3Com Internet Gaming Modem owners..do you like it?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FenderTX

Dec 6, 1999
Texas
Visit site
Like so many others, DSL or Cable access is not available where I live. I was thinking of getting the 3Com Internet Gaming Modem...its seems that a few of you people that post here own one.

So my question is do you like it? I read a review of it on firingsquad.com and they seemed to like it okay. But the reviewer didn't see a ping improvement over other hardware driven 56K modems.

Currently though I've got a crappy winmodem that will always lag a bit more and cut into my cpu time since it's software driven. So I'm definitely going to dich the winmodem one way or another. winmodems blow..plain and simple.

So basically did it improve your ping and are you glad you bought it? and it comes with a couple of games right...are they any good?

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
I've got one, and love it!!! I used to have a cheap@ss winmodem and a USR modem (NOT a winmodem) and gaming is improved over both (especially the winmodem). I wrote up a quick review, and posted it, a few weeks ago. Here it is:

Well, I got myself a shiny, brand new 3Com Internet Gaming Modem last week. And, I figure I'll go ahead and write up a quick review. But first, some background:
When I first had a 56k, I played online maybe twice. I got hammered so bad, that it wasn't any fun. A year later, I get cable, and the rest is history. Last month, we bought a new house, and neither cable, nor DSL is available here yet. So, I went out and got a USRobotics modem (NOT a Winmodem). I also ran a rather fat phone line directly from my modem to the junction box outside. I also tweaked the modem setup, using Modem Wizard. After all is said and done, I'm getting a decent connection (downloading most things around 5-6k/sec. Even sustained an 11k/sec ICQ file transfer from someone in Canada). But, still not too fun to play. At times pings are good, but the packet loss is not fun, and the pings aren't consistant at all.

I then read about the new 3Com modem. $120 later, I figure "what the hell." I want to put together another system, so having a second modem wouldn't hurt. Also, it comes with a couple games (Heavy Gear 2 and Civilization) and also an internet offer: Q3 and Soldier of Fortune "Special Edition" (whatever that is...) for $25. I ordered those right away.

I didn't figure the modem would really do much, being as though I have my system optimized pretty well. So, with very low expectation, I made the switch.

This modem has two "modes" which you can switch on the fly (in software.) "Gaming" mode and "Normal" mode. You are supposed to use the normal mode for typical surfing and downloading. Looking through the modem properties, I can see where the switch happens. Under Modem/Properties/Connection/Advanced, there is a box labeled "Modulation type" and that remains "Standard", of course. Under that box there is another one labeled "Extra Settings". In Normal mode, this box is blank. In Gaming mode, this box is filled with "AT&FG". I have no idea what this means or does. Brownie points for anyone who knows, or finds out. In Normal mode, I'm guessing that it isn't any different than my prior USR modem, and confirm it with my first test.

Using Gamespy, I ping three different UT servers in normal mode. They average the same that they did with the previous modem. Then I switch to gaming mode. And all three servers averaged about 20% less ping. Lots of optimism was now there.

Time for the real test. I joined a UT game. I couldn't believe the difference! Gameplay was much much smoother. Ping times were a lot more consistant. I really cannot say enough good things about it.

I highly recommend it.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone will be as satsified as I am, because there are too many variables that determine a good online connection.

By the way, there are about two dozen UT servers that I play on. I generally average around a 150 ping to those. Not too shabby for a poor 56k'er, eh?

As happy as I am with this modem... The very day that broadband is available to me, I will be on that bandwagon!

If you have any questions, feel free to ICQ me.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

Micah

Dec 10, 1999
Visit site
well, at&f, is for software comrtol in win modems, maybe 3com just using at&fg(g being gaming)for software help on the modem. I don't really know just my best guess.

Agent BUM

Dec 20, 1999
Well, if cable or DSL service isn't available in your area or you can't afford a T1 or other fiber optic connection, then the only reasonable choice would be to get the best 56K modem for gaming. And if the 3com internet gaming modem is really optimized for gaming and faster than other 56k modems, then I recommend getting one.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
My experience with the gaming modem is short but it has been quite satisfactory. My connection has improved from 26.4k to 28.8K, and I do get a lot more of the "best" servers pinging in the 200's rather than the low 300's as before. I didn't expect miracles due to my rural line, but it hasn't hurt one bit. If you need a new modem anyway, this is the one to get.
I've tried playing online in both gaming and in normal mode. No big diff, except when I switch to gaming mode, the connection speed drops to 26.4K pretty consistently, but gameplay is pretty well the same.