PDA

View Full Version : testing my new SP map

thechief7
12th Dec 2001, 01:05 AM
Just wonderin if anybody was interested in testing my new SP map, it's about 99% complete
It's the one titled Skull
Here's a little taste of it

TheRealFluffy
14th Dec 2001, 02:28 PM
hm, give us some more pics

thechief7
16th Dec 2001, 10:48 PM
Sorry about taking so long, I was uploading more pics to my site
Here's another pic, there's more at my site

TheRealFluffy
17th Dec 2001, 08:33 AM
yep, good,

but i don't like SP maps (I don't like MONSTERS!!! gimme humans! ;-) ) ... so I'm not going to test it.. :-D

But looks good...

greets

thechief7
17th Dec 2001, 08:24 PM
Really!? It's just the opposite for me
I don't like DM maps that much, probably because of my 400-700 ping I usually get

rmcollins3
23rd Dec 2001, 10:59 AM
sorry, but not impressed so far. you have some brush alignment and texture alignment problems. those black lines on the ground is where your brushes aren't lined up properly. be sure to always use the grid align your brushes. skybox is okay, lighting is okay so far, love the music (of course), lava is nice. i don't necessarily like the ground texture you used, but that's just my opinion.

thechief7
23rd Dec 2001, 12:40 PM
I totally agree with you rmcollins3
The skybox is weak, the lighting is weak, and I need to realign those textures
It seems nobody likes the ground texture I used, but I plan on retexturing it along with the rocky walls
I also don't like the terrain, it's to blocky and unnatural
I'm also redoing the first half of the level which means I will be deleting most of it
Thanks I appreciate the honest feedback

rmcollins3
23rd Dec 2001, 12:51 PM
no problem. i wasn't sure what you used to make the terrain, maybe tesselated cubes? i would use 3dmax or terredit if you don't have 3dmax.

[Rans0m4eveR]
15th Jan 2002, 08:53 AM
yeah, i like sp maps (as long as they're fun and they have a decent story :) ) so i'll test it.

thechief7
15th Jan 2002, 10:12 PM
So what did you think Ransom4ever?
Yah I know the lighting is blah!
I already gave the map a major facelift, deleted the first half, and I'm still in the process of redoing the lighting
So keep in mind that your playing the old version:D

[Rans0m4eveR]
16th Jan 2002, 06:39 AM
looks good. there are some holes u need 2 fix tho, like the one in the water cave thing. there is a big slow down when u get 2 the bridge over the lava lake, and i didn't really get the idea of what ur supposed 2 do after visiting the grave inscription thing, u go to the church, then what? :) finally, do something about those doors, a lot of the time they just go back because they hit the player. other than that, pretty good. some nice detail in there :)

[Rans0m4eveR]
16th Jan 2002, 06:41 AM
btw, exactly what does Return to Na Pali do?

thechief7
16th Jan 2002, 04:07 PM
thanks for the feedback, I'm still in the process of trying to fix things, doors, holes, etc.....
You're suppose to take the jumpboots from the grave and go to the church, from there you jump on top of one of the ceiling beams and hit a switch, I also put that in the readme file
You missed the other half to my level, IMO the cooler half;)
The RTNP link is for the Gala music file, in case you didn't have RTNP then you could just download the music file

[Rans0m4eveR]
17th Jan 2002, 03:40 AM
yeh i did that with the button in the church... the area after is cool (although the underground cavern with the water and planks is really slow :) ) after that part when ur still in the cavern and u go in the hole in the right or something to get the flak cannon, there is a bsp error :hmm: . also you can walk thru a wall at that skull place.. with the dead ppl they should look more dead ;) i mean theres no blood or anything, im pretty sure theres some carcasses with blood on them... finally, u need to make the lighting better, most of it is just plain white light. :) nice map

thechief7
18th Jan 2002, 11:52 AM
Yah I warned you on the lighting (see above post), it's ugly
I'm not sure why there's slowdown in the cave with planks, the poly count is low, I think the water is messing it up
What kind of computer you runnin, I recently upgraded so I won't notice any slowdown
I knew about the bsp hole with the flakcannon, but I didn't know about the wall you could walk through
The level is getting a major facelift, so I should have all the kinks out with the final release
Thanks for testing it though and giving your feedback;)