Someone wanna 'splain this to me? (PS2 people)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Ok, I'm not a racing game fan, but I feel the need to say "wtf" for a second.

G-spot gives GC's Waverace: Bluestorm an 8 in the graphics category, yet gives PS2's Splashdown a 7. I know it's only one spot in the rating scale, but I think Splashdown deserves a 9, based on vids and screenies. Tell me which you think deserves the higher score...

Waverace: Bluestorm
waverace_screen003.jpg

Splashdown:
splashdown_screen005.jpg

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
the second one ...water effect are cool :)

...the first one looks like an old 2d nintendo game ...

DENSRAW

Grammaton Cleric
Dec 21, 2000
Holy shit! Waverace looks soooo good!!! It deserves the higher rating! Quit bitching Balli!

Just kidding. Cancel the plans for execution. :)

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I once posted screenshots of what I thought was the PS2 version of Virtua Fighter 4 on a gaming message board, only to be met with claims that it was far less detailed than the arcade version, the textures were blurrier, and the overall image quality had been substantially reduced. Later, I discovered that the screenshots in question were actually from the arcade version.

The idea that the PS2 is horribly underpowered compared to the competition has been so ingrained in the minds of console gamers that it causes them to see graphical deficiencies where there are none.

By the way, I've been saying Splashdown looks better than Waverace for quite some time now. In fact, the vast majoirty of GameCube games look no better than the PS2, with the exception of Rogue Squadron II and Luigi's Mansion (which is more of a tech demo than an actual game).

-Keiichi

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
I've got to give Waverace props on it's evironmental interaction though. The water reacts to your waverider far more realistically than in Splashdown, so that while Splashdown looks "prettier", Waverace is far more immersive. Perhaps that's why the reviewer felt that Waverace deserved the extra point?

-Keiichi

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Atleast I know I'm not crazy. Thanx guys. :)

Keiichi, even if Waverace is more immersive and realistic, it doesn't mean it should get an extra point in graphics. Those aspects don't have much to do with graphics. IMHO, I think Waverace deserves a 6 or so in graphics as I've seen it running in Target. I've yet to see actual live gameplay of Splashdown, but I have seen the commercial on tv for it a few times, it absolutely kills Waverace.

Heh, I just realized i'm arguing with Keiichi about PS2 and <i>I'm</i> on the PS2's side. :eek:

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
It doesn't help when one screenie is <b>alot</b> more compressed then the other.

WaveRace is far more realistic in the way the water reactes and the weather is also far more realistic and atmospheric.
It's not just about how the water looks but how it plays aswell.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
The water looks cool in Splashdown but the effects of the jet-ski are f<b></b>ucked up on it. I'll go for Waveracer because the interaction seems more realist.

What is the white spray in Splashdown ? Exhaust fumes or foam ? It looks it has been made with Paint for Windows 98...

Sorry but I find it ugly even if the water looks cool (altough too much metallic for me). On one side you have a wonderful water effect and then this foam ? Fumes ? that are plain ugly.
Is the game finished or are they working on that still ?

Edit: another thing, look at the reflection on the water, which one is best ? Splashdown doesn't seem to have it at all...

Last edited:

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
The waverace graphic looks really compressed. I really definetly like the WaveRace look desipte that. The other game's graphics look...D3D ish? I don't know how to explain it ;) Look at the tree for example (the shaft of it). It looks all weird. (To me)

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Why does splashdown look like you're riding in the Exxon Valdez oil spill? The chrome effects are a bit over the top in my opinion.