The Worst Part of INF

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by yurch
I dunno about you, but I usually swing that knife.

Me too BUT!! I swung, he moved, i quick whipped around to find him and my knife got COUGHT ON HIS HEAD.. *CLINK*

then he fired his robar...

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Similar things happen to me regularly, on and offline.

Norwich: See guy behind crate. Sneak up. Jump him in the most beautifully executed murderous stabbing you will ever see in a computer game. Stab right through him and take long enough trying to disentangle myself for him to disentangle my brains from my skull into the water with his MP5.

Atoll: Swim to blue spawn to find two guys camped and prone. I step right on top of the nearest one without him noticing, crouch and stab. Nothing happens. I take long enough stepping backwards and fine-tuning my position for the knife's hit area to make contact that his partner has enough time to see me. Fortunately, my well-meaning but badly informed teammate snipes me from across the map before I could suffer the humiliation of the failed assassination attempt.

Appallacian-Wonderland: I step on top of a proned bot in a nearly identical situation to the above, minus teammate for either of us. I stab. Nothing happens. Bot turns around and shoots me while I stand helplessly on his head.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
yeah! make the knife like the sword in "die by the sword'
i just loved the system, the keyboard for movement, the mouse for ur right hands its movement, bring it right top then slice it down left and ur foe is dead..... the same thing with knife maybe? :)

neh, but i do agree the knife shouldnt have any collision

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
my worst moment was when I waited under a dead body for about 5 minutes, trying to catch a sniper.
I finally made the shot (acoged sig) but nothign happened.
tried twice more befor he plugged me with a robar.

ditto on the knife collision thing.
if your standing next to them long enough to swing a knife, they should be dead.

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
I'v practised a knife-only loadout, while the rest of the server was playing normally, and the ease with with you can miss someone with the knife is amazing!!!

even with the whole screen filled up with enemy camo colors i'v missed somehow... we almost need to make the knife a "burst" weapon with a horizontal "recoil" cause, many of the knife sitiuations can only go to the knifer...

I mean, how tough can it be to actually slice a guys throat, when your so close that your could read his gun manual over his shoulder. Its almost more effective to stand behind him and wait for his team mate to kill him.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Me too BUT!! I swung, he moved, i quick whipped around to find him and my knife got COUGHT ON HIS HEAD.. *CLINK*

That actually happens a lot in real life knife fights too. Infact getting in so close that the other guy can't get in a decent swing is a fairly obvious and common tactic.

I mean, how tough can it be to actually slice a guys throat, when your so close that your could read his gun manual over his shoulder. Its almost more effective to stand behind him and wait for his team mate to kill him.

Most people tend not to standstill and look skyward when faced with a hand to hand combat situation. :)

Aequi

ballistically challenged
Apr 23, 2001
Denmark, duh
Visit site
Originally posted by poaw
Most people tend not to standstill and look skyward when faced with a hand to hand combat situation. :)

Well most people i kill with the knife, is useally not in a hand to hand combat sitiuation and don't even know i'm there. It amaze me to no end how it can miss sometimes and we are talking about sitiuations where i could pickpocket the guy without him noticing, but instead i get killed when the sound of the knife gives me away...

Funny how the knife sound can make people look around.

On the other hand, i HAVE had alot of success at times with knife only, it just easier to pop two rounds from my DE into him instead and the hit/miss ratio is lower.

Maybe we need "iron sights" on the knife :p

Teufel Eldritch

The Devil's Own
Jul 17, 2001
Edmonds(Seattle), WA., USA
Visit site
Originally posted by FiringAimlessly
Similar things happen to me regularly, on and offline.

Norwich: See guy behind crate. Sneak up. Jump him in the most beautifully executed murderous stabbing you will ever see in a computer game. Stab right through him and take long enough trying to disentangle myself for him to disentangle my brains from my skull into the water with his MP5.

Atoll: Swim to blue spawn to find two guys camped and prone. I step right on top of the nearest one without him noticing, crouch and stab. Nothing happens. I take long enough stepping backwards and fine-tuning my position for the knife's hit area to make contact that his partner has enough time to see me. Fortunately, my well-meaning but badly informed teammate snipes me from across the map before I could suffer the humiliation of the failed assassination attempt.

Appallacian-Wonderland: I step on top of a proned bot in a nearly identical situation to the above, minus teammate for either of us. I stab. Nothing happens. Bot turns around and shoots me while I stand helplessly on his head.

Sorry to be a quote whore but....
What you describes happens in many games that have the prone command. The explanation I have always been given(dont know if its true or not) is that the hitboxes get borked.

Games I have expeirenced this in...
Inf
SF
FLF
DoD
FA

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Yeah, I've noticed the problem a LOT in DoD... lie still, don't move and you're safe even when everyone can see you, see someone prone and you'd better hope you can get in at least 3 shots before you can hope to hit him... but in INF I have little problem shooting proned opponents, I just can't seem to cause any damage when I've pinned someone to the floor and trying to stab the back of his head... :hmm:

Rostam... if INF could get ported to an updated version of the VSIM engine it might well solve over 90% of our current problems. :D