PDA

View Full Version : Solid/semi Solid/non solid ???

bobtheking
13th Dec 2001, 01:18 AM
I made a test level, it was a subtracted cube, with three cones in it. A solid, semisolid, and a nonsold. Obviously, i ran right through the non solid, but the solid and the semisolid were the same. What is the difference?

GMotha
13th Dec 2001, 04:52 AM
Use semisolid for windows and grid...
Mostly it's unnessecary, but if you got some nasty bsp cuts sometimes it helps to make a solid to a semisolid.

StoneViper
13th Dec 2001, 09:44 AM
use semisolids only on wall decorations, and things above your head that bots can't reach. bots get stuck a lot when they come in contact with them.

Fordy
13th Dec 2001, 11:41 AM
ummm you guys should read up a bit on semi-solids.

There are various reasons you should use semi-solids...

1) They can help improve performance
2) They arnt part of the maps BSP so therefore your level is far less likely to suffer from Hom errors & suchlike
3) You can use them almost anywhere

Read this:

About Semi Soild Brushes (http://www.unrealism.com/unrealedmax/addspecial.shtml#THE%20SEMI-SOLID%20BRUSH)

Hourences
13th Dec 2001, 11:50 AM
no, if you use them wrong you get much more homs and bsp errors, if you use them right you can get the polycount a bit lower, although there are people that never use semi solids and still make leet maps ....

Fordy
13th Dec 2001, 01:07 PM
yes true, thats why I pointed them to that tut, if used correctly, they can be a huge benefit.

bobtheking
18th Dec 2001, 07:20 PM
ok, by the way, fordy, your web site kicks, where did you find all those utilities?

Fordy
19th Dec 2001, 03:55 AM
Whenever I fine one, I ask permission if possible if I can host them. I find em all over the net, but most are pretty well available from anywhere. I like to keep them safe as I dont want any sites going under & taking valuable utils with them.

My site seriously needs a makeover, hehe just don't have the time :(