How do I make this type of Skybox?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WildWing

Sep 16, 2001
New York City
Visit site
How do I create one of those Sky boxes where the clouds actually move and have the backround image in the back as well? I guess, I'm asking about the whole package, both putting up a backround image plus the moving clouds.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
its very simple.
you make a box, or any shape, doesn't have to be a box, can be a trapezoid or whatever.
You select your textures and set them. (For the moving clouds I'm assuming you want a sky and than clouds) add a sheet with the cloud texture. Select the texture surface in 3d view and hit f5(or right clik and click on properties) under flags tab check either U-pan or v-pan depending on which direction you want to move.
Now add some lighting.
Then open up your actor browser and goto info, and find skyzone info. Add one in the skybox.
Lastly go back to the area of your map that will display the sky. select the surface and open up properties(f5). Go to flags and check fake backdrop. Also check unlit (experiment with this I usally leave it unlit)
Tadaaaa:)
Oh yeah rebuild too:)
Things to try...move around the skyzone info in the skybox. it'll change the horizon line if you move it up or down.
The box can be any size..don't need to make it very big, ,mine are usually 256x256x512 but there is no rule. Size them according to the back drop textures you chose.
By checking the fake backdrop surface as unlit you'll make sure that your nice lighting in the skybox is not altered by the lights in your level. Sometimes tho it looks better when unlit is not checked but that usually means your skybox needs better light:D
http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/dmain.asp has a tutorial that you can consult incase my speeling is too bad or I missed something. I'm sure the regs here will chip in with any infor..or better methods too. G'luck.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
yes, listen to oshadow.

also, be sure to place your "sky" above the actual ceiling in the room or outdoor area. no one likes a face full of flak when they shoot up at the sky. you can also place a cloudzoneinfo to make anything that goes into your sky disappear. don't make your clouds go too fast either; it looks ghey. i usually check both u pan and v pan and set them both to something like .9

another tip: on your actual skybox, you can make the top of it unlit to have it show through the clouds (your sheet) for a cool effect, like in nyleve and harobed. this is also how you would make stars look good. as for the size, oshadow is right, it's not that important (lol). i usually use 1056X1056X512 though, but it kinda depends on the situation.