PDA

View Full Version : Bot Users Read!

Pat
30th Dec 2001, 08:23 PM
okay.... someone needs to make a mod that first of all lets you select as many bots to play with as you want, and has a utility like bot editter 2.0, and has a list of 500 or so names that you can make it randemly assign to the bots, they wouldnt have to think up the bot names as they could have others submit names to them. what is your guys openion? am i just an idiot? should i get off my ass and do it? (yes but i wont {too lazy}) or am i a genous? POST!

Pat
2nd Jan 2002, 08:37 PM
wow *bumping* my own thread... im cool.... hehe anyway guys i really need some input on this.... neme? bean? anyone? well ok going to bed now nighty night :)

arcanex
3rd Jan 2002, 02:17 AM
Hey, a random bot name generator would be nice. I think anybody who plays with bots regularly would really appreciate seeing different names for the bots. I don't think that you would need a list of 500 names to choose from initially; something around 150 would be enough, and some sort of automatic name maker that can take syllables out of those names and combine it with other syllables to make a sensible name. Like for example, say you have just two names, "ArcaneX" and "Uberdeath". By swapping the different parts, you can come up with other names like "DeathX", "ArcaneDeath", "UberX", "DeathArc", "UberArcane". OK, the last one doesn't sound right, but you get the idea, and of course, you can always add numbers to the end (or, heck, write in numbers and/or A§CII code characters) for some variations. That, coupled with the ability to easily make a list that can be shared with other peeps, would just be perfect.

Postal
3rd Jan 2002, 10:56 AM
I dont think it would be to hard to make this, someone could just make a mute that randomly assigned names from a list, and supply a list, then people could add the names that want in their lists.

I name my bots after the models their using: Ie

HL Recon CMD
C4 Sniper
TrenchCoat guy
etc and so forth

Pat
3rd Jan 2002, 04:51 PM
well see that woulb be good for some people but i dont have that many skins and i like to play with 32 bots at once so i would end up with Sniper[2] ect. so i opt to just make it a list with good names in it.

Morter
6th Jan 2002, 07:36 PM
Is there any mods out there that LET you play with 32 bots at once?

Shiit
7th Jan 2002, 01:15 PM
Sure, just add 16 more bots after the match started.

A_Rimmerlister
21st Jan 2002, 07:29 AM
Changing the skill-settings & skills for the bots was hard enough (until I wrote my utility), but actually thinking of 32 different names was (and still is) worse. :(

Has anyone even tried to find a random name-generator ?
I've been searching, but so far I've only found one (which generates Tolkienlike fantasy-names ... :rolleyes: ;)), but there's source & an example that could generate aliases which would be suitable for UT.

Realistic names (= John Doe, Jack X, Jill Y, etc. ;)) are even more difficult as you want to create a name that's readable (Fantasy-names just need to sound good).

Pat
21st Jan 2002, 11:36 AM
Im sure someone could easily create a prog with 2 or 3 colemns to put suffexs and prefixs in (SuperDeathDemon, UberCatRaper, KillerBaconMan, LameArcaneAnimal) and then generate them randemly (hey JaFo sounds like a mission! ;) )

A_Rimmerlister
21st Jan 2002, 03:02 PM
Do you want to type in a few hundred prefixes & suffixes for me ? ;)
'cause at the moment that's the only way to generate those names.

Or I simply use all the handles from the forums ... :D ;)

Pat
21st Jan 2002, 04:03 PM
do you think i should rename this tread to SUBMIT NAME PREFIXS AND SUFIXES?

A_Rimmerlister
22nd Jan 2002, 02:42 AM
:lol: ... lets wait until I've got this namegenerator thingy done.
Then I'll ask for you and others to add to the list(s) :)

The Twiggman
7th Feb 2002, 07:13 PM
This is a great idea because i just recently got extreamly sick of seeing the same name of a bot kick my anus all over the place, i would at least not no which one is the all mighty killer of the arena to mix it up a little.

A_Rimmerlister
8th Feb 2002, 03:22 AM
I've got it working as an 'official' part of my bot-editor :)
For 'normal' (= realistic human) names I've got a list that can easily generate a few thousand different names ... (this does increase the downloadsize of the next version quite a bit as the list is +/- 500 kilobytes ;))

I don't know if it is possible to use the same algorithme as a mutator for UT ... (I'll see what I can do after JBE 2.5 is released)

arcanex
8th Feb 2002, 09:15 PM
Hey, how about UNREAListic names? As long as it looks decent, it's all good.

It would have been nice to have the name-generator and the bot editor algorithm implemented in-game, and have it generate them randomly, kinda like XMaps. That way you'd never see the same bot twice in different games.

Mxtrmntr
9th Feb 2002, 06:05 AM
Still, an enhanced bot list would be nice... so that you can have a list of more than 32 bots, like the enhanced map lists in Xmaps, so that ppl with more than 32 models like the guy who started this thread (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103877) can add all their models as bots. I'm not saying with this that it should be possible to play with all them at once, but when UT randomly selects the bots for a match with, for example, 4 bots, it should be able to chose out of more than 32 bots.

A_Rimmerlister
9th Feb 2002, 01:13 PM
The Xbots-mutator allows you to define 5 extra lists of bots ... that should be enough for anyone I think ;)

Review on ModSquad (http://planetunreal.com/modsquad/asp/breviews.asp?396)
(did I happen to mention that JBE v2.5 (alfa-4) allows you to edit those lists too ? ;))
// arcanex
I'm working on getting a decent sized list. The one I've got is a bit too short which results in quite a few names that look a bit like each other if you let the generator build lists of 10+ names ...

At the moment I'm working on an 'edit'-screen for the generators so users can expand & alter the existing lists as well as add their own.