Release of ChillyDesertBeta2!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
After a long time of being occupied of other things I have worked a bit on my map again. I have added a lot of more stuff for use as cover; more of ruins and bombcraters. I have also changed the lighting. This may sound a bit computer power demanding but as a matter of fact the map runs ok on my machine that is in the middle performance range.

I still got problem with:
-It still ask for a texture pack I don't really use (Calamaya.utx). Don't know how to get rid of it...
- The bots especially in the B (blue) team doesn't move as the are supposed to, the just don't bother moving, ignoring the pathing and I cant understand why..... Can someone give me some ideas how to make them move? Because of this problem, when playing against bots I recommend you to be in the B-team (blue team)
-My skills in controlling UEd is still basic! The objects in the environments are kindly speaking simplistic. On the other I try to use the small skills I have to the outer limits. Very much I use simple blocks to simulate concrete blocks, I hope the players can live with them because except that I think the map have interesting qualities!

In this my first map I have focused on the gaming experience more than the detail work. I many aspects this map is a test area, a concept map for my mapping concept that I call THE TACTICAL HALF TRANSPARENT MAPPING CONCEPT that I have been talking about before in this forum. You can read more about it at http://www.zirbaction.go.to/. I short it's about creating map environments that are not completely open and not completely protected, instead something in between to keep the tension all the time. The player should have some kind of cover reasonable close at most areas and should not be to safe even inside houses and so on (they should have dangerous windows, explosion holes and so on).

As I see it most player styles can be used in this map. In one sense it's quite open so snipers can get what they want. On the other hand they have hard to get a clean shot on human players who use the environment to cover themselves, so that encourage the player to move forward from cover to cover. As a matter of fact using hand grenades could can be a quite effective tactic in this map, dropping them over walls, behind stones and so on where you assume the enemy to be. Tremendous fun in my opinion!

Test it and if you have any good ideas how to woken up the bots, especially those in the blue team, please tell me!

DOWNLOAD NOW!

Z

Last edited:

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
There's a way you can remove that Calamaya texture, it's very simple actually. Load up the map in UED, open up the texture browser, select the Calamaya pack. Then select the texture itself, and hit the "Q" key. The texture is now gone from the map. Do this with each additional texture that shows up from the Calamaya pack, and you'll rid that pack from your map. Then save map.

Do the above, and all your problems will be solved. ;)

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
Alpha_9: There's a way you can remove that Calamaya texture, it's very simple actually. Load up the map in UED, open up the texture browser, select the Calamaya pack. Then select the texture itself, and hit the "Q" key. The texture is now gone from the map. Do this with each additional texture that shows up from the Calamaya pack, and you'll rid that pack from your map. Then save map.

Do the above, and all your problems will be solved.

Thank's for advice but nothing happens when hitting the "Q" key after selecting the texture... (Can it have something to do with that I emulate Windows and UEd on a Mac?) Then I tried to simply delete the texture but when saving I got some kind of "general protection error"... If you "have the time", feel free to upen up my map in UEd and try it yourself, it would be great if this problem could be solved... I have ofcourse tried the command "Replace Texture" but it doesn't work.

Z

Last edited:

Alpha_9

Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
I run UED on a Mac myself, though it's a hardware emulation (OrangePC PCI card), so it works just like on an actual PC.

I'll go ahead & fix the problem for you then. To help out a fellow Mac user... ;)

What email should I use to send it? Or do you want it ICQ'd?

Alpha_9

Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Fixed!

Ok, I took a look at your map in UED, it turns out the texture reference for Calamaya is not on any polygons (which is why the "Q" command didn't work). After some searching around, I found out what's going on. Turns out what you did was give a number of brushes texture references through their properties settings (display properties to be exact). And the texture you gave them was, sure enough, the Calamaya Wall1 texture. Must have been before you found out how to texture brushes the correct way. ;)

Anyway, turns out you did this to somewhere around 70 brushes!! :eek:

So the way I fixed it was export the map as a text file (.t3d format), and used a text editor's find/replace routine to get rid of the Calamaya references (all 70+ of them). My Windows text editor didn't give me a way to simply delete them all, so what I did was replace the calamaya references with your MyLevel Screenshot, which links the brushes to no other texture packages. Of course, it means you'd better make sure your map file has a screenshot now. ;)

I uploaded the fixed map to some webspace I have, you can download it at:

There's nothing here now

I didn't do a rebuild on it, so you'll still need to do that. But you'll find it no longer loads the Calamaya pack. :)

Last edited:

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
HEY! YOU'R THE MAN! Thaaaaaaaaaaanx dude!!! I will soon update the beta after some other fixes. (I will give it a new name; "beta3" so there will be no version mix up)

Does someone have a clue about the bot problem?

Z

Last edited:

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
BETA 3

Ok.. Beta 3 is out... DL in the top of the thread.
What's done? The not used texture from Calamaya is gone (thanx Alpha_9!) and I have also done some changes on the map itself. Even if you have checked the beta no 1 I recommend you to grab beta no 3 because it feels like a new map in many aspects.

Alpha_9: I have not used the version you worked with since something "strange" seem to happened with it. After rebuilding it the landscape was "a mess", full of gigantic bsb holes! But I read your postings and finally could remove the texture myself. Thanks for the wisdom!

PS: I think the best would be if you could remove your DL so people don't download it by mistake!

Alpha_9

Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Hmm, must be something screwy with the re-import process. :hmm: But I'm glad you were able to fix the problem with your own version. Must have been a pain going through all those brushes though. :eek:

Oh, and the upload on my webspace is deleted. :)

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
Alpha_9: Must have been a pain going through all those brushes though.

As a matter of fact it was no bigger problem. First I started going through one by one, but after about 20 brushes I got the idea to "select all brushes"... I did that and the removed the texture for all brushes in one sweep. And it worked!

Z

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
Hmm... Not much response so far! There are so many tremendous mappers out there, where are you when I need you the most? I planning to finish this soon, perhaps this weekend but before that I must solve the problem with bots (B-team doesn't move). Please give feedback and ideas soon!

Z

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
A mood capturing scene from the map! As you see (if you tested beta1) the lighting in the map now is different, a bit more uniform light field and over all a bit brighter.

Alpha_9

Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
For the bot problem, just try adding more paths to exit their spawn area. Or try modifying the paths you have now. Sometimes that "jostles" them a bit and gets them moving.

If there's a confined/closed area they're starting out in (like in a cave or bunker), INF bots have problems with that at this point, so moving the playerstarts to a more open place would be a good idea.

ZIRB

Inhuman
Feb 24, 2001
Sweden
www.zirbaction.go.to
Thank's again A9!

For the bot problem, just try adding more paths to exit their spawn area. Or try modifying the paths you have now. Sometimes that "jostles" them a bit and gets them moving
I have now tried that but the only thing that happens is that the red team, team A get even more active (the got some nodes to). This means that the A-team are more or less EXPLOSIVLY fast and aggressive, and that make it REALLY fun to be in the blue team. It's pure action. To be in the red team with only bots is not that fun since the B-team still doesn't wanna move at all...

If there's a confined/closed area they're starting out in (like in a cave or bunker), INF bots have problems with that at this point, so moving the playerstarts to a more open place would be a good idea.
As far I can see it it can't be that problem.. Or? For me it feels as quite open areas they start in.. Hmm... What the hell should I do?

Anyway: since the A-team is so movable now the bots find each other any way, but it's always the A-team that find the B-team...

By the way: I will do even one day version of this map. Perhaps screens will come. I will also change name on the map... I will feel a bit odd to call hot deserts scene for DM-INF-ChillyDesert_Day... Or?

Z