High Ping Game Balancing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MAXER

Dec 24, 1999
Hatfield, PA. USA
www.realtor.com
Is there anything I can do to even out the
playing field because of my 56K modem high ping connections. It seems that usually the players with the lowest pings are the winners of the match. There should be some kind of balancing for the excellent players
that could win more matches if only their connection was better. I am not putting down the players that have DSL or Cable Modems, I'm just trying to see if it's possible.
I am getting to the point where I don't even feel like playing UT on-line, because I know no matter how good I play,I will probably lose because of my high ping connection.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
There's a couple of things us 56k'ers can do to help level things out online:

1. Don't aim directly for your opponent. Instead, try to anticipate where he's gonna move and shoot there. Of course, some may use different tactics for sniping.

2. Optimize your connection (if you haven't already done so). Go grab EasyMTU (the best connection optimizer I've seen so far) and use the suggested settings.

3. Check out Optimizing Internet Connections which is always being updated and has got loads of info on ways to lower your ping. Also, there's always 56k.com which has got some good stuff too.

4. Get the latest drivers for your modem. I dunno which modem you've got but making sure your drivers are the latest release might help too.

I think there's more but I can't remember any right now. Anyone else got anything to add?

bullet2.gif

As he faced the sun he cast no shadow

[This message has been edited by Zaccix (edited 12-24-1999).]