hmm. what ever happened to the modelers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
yeah , ever since my pc went nuts, and i had to format i havent got 3D Studio again..:( not that u would want to see my crep anyways....
and my skinning aint great either...remember mah barrel? wahaha:D

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
this i wanna see

I'm studying max at the moment and need to know how to animate characters and weapons soon. heres a pic of my first assignment. I start characters after crimbo. Can the texture map from max be imported into unreal with the model or is it done by link software?

combitz

May 1, 2000
U.K
Thanks guys and cheers for the link ciced.

I think i'm getting ahead of myself but the ut conversion for that scene seems quite good anyone wanna help at some point. its really early days but if it turns out that epic would licence the engine it might just go down a storm. I need to find out what is possible in ut first. I can't code and thats a pissa because i've got the ideas so i'm trying to find out how to animate all the weapons and death scenes, you know, like choping heads off and arrows sticking out of characters all that sort of fun stuff first. then comes the hard stuff. anyway theres lots of stuff to be going on with so i'll keep working on it and no doubt i'll be back beg'in for help:D

l8r folks;)

combitz: in order to import skins into UT, you need to wrap your skin onto the model (try to use as few skins as you can, 1 is best). Then you convert the skin to a 256-color .pcx and import that along with your model. And yeah, you may need to learn coding if you want to make anything of your models (that scene looks really cool btw)... Then again, you could just find a mod that suits your tastes and join them. There is pretty high demand for talented modelers at the moment (actually, there is a demand for a talented anything, including but not limited to jumping, carwheel-doing monkies). You'll have to make what that mod needs, but at least you'll have someone else actually coding the stuff and getting the model into the game so you don't have to worry about it.

Eater.

combitz

May 1, 2000
U.K
Eater1: thanks for the advice i'll try that but i'm not to sure about the monkies thing, perhaps I could do a hong-kong-fui styley thing:D

Voodoo_180: If you really want max theres a cheep way of getting it without the warez crap with bugs and viruses. I only study 3 hours a week at college and i'm about 12 weeks into it. heres the cheat way:- enroll on a free college course doesn't matter what course your not going to go anyway but by doing so you get a student number. Go to www.tms-in-education.co.uk and purchase the official version of Max 2.5 educational version for just £188 inc vat and p&p. Bargain!!! The student version has all the features, you just can't sell anything you do for profit. which, if your using it for your own benefit theres no problem and if you do want to sell something just charge enough to pay for the full version and your covered. Yes £188 is alot of money but you get 2 full reference books and 2 tutorial books well over 2000 pages of help not to mention the online help. If you want to model its the best way I found to start. Also you have the piece of mind to be able to shout about what you can do without the fear of discreet chasing you for a £20-000 fine. you can put your name and contact details all over your work and people will take notice and hopefully work will come your way. BTW thats a mean rifle on your page;)

Ohh, and don't worry about the version of max 4.x you'll only get to use the new features it has after about 2 years experience from what i can see. (mainly for film and cartoon work)

I just checked the link and I can't understand why it won't work i'll check it again 2moro sorry.

Last edited:
hmmm not a bad idea combitz. I'm just exploring that site. I happen to be between 5 and 18 anyway, so wouldn't need to do that, if what it says is right. I haven't got Acrobat Reader on my compo at the moment so can't read the full price list thing as 3DSMAX isn't on there at the moment. How much does it cost normally? I think I might just be able to scrounge £200. Anyway I won't say anything more until I've read the .pdf file and considered it, but it's a very good idea. thanks :)