Escalators

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Does anyone know the best way to implement an escalator (you know, a moving stairway) in unreal/inf? It could be done 'realistically' you by using 20 or so movers for a 8step staircase, but that doesn't seem so hot to create. anyone have any ideas?

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
i guess the best way is to do them like the one in one of spoogers reactor levels or like in dm-conveyor [standard ut map]

keek

mapper
Nov 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.phys.uu.nl
A map in Kingpin had one... it was just a flat surface with a panning texture.
20 movers will prolly be very hard to set up and run like ****.
If you want it to look perfectly I think the best way to do this would be a custom animated mesh, but I dunno if you are into this kind of thing..

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
:hmm:
Would this is be possible?

Make your stairs into a mover.
Set the keyframe 2 to one step above so it looks like it's moving up only one step.
Setup some sort of loop mover so when it reaches keyframe 2 it jumps back to 1 instead of animating back.

Though you'd have to put an extra step at the top so the mover doesn't poke through the floor.

Possible? :hmm:

Fetish

GhettoBlaster
Sep 13, 2001
Seattle, WA
Ciced - that's a genious idea. I don't if it could be pulled off, but I think anyone with a grasp of some of the code could come up with 'reapeat' mover somewhat easily.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I was thinking maybe a panning texture for the escalator. Then maybe a zone above it that would move you along.
Jaymian

Snowshovelboy

looking for MAD_BOMBER
Oct 31, 2000
MN
www.bartkus.net
The thing doing it as one set of stairs that snap back wont work completely because when you are on it you will snap back with the stairs.

You should use that stairs trick, but put an invisible ramp to run on and use zone properties to make people move up it.