try to change the topic to the original one :P

Tiggy
14th Jan 2002, 01:30 PM
http://www.serpwidgets.com/UT/DMBB.html

Legos + Rockets = Extreme Fun

Or something like that...

faderide
14th Jan 2002, 07:23 PM
[quote]dont try to change the topic to the original one :P

[quote/]
Lol

[Rans0m4eveR]
15th Jan 2002, 06:08 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

uhh.. why do i bother? :(

ur supposed 2 be playtesting my map yet u r talking about lego? *sigh*

o well. thx faderide. what blinking lights in the sphere room? the lights only subtly pulse. and the redeemer room... actually i was using a skaarj model from U1 when i was testing that room and for some reason it jumped higher than everyone else so it could reach the redeemer... i need 2 lower it.

have u tried getting the UDamage? :D

[Rans0m4eveR]
15th Jan 2002, 06:39 AM
PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT LEGO!!!! MAKE A NEW THREAD ABOUT IT OR SOMETHING PLEASE!!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!! IEE!!

no, really.

Luggage
15th Jan 2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by [Rans0m4eveR]
PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT LEGO!!!! MAKE A NEW THREAD ABOUT IT OR SOMETHING PLEASE!!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!!! IEE!!

no, really.

He he, why don't YOU go and start another thread? Mwuahahaha!!! j/k

[IMD1]KillRoy
15th Jan 2002, 12:06 PM
hehehe, thats a LOL from me!!:D

RigorMortis
15th Jan 2002, 05:33 PM
:mad: now i change my avatar ransom... :Poop:

faderide
15th Jan 2002, 05:36 PM
Havnt tried to get the udamage yet. I planned on looking at it a little closer, but got caught up in fixing some bugs in my current map.
If your modifying it now Ill wait for the updated version, and give some feedback.

[Rans0m4eveR]
16th Jan 2002, 02:52 AM
rigormortis: now i feel bad. *sigh* :(

RigorMortis
16th Jan 2002, 03:16 AM
lol... im sick of mine anyways... everyone tells me to goback to the easter bunny... but i dont wanna goback to the eater bunny... i'll come up with something... you put whatever you want... i was just giving ya hard time for rippin me thats all. LOL

(kidding again)

[Rans0m4eveR]
16th Jan 2002, 03:24 AM
now you've got me all confused :con:

RigorMortis
16th Jan 2002, 03:26 AM
sorry... i was teasing you thats all... now go download my new map DM-Anticoh Recieving Dock and tell how much it sucks! go.. now

[Rans0m4eveR]
16th Jan 2002, 03:32 AM
already done :D

RigorMortis
16th Jan 2002, 03:35 AM
well?? you didnt post on me ol' thread....

/me waits

[Rans0m4eveR]
16th Jan 2002, 03:40 AM
it's kinda hard 2 test it when im talking 2 u.. :)

[Rans0m4eveR]
19th Jan 2002, 09:02 PM
heres the new version, i added sounds and some other stuff faderide suggested, im sure it needs something else but i cant think of anything :hmm:

oosyxxx
19th Jan 2002, 11:01 PM
Hey d00d! I was just banned by hackr86! Yay!

http://hackr86.virtualave.net/ban_god.jpg

RigorMortis
19th Jan 2002, 11:28 PM
lmao!!

go here and read about lighting:

http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/davidm

just to get the basic idea of lights and stuff... your lighting is killing your map... so is your scale and architecture. (texture usage too)

consider what you like in a map... do you like big open rooms connected by narrow dark hallways? really get into the editor, dont sell yourself short, you obviously have great ideas, now you just need to puit them into action. so far you have not done this.

lets see you put that extra foot forwards and spend TIME on the details... work on your scale first off... big subtraced cubes dont go over well...

@kuma
20th Jan 2002, 10:04 AM
bwhahahahaaaaaaaaa

thats the funniest **** I've seen in the last 5 minutes ooo-say :D

DavidM
20th Jan 2002, 10:51 AM
rigor = jealous

i mean, my first map was worse
i didnt even know how to add lens flares and the ghey lama bot

hackr = ghey
that was the pic
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?postid=1007802

Luggage
20th Jan 2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by oosyxxx / hackr
Hey d00d! I was just banned by hackr86! Yay!
ROFLOAMAOL, to put it in simple words.

faderide
20th Jan 2002, 04:45 PM
Good improvements over last version. The sounds were a nice addition. You could tweak the lighting some.
I noticed it asked me for sgi tech when I loaded your map.
If your not using too many of the sgi tech textures you could include the ones you are using in "MyLevel" Then people could play it who didnt have sgi tech (though most people do I would think)

[Rans0m4eveR]
21st Jan 2002, 03:32 AM
thx for the suggestion faderide, ill probly do that. its kindof hard for me 2 kno which texture packs were installed with the game (so every1 can use them) because before i got into mapping i got a U1 SP mod which gave me all the tex packs from U1 so i dont kno which is which now :hmm:

yes rigormortis i need to fix the lighting up but i doubt i will change too much of the blinking/pulsating lights bcoz that is the kindof thememe i want for the map, although some of the rooms need some changes. DEFINATELY the archinecture needs alot of work, but im trying to get the gameplay and everything right first before i go into the small details.

fallonme
21st Jan 2002, 06:16 AM
Now you can...
AlfaFX
Ancient
ArenaTex
Belt_fx
BluffFX
BossSkins
castle1
chaostex, chaostex2
ChizraEFX
city
commandoskins
Coret_FX
Creative
credits
Crypt
Crypt_FX
Crypt2
CTF
DacomaFem
DacomaSkins
DDayFX
DecayedS
Detail
DMeffects
Egypt
EgyptPan
eol
Faces
FCommandoSkins
Female1Skins, Female2Skins
FireEng
FlareFX
FractalFX
GenEarth
GenFluid
GenFX
GenIn
GenTerra
GenWarp
GothFem
GothSkins
GreatFire
GreatFire2
HubEffects
Indus1, Indus2, …, Indus7
ISVFX
JezzTex
Jezztex2
JWSky
LadderFonts
LadrArrow
LadrStatic
LavaFX
Lian-X
Liquids
Logo
Male1Skins, Male2Skins, Male3Skins
MenuGr
Metalmys
Mine
NaliCast
NaliFX
NivenFX
noxxpack
of1
Old_FX
Palettes
PhraelFx
PlayrShp
Queen
RainFX
Render
RotatingU
Scripted
SGirlSkins
ShaneChurch
ShaneDay
ShaneSky
Skaarj
SkTrooperSkins
SkyBox
SkyCity
Slums
SnowDog
Soldierskins
SpaceFX
Starship
tcowmeshskins
TCrystal
Terranius
tnalimeshskins
TrenchesFX
tskmskins
UT
UT_ArtFX
UTbase1
UTcrypt
UTtech1, UTtech2, UTtech3
UWindowFonts
XbpFX
XFX
Xtortion
xutfx
Yes I'm annoying...

Luggage
21st Jan 2002, 08:59 AM
I'll have to correct you: chaostex* are ChaosUT textures; SnowDog and JezzTex* aren't stock either. And I don't know about of1.

fallonme
21st Jan 2002, 10:53 AM
I guess I forgot to mention that this list is for UTGOTY, and I believe that all the texture packs you mentioned are ChaosUT which came with UTGOTY...

[Rans0m4eveR]
22nd Jan 2002, 08:51 AM
okeydokey ill try to remember that :p

[Rans0m4eveR]
25th Jan 2002, 09:15 PM
im going 2 go thru my map and put in architecture and fancy eye candy stuff everywhere :) hopefully i wont end up overdoing it and have a polycount of 2.6 billion, and i will probably change the lights around a bit, like add more lights and take out some of the blinking/pulsating lights. i'll also change some of the textures, some are used way too much :hmm:

[Rans0m4eveR]
22nd Feb 2002, 09:36 PM
i actually got around to working on my map, its a lot different than before (but probably needs more work)

[Rans0m4eveR]
22nd Feb 2002, 09:44 PM
hi, i finally got around to working on my map, and now its a lot different than before (lots more architecture) but i think it will probly need more work tho. tell me what u think!

[Rans0m4eveR]
22nd Feb 2002, 10:06 PM
oops, if u dont have QueenSong then it wont work, so youll have 2 download that from somewhere (its too big to zip, 1.2 mb) :hmm:

[Rans0m4eveR]
26th Feb 2002, 05:34 AM
arg! noone like me anymore

dam u all 2 hell! nooooooooooo

my brain hurts

that is all

also, download me map or ill break both ur legs.

Chrysaor
26th Feb 2002, 02:24 PM
It's on my desktop I've just not gotten around to playing it, gimme some time.

DavidM
26th Feb 2002, 02:33 PM
wow
how did you make these randomly stuck together cubes look so damn nice? how did you learn that?
same for the very atmospheric use of discolights and the well thought out gameplay
are there any tutorials?

Evil_Cope
26th Feb 2002, 02:41 PM
wow
how did you make these randomly stuck together cubes look so damn nice? how did you learn that?
same for the very atmospheric use of discolights and the well thought out gameplay
are there any tutorials?

constructive critiscism is all well and good, but how exactly is this supposed to help anyone?

anyway. not tried the map, and probably wont. but a helpfull hint. if you cant load a map because of a missing umx, simply copy and rename any other umx to the name of the missing one and the map will load just fine.

DavidM
26th Feb 2002, 02:44 PM
i cant help him for some reason
the map is perfect, HE needs to help ME

Rabid Wolf
26th Feb 2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by mister_cope

constructive critiscism is all well and good, but how exactly is this supposed to help anyone?

anyway. not tried the map, and probably wont. but a helpfull hint. if you cant load a map because of a missing umx, simply copy and rename any other umx to the name of the missing one and the map will load just fine.
and for sake of troubleshooting it will helpü you to know that the missing texture(s) will most likely be replaced with the turquoisy bubbles standard texture, so if you see that somewhere in your map, you know there is where to apply the lever.

Chrysaor
26th Feb 2002, 10:45 PM
You're not hopeless, you map looks better, it just needs more time experience and practice. You've just got to have time devoted to learning what works and what doesn't.

Luggage
27th Feb 2002, 05:45 AM
no it won't: even if the filename matches, the package name inside will remain the same. So if you rename Skyward.umx to blurb.umx, the package inside will still be Skyward. And as UT ought to be looking for Music'blurb.blurb' it will give you a "package missing" error, because your blurb.umx file contains the package "Skyward", that is Music'blurb.Skyward'. See?

RedFox
28th Feb 2002, 03:54 AM
To [Rans0m4eveR] :

Don't you even see that you map has no potention, this 5u>< too hard... you even should not post the screens here ...

But if you really want to 'map', you'll build something interesting later... mb :I

[Rans0m4eveR]
28th Feb 2002, 04:36 AM
uve all confused me

realredfox hates the map-- ive got nothing against that :P but davidM seems 2 like it... i dont kno if its sarcasm or what, now im not sure whether to confine my maps to myself and friends or to keep going...

2 davidm, lol, im not sure how 2 take that comment about randomly stuck together cubes as a compliment or sarcasm :hmm: actually i experimented 4 ages on how 2 make objects (which is why i havent done nything on me map for so long) and eventually came up wif that (that is, if u really want 2 kno.. not sure 'bout u bcoz of the amount of sarcasm involved in that cloudwar discussion... *shiver*) ESPECIALLY the part where u say the map is perfect...

2 realredfox -- i understand that not every1 will like my map, im not saying that everyone should, especially ppl who only like z-axis, bcoz this map has almost none.

2 chryasoar - atleast i kno ur not being sarcastic :P anyhoo, i agree. but honestly im not sure what i should add, bcoz i cant seem 2 find anything to change.. i kno this map is far from perfect, i just dont kno wot to change (help!) :P

that is all

also, im open to suggestions (including, for those with similar opinions to realredfox, to lock my doors and windows and never come out again :P ) on how to improve me map

thx all

DavidM
28th Feb 2002, 11:08 AM
I dont even know what sarcasm is
gotta check my dictionary, hope it has a good explaination

Chrysaor
28th Feb 2002, 11:14 AM
Well, I'm not sure where or how to help you really. Just do another I guess. Leave this one as it is and start another map.

DavidM
28th Feb 2002, 11:18 AM
there was a pic of me under sarcasm...
oh well :P

read my architecture tutorial, maybe that helps...
its no instant help, but it tells you how you can learn it...

RedFox
28th Feb 2002, 05:33 PM
Yep, see a lot of good maps and "rip" their architecture :D
rip'n'improve - that's the way...

Chrysaor
28th Feb 2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by RealRedFox
Yep, see a lot of good maps and "rip" their architecture :D
rip'n'improve - that's the way...

obviously that's your way...

RedFox
28th Feb 2002, 07:27 PM
Ehm, yep, this is almost my way... :-I

Chrysaor
28th Feb 2002, 08:00 PM
I liked IceWind a lot more, it was yours, Vendigo just feels too DavidM-ish.

[Rans0m4eveR]
1st Mar 2002, 02:05 AM
eh, i thought as much :p o well, no matter. i was considering continuing map making, but, as realredfox said, this map sux (atleast compared to any professionals maps) so i cant be bothered getting better. maybe ill continue when ut2 is out, but right now i have more important things to do than this anyway, (writing me book mainly) so until then, cya all, its been... odd :) :( :o :D ;) :p :cool: :rolleyes: :mad:

RedFox
1st Mar 2002, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Chrysaor
I liked IceWind a lot more, it was yours, Vendigo just feels too DavidM-ish.

But they both sux, tho :p

RedFox
1st Mar 2002, 02:50 AM
The only right way is : practice, practice and practice.
Kill your lazy-half and practice!

[Rans0m4eveR]
2nd Mar 2002, 05:43 AM
lol, im too lazy to stop being lazy =P

[Rans0m4eveR]
2nd Mar 2002, 05:46 AM
besides im not being lazy, im writing a book and drawing art and doing school wurk so i dont really have time to do high quality stuff :p

Luggage
2nd Mar 2002, 06:45 AM
Look, it's my first map! :hmm:

DM-Bunker (http://furpile.com/cgi-bin/PreviewUTCMS?Pack=dm%2Dbunker&Name=DM%2DBunker&Suff=unr)

Luggage
2nd Mar 2002, 06:47 AM
...but don't tell anyone! :rolleyes:

Trynant
3rd Mar 2002, 07:14 PM
This map is room-corridor-room..... those maps need facelifts most of the time.

Get rid of the corridors and put some of the rooms at different z's. That way this map would be kinda cool.

Boxes and obstacles and all the things in ur rooms aren't fun if u can't jump on them ;) . Look at something like plat's maps or Ictus. Oh yeah, I hear DavidM does some good stuff too :D

Luggage
3rd Mar 2002, 07:20 PM
Erm, I hope you're not talking to me... that map of mine is about 2 years old

Trynant
3rd Mar 2002, 10:00 PM
I'm talking about the thread map not yours!

beside, ur map SUXOR :p

jk.

Luggage
4th Mar 2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Trynant
jk.

Not.

[Rans0m4eveR]
4th Mar 2002, 05:50 AM
hmm... :hmm: well thats where we have a problem -- the map has the same layout i wanted for it, and its not changing :( and its unlikely im going to give it a facelift.

[Rans0m4eveR]
4th Mar 2002, 05:51 AM
and who said the obstacles had to be fun?

Trynant
4th Mar 2002, 04:04 PM
you want them to be stupid and boring?:confused:
well all I'm saying is the corridors need to go and this map is too damn FLAT