PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall fog

GoldenMouse
15th Dec 2001, 06:48 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the creation of fog localized around a specific area, such that the effects is a believable waterfall termination fog effect? The waterfall itself consists of a box added in as "water" through the add special button. (Is there, perhaps, a more realistic way of doing that? Like in DM-ArcaneTemple?)

Bot_40
15th Dec 2001, 07:32 PM
well Arcane Temple uses a sheet I think. This doesn't look very good unless it's embedded in a cliff face becuase from the side you can see that it is infinatly thin :\

As for the fog, you can use volumetric fog (add a light, go onto lighting properties and alter the volume brightness, radius and thickness to get the desired effect. Make sure you select the all the zone infos for the zones that it will be visible from INCLUDING WATERZONES and in the zone info properties select bFogZone - true. ). This will, however slow your map down loads. I would not recommend having more than 180 polys and fog in view at the same time.
The other way is to smoke generator(s) under effects I think. Make sure that they are triggered at the start of the match. This will look nothing like as good as the fog but it's better than nothing. Won't really solw your map down much either.

Varpu
16th Dec 2001, 07:19 AM
The fog zone thing works great but it has one disadvantage; it makes the map slow.
One solution is to use one or more smoke generator. This does not need any changes to zones but it might not look as good as the fog.

Hourences
16th Dec 2001, 07:25 AM
smoke isnt perfect too, people with certain configs dont see smoke, gf cards and s3tc and stuff

GMotha
16th Dec 2001, 09:04 AM
A fog zone slows down, but if you make the zone quite small there's no prob...
So i'd advice not to use large open spaces.

Hourences
16th Dec 2001, 09:31 AM
it still slows down if its small :) but less indeed

GoldenMouse
16th Dec 2001, 11:21 AM
It's in a big room. I'll have to use smokers then. The waterfall has open space on all sides, so it looks sorta fake. :( perhaps if I used the 2d editor to round the edges a bit it would look better. Maybe I should also have a bit of a stepping stone sort of way to bring it down. Less height per fall means less smoke and turbulance.