Twrecks
10th Dec 2001, 11:43 PM
A very basic question

bobtheking
11th Dec 2001, 12:12 AM
i had an idea but didn't know any editors, chose uED

Chrysaor
11th Dec 2001, 10:11 AM
Well, originally it was cuz i had an idea, well actually several ideas, and then it's kinda become routine, and now i wanna learn more about it. I think a job would be really neat, but honestly I don't expect that to ever happen.

lucifix
11th Dec 2001, 11:17 AM

faderide
11th Dec 2001, 07:00 PM
Theres something about it.... starting with black nothingness and ending up with detailed, interactive world that you created solely form your imagination.......

Don't know how to explain it, but I can't stop myself. LOL

lucifix
11th Dec 2001, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by faderide
Theres something about it.... starting with black nothingness and ending up with detailed, interactive world that you created solely form your imagination.......

Don't know how to explain it, but I can't stop myself. LOL hmmm.........playing god maybe?

StoneViper
11th Dec 2001, 09:33 PM
i started with it to play God. Now i do it for money, (but not with ued).

Chrysaor
11th Dec 2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by faderide

Don't know how to explain it, but I can't stop myself. LOL
It's art man! I love it :D

Luv_Studd
12th Dec 2001, 04:33 AM
I map because I can't play games for ****.

Now I can't map for **** or play games for ****.

Luggage
12th Dec 2001, 05:24 PM
I've got no social life, - well I do, but I'm arrogantly ignoring it - but I checked "I like to figure out software without docs". Which is in fact true, but does not apply to my reasons for UEdding.

Lugg

Lruce Bee
12th Dec 2001, 06:48 PM
UnrealEd gives you the power and opportunity to be creative in a way no one ever dreamed of - I guess it's a way of suspending disbeleif - a way of soaking up the hours in a creative way instead of watching the TV - a distraction while you're at work thinking of the next room you can create or actually building the type of evening sky you always saw when you was a kid but didn't think you would see again - you see - with Ued you can do this and more - but If I was to be honest - the suprising element that has come out of all of this for me personally is the NC forums which I now visit on a daily basis - just to check what new maps are being produced - who wants feedback - technical issues - ranting - it never ceases to amaze me

Of course it's always nice to see the regulars on NC - there are some really funny people out there - and when I read some of the replies to posts - I can't help but laugh out loud sometimes and this in some respects is what it's all about

I think Chrysaor nailed it when he said it has become part of a routine - I can't really argue with that because if we're honest with ourselves - that's exactly what it is - a routine - like checking your E-Mail everyday - we all do it - just like mapping - except it does take up more time than I care to admit.............

Lruce

Chrysaor
12th Dec 2001, 07:12 PM
time?

i've spent more than 100 hours on two separate maps that i've yet to release. how crazy is that?

[CD]Icedude
13th Dec 2001, 12:46 PM
Playing god, definetly, oh yeah, Hi! I'm new here :D

Luggage
13th Dec 2001, 12:49 PM
Well then, welcome! :-)

Astyanax
13th Dec 2001, 01:21 PM
"I got this really cool idea..."

That's the reason why I started mapping. Unfortunately, the ideas won't stop coming; I get a new cool idea every week, but I just don't have enough time to work 'em all out to maps. :(

StoneViper
18th Dec 2001, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Twrecks
Why Map?

It's good for the soul, the mind and body.... to react in such ways as to make God jealous

Chrysaor
18th Dec 2001, 02:24 PM
I find the more I map the more I want to continue. I've been working on my latest map for all of 3 days, and it's my best yet. I think if I keep working at level design I may find my way to a job, but at this point I enjoy the creativity. It's just so fricken fun :)

thechief7
23rd Dec 2001, 11:48 AM
Mapping is a drug and I'm addicted
Nuff said

GMotha
23rd Dec 2001, 01:07 PM
My motivation is my Godly status... (not trying to be)

But my heavenly powers expand more than mapping only...

GoldenMouse
26th Dec 2001, 12:41 PM
I map because I love architecture and the sense of a given location. I'm not good enough yet to adequately convey those just yet, but I'm hooked and am getting better with each successive map (released or no).

RigorMortis
30th Dec 2001, 11:01 PM
numbing the ass in front a tube of light that flickers umpteen times a nanosecond, ignoring hunger and thirst, sore fingers and eyeball headaches must, and i mean MUST produce something other than "RigorMortis wins the match" (hahaha... ive never seen that!)

mapping, even lame maps like mine, give one a sence of accoplishment i think. its actually having something to show for those hours and housr of anguish and self-neglect.

maybe.

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
31st Dec 2001, 12:08 AM
hmm, for me, mapping is more of an addiction, i want to stop but every time i try i end up in front of a glowing screen looking at bsp errors.:redeemer:

lucifix
31st Dec 2001, 09:18 AM
im sticking with nolife/self abuse.........

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
31st Dec 2001, 09:33 AM
well that too, but you kow:P

TheRealFluffy
31st Dec 2001, 06:42 PM
Pff I don't know why I map, I just SUCK ARSE!!! (BLAH, now THAT'S suckin' :D )

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
31st Dec 2001, 07:15 PM
uh ooooooh kay:rolleyes: why do we do anything, mapping is just another way of passing the time before it is all over.

[Rans0m4eveR]
31st Dec 2001, 10:06 PM
definately playing god.. and theres nothing more satisfying than watching something you created out of your own imagination become known around the world (either for how good or shockingly bad :D )

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
1st Jan 2002, 02:01 AM
that is definitely a good feeling. i especially find pleasure in the knowledge that many will die on battle fields that i design. that and a few other things.

[IMD1]KillRoy
1st Jan 2002, 08:45 AM
Its fun to see that ppl like your stuff. It extremely fun to see a map of yours rotate on a public server!!! (wich has not happened yet, thats why I try a new map, and another, and another and so on....):D

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
2nd Jan 2002, 06:09 PM
hmm i have yet to release a map, i just don't seem to ever finish one. i get started on one, then i end up startign another shortly after.

Luggage
2nd Jan 2002, 06:23 PM
sounds familiar...

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
2nd Jan 2002, 06:29 PM
uhh ok? I just really don't like making deathmatch arenas, i mostly just mess around with the editor and see if i can make something look nice.

Bot_40
2nd Jan 2002, 07:35 PM
Origionally (like most ppl I guess) I just found the editor so cool to play with. Playing UT (or Unreal for you older mappers ;)) was great, but building the levels that you actually play in just seemed unreal.

But now, I like creating something bigger and better than I did the last time. To try and improve with every map I make. Then every now and again, I just look back and laugh at maps I was making 3-4 months ago that seemed so good at the time but just look pathetic now.
I also like to spend too much time in the advanced level editing forums helping other out. It's like giving something back to the community that tought me UnrealEd. I've always been better at the technical aspect of map editing than the actuall designing itself. Triggers and such.
/mental note, must get round to trying some sp mapping :)

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
2nd Jan 2002, 07:53 PM
the editor is very fun to play with, especally making rooms special brushes

RedFox
3rd Jan 2002, 02:15 AM
...want to be God!!!! :B

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
3rd Jan 2002, 02:21 AM
Yes giving and taking life, making mountains and junk, and my favorite throw a nali into the water and watch him drown. that or purposely make a bsp error and place a player start around it.

fallonme
24th Jan 2002, 07:08 AM
For the simple fact that in order to destroy something it must be created and in order to create something, something else must be destroyed...

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
24th Jan 2002, 08:09 AM
Eh something, like that.

Evil_Cope
24th Jan 2002, 09:27 PM
im with the botman.

only i suck at technical side and am better at the arty farty bits.

:)

Bot_40
25th Jan 2002, 11:30 AM
I actually think I'b better at technical stuff really, scripted events and such. Still. I'm improving :)

Seco_In_The_Bushes
26th Jan 2002, 12:49 PM
The best is combining the blisses of custom maps and custom scripts. Talk about playing god.

I have made many a level soley for the purpose of using my cruel ideas for torturing bots.

SpazTheProphet
30th Jan 2002, 10:36 PM
I just want to make something beautiful in my time and this seems a good start. I'm 15 and have already made around 29 unfinished maps, each with something i love. 1 certain area that I sit in awe staring at in different views about how i made it. I prefer to map to amaze myself and just enjoy the idea of filling emptiness with something.

But, above all, I just wanna make something that when everyone sees it, they recognize talent. Something that when you enter the level and start to walk around you stop at parts, just to look at what was made. Everytime I start a map like this, I barely work for 2 weeks and finish 1 room. Then I get bored and need a new theme and map. I guess a mapper's dread is the creativity that keeps him mapping.

So I had nothing to check cause all I want to do is make something really really impressive. Not to be god, or prove myself better then someone, but just to make some inkling of beauty.

Oh, and lastly I want to try to make a map so brilliant it helps to revitalize the UT mapping community. Cause lately we have kind of hit a bust in the mapping area, very few outstanding maps have come our way and I'm waiting for the UT Nirvana to come along and change the face of mapping. Maybe it can be me :D

Snarf
31st Jan 2002, 04:01 AM
Err, I AM god.

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
31st Jan 2002, 04:21 AM
My hand not only moves the mountains they make the mountains... I give and take life, for it is mine to give; my hand carves the land and makes the trees. There will be no light if I do not add light, and will be no water if I do not desire to add it... And with my will alone I can make heavenly music play across the land, for all to hear... Without those like my self the gaming world would be non-existent.

Chrysaor
31st Jan 2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
My hand not only moves the mountains they make the mountains... I give and take life, for it is mine to give; my hand carves the land and makes the trees. There will be no light if I do not add light, and will be no water if I do not desire to add it... And with my will alone I can make heavenly music play across the land, for all to hear... Without those like my self the gaming world would be non-existent.

heheh, coool.

Evil_Cope
2nd Feb 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR

can you say, POWER-TRIP? ;)

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
2nd Feb 2002, 03:48 PM
POWER-TRIP ;).

Flatliner
3rd Feb 2002, 09:26 PM
Oh, buggy software is great.

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
3rd Feb 2002, 10:43 PM
True, what would i do with out my daily dose of crashes and errors......?

The Twiggman
13th Feb 2002, 07:38 PM
I just sit on my butox thinking and then boom, an idea which is projected as a project in level mapping.

-Penfold-
14th Feb 2002, 06:53 PM
Why map?

Stephen Spielburg needed to figure out some camera moves and angles for a movie.

No really. That's why ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) did it.
http://www.filmandvideomagazine.com/2001/07_jul/features/A.I/unrealcity1.htm
fifth paragraph...

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
14th Feb 2002, 09:51 PM
hmm, i wonder if there are any support groups for mapping, something like an AA meeting...........

Twrecks
15th Feb 2002, 08:43 PM
Just this BBS and maybe mIRC #NaliCity.

SPIN_SPIN_SUGAR
15th Feb 2002, 10:11 PM
hehe, yeah the withdrawal symptoms are rough. nice avatar.

GoldenMouse
18th Feb 2002, 08:55 PM
It hurts when I don't have an active project in UEd.

Twrecks
16th Jun 2003, 11:03 PM
bump

Bot_40
17th Jun 2003, 05:39 AM
Dunno, mainly atm, I listen to some music and want to make a map with a certain atmosphere. So I just do that, I don't care about making decent gameplay atm :hmm:

RedFox
17th Jun 2003, 11:22 AM
I'm dreamin about to create a triggerable BSP hole....

Hourences
17th Jun 2003, 12:12 PM
make a surface of a wall invisble, place amover cube over it, and trigger the cube away, and youll see a bsp hole :P
should work :)

i wanna do so many maps atm but im so unconcentrated these days, fun :)

darth_weasel
17th Jun 2003, 07:10 PM
seeing your name in the map selection menu :D

having others play your creation. it's pretty satisfying

Twrecks
18th Jun 2003, 03:12 AM
I'm hoping the MSUC gives mappers a kick in the pants.
I'm furiously learning 3dsMax to transform my bundle of meshes into a decent level for entering phase 1.
The meshes are all there, just hafta step back to Max and UV map em and create a light map for the level is all... then possibly pretty it up and like path it.
*sheesh*
It all seems harder now if you don't start with some basic BSP archicture, only because I didn't.
I figure this is the best way to become a better reviewer, be a mapper!

RedFox
19th Jun 2003, 10:46 AM
Thx, Hour. I'll try it :)

The Twiggman
21st Jun 2003, 11:05 PM
Well I'm mapping now for my own enjoyment, it all seems to depend on my mood, what I wanna see and try. If I got an idea I'll try it. But ya my skills went down the drain from ued2 to 3. lol, but whatever I'll fix that. I always wanted to create my own killing devices. Anyways, better get crackin.

LoserMan
24th Jun 2003, 05:03 PM
I was mapping... then somebody gave me a copy of Black & White... oh well, back to sacrificing villagers.

GringoLoco
24th Jun 2003, 09:10 PM
cause' it's fun. and what Lruce Bee said.

eastgate2
4th Aug 2003, 06:15 PM
maybe we're filling the emptiness inside ours when we're filling the empty blue-grid

Twrecks
5th Aug 2003, 10:27 PM
The grid is solid, you must subtract before you can add.

Bot_40
6th Aug 2003, 07:38 AM
lol, nice one T :tup:

eastgate2
6th Aug 2003, 11:13 AM
Exactly:)

That's what I like about Ued...you have to "deduct" something in order to build something....kinda' reverse engineering to the mankind's system...

That's why I can never understand "adding" static meshes to make levels...

That's also why before big-bang, God must have maded a moving-subtracted brush which we call universe today...ever expanding...

Mapper-X
8th Aug 2003, 09:44 PM
Why Not?

Sinnical
16th Aug 2003, 07:53 PM
i voted for the cool idea one.

i was really looking for the option "i don't f**king know but i just cant stop makin' stuff"

bobnine
9th Aug 2004, 05:33 AM
I once had a rely cool idea,opened unrealED, looked at all the buttons,couldnt figure how to move the 3d veiw, and closed it.

Then one day, about a year later, while on the internet i found a tutorial for it.
Now i cant stop because i find it so fun.But the most fun thing Ive played around with is portals in unrealED 2.I was so anoyed(and still am)when they took them away in unrealED 3.No more endless pits of doom :(

Phenix
10th Aug 2004, 04:20 PM
I just got boared and wanted to do something creative (although ive not even got a decent map made or even out yet)

Twrecks
10th Aug 2004, 06:38 PM
I'm adic..adicted to Ued...

sandorski
17th Aug 2004, 06:18 AM

My Cable Internet sucks too much to actually Play online. So I Map instead.

Reciprocity
17th Aug 2004, 08:48 PM
I have a dream. And that dream is Unreal Tournament 2007 with my name in the credits :).

ZetaMillenium
18th Aug 2004, 11:43 PM
yes .. i map for the comunoty and myself .. and i like to have good coment on hard work

Mozi
21st Aug 2004, 01:23 AM
why map?

nothing better to do....

sure time is taken from sitting hours upon hours on the PC but the end result from a days work of mappage is well worth it...

HidingCriminal
26th Aug 2004, 06:15 AM
Other than what everyone else has said,

god knows I suck at it, but it's....addictive...I still have a desktop icon..

because I just know one day....at some moment in time....i WILL click that icon...again..

KingMango
26th Sep 2004, 04:16 PM
Same as Andy. Got an idea I wanted to try, then as I was working on it I learned more and more which let me try more ideas etc... It's a catch 22. Also I would like to eventually do it for a living, But only for Epic and only ONS and AS maps. lol

XepptizZ
26th Sep 2004, 04:42 PM
I start maps like it's nothin, but finishing is the hardest thing to do yet that's what pushes me further. And I like to show off my stuff to my frends who map like noobs, hehe

It took god 7 days to finish the world and even with all this technology and software he still beats me!!!

Kantham
28th Sep 2004, 02:42 AM
mapper have inspiration

No inspiration cause Cubics maps

and cubic maps sucks

ReD_Fist
28th Sep 2004, 10:09 AM
Well whats the shape of the majority of rooms people see and exist in?
I don't like outside maps all that much,lets see you make somthing that isn't outside.
You still posting zeros too,you just can't help it can you .)H(

Kantham
28th Sep 2004, 04:35 PM
im posting 0 for map who don't need to be there

a lot of pll may like them but this is ther choise
u like Sniper ass map? i respect it , but don't ask me if i want to join ur server!

KingMango
28th Sep 2004, 04:43 PM
:con:

ReD_Fist
28th Sep 2004, 04:46 PM
im posting 0 for map who don't need to be there

a lot of pll may like them but this is ther choise
u like Sniper ass map? i respect it , but don't ask me if i want to join ur server!

No I don't like sniper maps very much,but still ,lets say it has been done good,or crappy,you should judge it on the map,or don't judge it bad just because you don't like those big ass things.
I actualy hate those maps,because if you took out the teleportes it becomes useless.

Kantham
28th Sep 2004, 04:47 PM
:con:

WHAT!

EDIT: ho , i see

on nalicity i have seen ur previous work ,,

CONGRADULATION , you won the UPC ! (unrealplayground contest)

whit ONS-Coldfusion][

Kantham
28th Sep 2004, 04:52 PM
No I don't like sniper maps very much,but still ,lets say it has been done good,or crappy,you should judge it on the map,or don't judge it bad just because you don't like those big ass things.
I actualy hate those maps,because if you took out the teleportes it becomes useless.

Great , i only play in Equilibrateds maps

somme ppl need to refert to ORIGINALS MAPS! that comming whit the game , or , Read tuts!

hey , did you ever seen a tutorial for Kitchen - room- bathroom map? :zzz:

actually i don't , they are bad so tuts are not needed for these

Monday..
28th Apr 2005, 04:55 AM
Stops me taking pot-shots at the neighbours..

Kantham
28th Apr 2005, 05:13 AM
kite a bump you got over there.

KingMango
28th Apr 2005, 08:05 AM
WHAT!

EDIT: ho , i see

on nalicity i have seen ur previous work ,,

CONGRADULATION , you won the UPC ! (unrealplayground contest)

whit ONS-Coldfusion][
boy. I'm a bit late on this. Thank you Kantham.
I map because UED is my anti-drug. I'm anal-compulsive and I have a very pronounced masochistic tendency.
I never finish anything anymore. I always wind up learning so much with each map that I want to constantly start over (I typically start the same map from scratch at least twenty times) and then I eventually get stuck trying to do something impossible with the current engine.... :mad:
(ok prolly not impossible, just beyond my skillz.... but I like to blame the technology. ;))

fragnbrag
28th Apr 2005, 02:01 PM
...anti-drug. ...

phew, ...i ...am ...not... alone ... . .. .... . ... . . :eek:

i think mapping contests with a strict focus and limitations are good ideas for a lot of peeps - it's worked for u mango, your published product has usually been the result of a competative push - given a short-term goal and constraints, u seem to do pretty well - and cleaning up things afterwards is always easier (ala "][" etc - perhaps it's time for another comp-o, eh?
:D

#4 - i have a social life, but the abuse bit fits, that must be it ...

MafiaKid
29th Apr 2005, 02:37 AM
Mappin is fun,you lose g/f's/weight/ability to leave the house,wonder and social skills(what r they?)

lol good Q

Defeat
3rd May 2005, 10:07 PM
One day my friend and I were playing Face and we had volitile ammo on. I kept shooting the rockets above the opening when he went in his tower and it killed him most of the time. I wanted to put more rockets up their and tried to figure out the editor but couldn't and my freind said you couldn't add more things to maps. Later (ok, about 2 1/2 yrs later) I thought I would make another pass at learning the editor because I had already mapped for some strategy games. I looked at tutorials all over the internet and alot of other stuff and started making stuff. This was also because I wanted to get more people at the LAN parties I go to to play UT some instead of Quake III: Arena. What keeps me mapping is that 1.Houences and CliffyB have inspired me and 2.I'm addicted to mapping and am learnig new things every day about it. I'm currently making 2 maps at the same time and redoing my first major n00b map.

KALABASS
15th May 2005, 03:10 PM
I started mapping because i'm very interessted in graphics and games and i like the game's UT99'/2004' a lot

CyberSirius
15th May 2005, 03:14 PM
I like creating stuff :)