Shortcuts in maps???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Callisto

Adept
Jan 13, 2000
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Which maps are possible to complete much faster by taking major shortcuts? No cheats.

For example, rocket, ASMD or slime jumping or using a barrelto get to a place that normally you would not get to until later in the map. There are many variations but you get the idea.

This is for the single player game. In coop it is too easy to shoot a full load of eightballs at a person to get him from the start of a map to near the end.

This idea came back to me recently when I was playing thru Galthriel Village. When you first get on the roofs there is a place where you can ASMD jump to a nearby roof then jump down right near the end. This takes away about 80-90% of the map but should be considered a fair way to play it. If you were really there it would be the smart way to go to avoid getting killed by all of the Skaarj. But playing the game is supposed to be for fun so killing as many Skaarj as possible is the way I look at it.

There has to be other maps with similar situations for shortcuts.

What are they?

:)

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
Try this site: http://www.unrealism.com/udq/

Unreal Done Quick.

It has many demos doing just what you are describing, unfortunately I don't think many of the demos are compatible with the more recent versions of Unreal/RTNP.

I'm not even sure if you can download them anymore (I've just tried and I get many "No connection" errors), your results may vary.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Hmm, if you just take all the elevators you can get through Sunspire much faster than if you try to explore it all.

And Nyleve's falls can be competed really quick if you you just go straight for the entrance of Rrajigar. You can also bypass many of the rooms in Chizra. You can also bypass the whole dungeon level of Dark Arena by entering the main doors.

theBane

Apr 5, 2001
BEHIND YOU!
um, actually, taking hte dungeon route is FASTER. just goto the wall made of loose bricks, blow it up, go into the dungeons, turn left at the enterance, and go into the 1st door after the next turn. use the elevator in there, and that will 6take u to the arena. kill the titan, and leave. that simple

Callisto

Adept
Jan 13, 2000
Pennsylvania
Visit site
No hurry.

Just after the first 20 times through a map it is interesting to look at it in a different way. I am sure someone has found ways to skip portions of maps that the designers did not think of. In a way, it uses more thought to find the shortcuts than to just follow the same path as everyone else. Some of these ideas HAVE to be used in coop games where no one can get to a switch for whatever reason, like when a bug pops up or someone gets killed on one side of a closed door before hitting the necessary switch.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
I killed the queen in 5 seconds, with no cheats.

Get out fully loaded Dispersion Pistol.

Turn on Energy Amplifier.

Aim.

Shoot.

Boom. She's dead.:)

(only works in unpatched version)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I've always wanted to try quick running, where you weapon jump and take shortcuts through maps, but never managed to do it. I like seeing the detail. :)