PDA

View Full Version : that blackness under the movers.....

StoneViper
23rd Dec 2001, 12:38 AM
In this here screenie you will notice Total Blackness.
How do i fix this? i have a traincar that goes to the other base. I moved the train and stepped back to take this screenie. When it moves away, it leaves this dark spot of hell behind.

also if you noticed, those pipes aren't lit up either. There is a invis_cullision Hull to make it appear solid. Is that why it is balck┐

Chrysaor
23rd Dec 2001, 01:01 AM
I've started putting small red lites or something under my elevators, but the entire subway car is another matter :B hehe

I'd use BlockAlls instead of ICH's, at least it seems like it might be better :)

StoneViper
23rd Dec 2001, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Chrysaor
I'd use BlockAlls instead of ICH's, at least it seems like it might be better :)

but can you rotate the cullision hull so that the invisible cylinder is sideways┐

RevBillyG
23rd Dec 2001, 05:23 AM
Looks to me like you constructed your mover in situ, turned it into a mover brush then rebuilt the level. The ed thinks the mover is still a normal brush and lights it accordingly. What I do is make a temporary room for building movers then move them into the correct position afterwards.

StoneViper
23rd Dec 2001, 08:55 AM
won't you have to rebuild the level anyway┐ Ill try that though to see if it works, but then ill have a cut-off hidden room that no one will see in the game.

Hourences
23rd Dec 2001, 09:29 AM
lol, mover properties, worldraytracekey = 1 or 2 or whtever you want > result, he wont rebuild lightning according tot the keyframe you see in the pic, so the blackness will be gone

and make the invisble collision hull ofcourse smaller then the pipe, INSIDE the pipe, not around it, or give the pipes a lightvalue, properties, display, and fill in your number for the light there, dunno the name anymore, ambient light of lightscale or something, but best is just to fu ck aroudn a bit with the collision hulls

StoneViper
23rd Dec 2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Hourences
...mover properties, worldraytracekey = 1 or 2...
if i use '2', will the shadow appear at the other base where it stops?

...and make the invisble collision hull ofcourse smaller then the pipe, INSIDE the pipe, not around it...[/B]

yes, ill try that, thanx.

RedEye(Co30)
24th Dec 2001, 12:52 AM
Does your mover go through any areas of dense shadow during its journey? If it did, you could put a keyframe there, worldraytrace at that key, and avoid any out-of-place shadows elsewhere. You'd have to fiddle with your movetime etc to keep a smooth motion but it might be better than having a weird sourceless shadow somewhere.

Hourences
24th Dec 2001, 07:45 AM
jut place the ratracekey on an unexcistin point :) 8 or something, should work i think

StoneViper
26th Dec 2001, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by RedEye(Co30)
Does your mover go through any areas of dense shadow during its journey?...

nope it doesn't

jut place the ratracekey on an unexcistin point :) 8 or something, should work i think

thanks ill try that

aeternus
26th Dec 2001, 07:48 AM

btw is possible to make a mover with a realtime shadow (moving shadow)?

THX

Hourences
26th Dec 2001, 08:12 AM
not possible, too intensive for the current engine

StoneViper
28th Dec 2001, 06:45 PM
do you mean brushraytrace or worldraytrace┐

Hourences
28th Dec 2001, 07:03 PM
world, brush is for the brush :) wont affect anyuthing else then the mover itself

StoneViper
28th Dec 2001, 11:07 PM
because i tried the world one and it didn't work. i made it 2 (there is no 2, only 0 and 1)

Bot_40
29th Dec 2001, 06:18 AM
Set keyframe 2 as being off the map, then set world raytrace to 2.

StoneViper
29th Dec 2001, 07:05 AM
but won't the mover eventually leave the confines of the map? i only want it to travel to these 2 places (0 and 1).

MrFawn
29th Dec 2001, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by aeternus

btw is possible to make a mover with a realtime shadow (moving shadow)?

THX

you can use a dark masked sheet to add shadow

Bot_40
29th Dec 2001, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by StoneViper
but won't the mover eventually leave the confines of the map? i only want it to travel to these 2 places (0 and 1).

No, you can set key 2 off the map, then set World Raytrace to 2, and the mover won't actually go past keyframe 1 as long as properties->NumKeys is set to 2.
The mover only uses the number of keyframes as there are set under NumKeys so if you set key 2 off the map, it will raytrace for that position even though the mover will never go there.

There's a slight possibility that the mover might be black, I'm not sure. If this happens, set Key2 to be in a room seperate from the rest of the map where you still can't see it, and put lights in that room so that the mover get's lit.
I think the mover raytracing is done by the BrushRaytrace field, but just in case...

RigorMortis
29th Dec 2001, 11:49 PM
wow....

StoneViper
30th Dec 2001, 12:19 AM
Bot_40 i said this before and ill say it again.

YOU ARE THE MAN

I've had that problem since the beginning of time, and you saved me!!!

Bot_40
30th Dec 2001, 07:50 AM
s'ok :)

Astyanax
30th Dec 2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by StoneViper

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST SPAMMER EVER

Bot_40
30th Dec 2001, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Astyanax

I AM THE BIGGEST MIS-QUOTER EVER

StoneViper
30th Dec 2001, 10:17 PM
thanks bot_40 for backing me up.

LOL

Luggage
31st Dec 2001, 10:06 AM
Problem solved?

The mover won't be black if you set BrushRaytraceKey to 0, or bDynamicLightMover to true.

Hourences
31st Dec 2001, 10:24 AM
it can still be black if you do that :)

Luggage
31st Dec 2001, 10:32 AM
um, why?

StoneViper
31st Dec 2001, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Luggage
The mover won't be black if you set BrushRaytraceKey to 0, or bDynamicLightMover to true.

my brush raytracekey i = to '0' and it is a bDynamicLightMover = true.

Luggage
31st Dec 2001, 07:07 PM
and still getting a pitch black shadow?

StoneViper
31st Dec 2001, 07:15 PM
THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE ANSWER!!!!!

Originally posted by Bot_40
No, you can set key 2 off the map, then set World Raytrace to 2, and the mover won't actually go past keyframe 1 as long as properties->NumKeys is set to 2.
The mover only uses the number of keyframes as there are set under NumKeys so if you set key 2 off the map, it will raytrace for that position even though the mover will never go there.

There's a slight possibility that the mover might be black, I'm not sure. If this happens, set Key2 to be in a room seperate from the rest of the map where you still can't see it, and put lights in that room so that the mover get's lit.
I think the mover raytracing is done by the BrushRaytrace field, but just in case...

btw, the mover isn't black because BrushRaytrace = 0 (0 being a keyframe that is in a lit up room inside my level)
WorldRaytrace sets up the lighting on the world that the mover affects, thus setting up a keyframe outside the level and making the worldraytrace = that keyframe (not brushraytrace) works.
The engine then won't allow that mover to make shadows (caused by the mover) against the terrain.

It all makes sense now, thankx!

Call me Erdrik
2nd Jan 2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Astyanax

YOU ARE THE BIGGEST SPAMMER EVER

lol :D

ha I think someones jelous ;) lol j\k

Bot_40
2nd Jan 2002, 02:43 PM
No relly, I AM the biggest spammer ever. I'm also the only one that isn't ashamed to admit it :)

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90579

And yes, I am shadowing you Erdrik ;)

Call me Erdrik
2nd Jan 2002, 02:48 PM
ooooo me's sooo scared.. lookie its da big bad Bot!

lol