PDA

View Full Version : EO Maps

MĘST
14th Dec 2001, 07:47 PM
Anyone who has played the Excessive Overkill mod knows how large outdoor maps work best.

I was wondering if anyonewith would be willing to try to make a map made specifically for EO CTF. (I know nothing about mapping otherwise I'd give it a shot)

Also, if anyone has any ideas of custom amps that would work good with this mod please list them.

And to anyone who hasn't tried the mod, I reccommend you download it right away and hop on one of the servers. You will see why large outdoor maps are liked:)

Chrysaor
14th Dec 2001, 08:05 PM
Can i get a link to it?

MĘST
14th Dec 2001, 08:13 PM
of course

heres the direct download link: http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?file=48479

and an imformative site is here:
www.planetunreal.com/utxtreme
(a couple new sites will be up soon)

Chrysaor
14th Dec 2001, 11:15 PM
I love making big out door areas, except for the bsp holes :)

Do you mean terrain or like big open spaces?

And i can't get that link because it requires a login pw from me, which i don't have, ,as i'm not a registered member :(

[CD]Icedude
15th Dec 2001, 03:52 AM
Ok, i got a link for it here, straight from MODSQUAD :D

Chrysaor
15th Dec 2001, 04:36 PM
Could u post that link for me?

[CD]Icedude
15th Dec 2001, 06:27 PM
???
OKay now that aint right, the post appears 2 days after i first post it, without the link!
http://planetunreal.com/modsquad/asp/breviews.asp?77

MĘST
15th Dec 2001, 06:39 PM
For the most part two fort styled maps work the best though there are plenty of exceptions.

IMO some good maps for this mod are Warrior, Esprit, IcyBeach etc. LavaGiant would be good if the bases were the same because it is a lot easier to capture the flag if your on red.

The flag room can't be tight because if you have played the mad yet you'll notice what the bio rifle can do to small rooms. Also, I recommend firing 6 rockets at your feet and observe what happens :) (self-damage is off in this mod)

and thanks for your interest

Astyanax
15th Dec 2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MĘST
The flag room can't be tight because if you have played the mad yet you'll notice what the bio rifle can do to small rooms.

Yeah I used to play a lot at some EO server that had CTF-Conquest in it's cycle. The bases were really impossible to enter because of all the slime, but it never annoyed me. Actually I had lots of fun in filling the small corridors with razor blades to try and make them stop! :lol:

Also good for EO are CTF-Fin (just keep Loque out of this one :)) and CTF-Deck16]I[. Personally I like CTF-EternalCave too, the flakcannon is really powerfull here. :)

Chrysaor
15th Dec 2001, 10:01 PM
Well, I've got a small Assault on the books, and then a humongous CTF, along with 3dsMax for the next few weeks. I'll see what I can do tho :)

Any texture set preferences for the bases?

(I've yet to play it yet, I'll tell you how it goes...)

MĘST
15th Dec 2001, 10:24 PM
I really don't care about what textures you choose. I wouldn't know what to choose anyway. The people that play this mod usually don't care that much about looks because it is really fast paced and if you stop to look at the pretty texture then your dead.

On the servers we often have horrible textures that are very plain. One map, BRIDGE_OVER_ACID_WATER has all grey walls, horrible lighting but it is still on the map list at the ProvingGrounds ladder because it plays well.

I would love to see what you come up with :)

Chrysaor
16th Dec 2001, 12:16 AM
Heck I'll give it a try :)

I did two maps in two days for the KOTH mod, and those where significantly better than that POS that came with the mod :)

Like I said I don't know when I'll get around to it, but we'll see...

Chrysaor
17th Dec 2001, 12:09 AM
Erm, did I miss something? I got an Excessive Time and Excessive mutators...something else, but uh, nothing that did much. What did i do wrong, cuz i saw nothing special...

MĘST
17th Dec 2001, 03:36 PM
its not a mutator ... choose Excesive Overkill CTF from the gametype menu

Chrysaor
17th Dec 2001, 05:20 PM
figures. *smacks forehead

MĘST
7th Jan 2002, 10:16 PM
I was just checking up on this. I don't expect to see anything but I was just wondering how it is going (if you have started) and if you have any questions.

Chrysaor
8th Jan 2002, 12:20 AM
To be honest Maest I don't think I'll do one :(
Don't really have much time and I don't really enjoy the mod...sorry:(

RigorMortis
8th Jan 2002, 12:43 AM
I LOVE EXCESSIVE OVERKILL!!!!!!!!!

i hate CTF tho... so hmmm

i might do one... im working on a map that is starting to turn out like it might be CTF after all... just the layout isnt working for DM... so i might whip that out for you.

MĘST
8th Jan 2002, 05:09 PM
Sorry to hear that Chrysaor but I completely understand...

As for DM...
I am not a big fan of DM (it might be because I'm not that good;)) I think the main problem with EO DM is lack of good maps. All the traditional maps are small and a huge spam fest. Spam is a part of the game of EO but with DM it is untolerable even for most EO CTF players. The majority of players play CTF only htough we have experimented with all the other game types. There are even a few players who are trying to get a 1 vs EO DM and a team DM into ProvingGrounds in addition to the CTf ladder.

I would love to see anything you come up with RigorMortis.

Just a question for Chrysaor: Why exactly do you hate it?

Have you played online? There are some servers that seem to attract people that spam a lot more then others. You might have not played on the right servers. Also... you have tried Rocket and Ripper Jumping right? And the Xloc? In a good CTF map you can have a lot of fun just doing that, trying to attack the flag without even ing using any of the other weapons. If you got killed a lot by InstaRockets it was voted on to remove that option because it makes the mod unbalanced and pretty much everyone gets frusterated by people using them. If you play on good maps with the right people the only downside to the mod is lag (and even I play it with my good ole 56k so that shouldnt be the main problem)

Chrysaor
8th Jan 2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by MĘST
Just a question for Chrysaor: Why exactly do you hate it?

Have you played online? There are some servers that seem to attract people that spam a lot more then others. You might have not played on the right servers. Also... you have tried Rocket and Ripper Jumping right? And the Xloc? In a good CTF map you can have a lot of fun just doing that, trying to attack the flag without even ing using any of the other weapons. If you got killed a lot by InstaRockets it was voted on to remove that option because it makes the mod unbalanced and pretty much everyone gets frusterated by people using them. If you play on good maps with the right people the only downside to the mod is lag (and even I play it with my good ole 56k so that shouldnt be the main problem)

Well the spam is annoying I'll admit, but it's more that I'm tired of UT in general. I helped start a CTF clan a few months ago and we just recently went inactive. For the most part we got our butts kicked (tho we did have lots of fun:)) and it was quite testing trying to recruit, train and all. I think our record was like 1-5 as a CTF, and the times we got beat were usually by a lot :(
I actually used the shock combo on EO cuz it was like a redeemer :) and I used it primarily in regular CTF (Read: I am a shock whore)
I also like the slow down in between flag runs, the fast action is good, but it's a little TOO crazy to do to often.
I guess that sums it up...

MĘST
8th Jan 2002, 10:47 PM
ok ... I understand ... I'm starting to get tired of UT but unfortunately it is one of the most recent games that I can run on my system without any problems. I used to play reg ut but I switched to EO for something new and its faced pace kinda got me hooked.

But before you give up on it i want to make sure you tried that rocket jumping thing. It really is a hard skill to master and makes the game type to exciting. Bots don't do it so you realy have to play online to see how it is done. And almost anyone on the servers will teach you how if you can't seem to master it. Just try to open of CTF Esprit and get on the roof a base. Start running towards the edge heading at a diagonal to one of the sides. Then look at your feet right before the rockets fire. You'll be flying, then immediately load up some more rockets and when you begin to bump into a side wall release those at the wall. You then will be launched towards your base where you can cap the flag.

Another reason it is such a good mod in my opinion is because the maps allow for a lot more "secrets" then reg UT because of the places you can reach. There are gliches in some maps that make perfect hiding spaces and there are places that you can xloc or rocketjump to that add another dimension the game.

yes ... i realize i wa just babeling there but i guess it was for anyone else who wants to give it a try because i completely understand tha you cant make one

so anyone else who hasnt given it a try download it now

if you want you can ask me for the best server's ips but i dont have them right now. the names of some good ones are Hall of Souls, Halls of Valor, a couple that go by Clark Kent's Crib are also popular. In the server browser the ones that have UTX in the name are usually pretty reliable