PDA

View Full Version : brush > mesh converter

dead clown
9th Dec 2001, 05:51 PM
anyone tried this (http://www.planetunreal.com/screen/meshmaker/) yet? i'm re-installing UT at the moment to try it out, looks like a great tool for people too poor/stupid to use Max.

like me for example :)

dead clown
9th Dec 2001, 09:53 PM
i played with it for a few minutes and made a few things, the first is a simple box and the second is a much larger terrain mesh made in terraedit. the only problem i can see so far is that the textures of the mesh are much darker than those of the brushes, but to be fair it's probably something i'm doing wrong.

this is a very cool utility, imagine for example the frame rate boost if the fancy terrain skybox in DM-Aberrance had been a simple mesh rather than a complex terrain brush or it could be used to pad out simple low poly terrain brushes with trees.

dead clown
9th Dec 2001, 09:56 PM
563 poly terrain mesh...

dead clown
9th Dec 2001, 10:06 PM
lighting....

@kuma
10th Dec 2001, 07:39 AM
hopefully he's going to use the framework of that program to streamline the mesh importing process so you can just bring 3ds's directly into the editor. That would be nice :)

the problem here being that UT has horrificly bad mesh lighting

Hourences
10th Dec 2001, 11:21 AM
and a horrible collision system

dead clown
10th Dec 2001, 05:24 PM
hopefully he's going to use the framework of that program to streamline the mesh importing process so you can just bring 3ds's directly into the editor. That would be nice

er... yeah right. that.

O_O

@kuma
10th Dec 2001, 08:28 PM
revel in your ignorance, dont be ashamed of it - this is the internet after all.

mmm

The thing is, why would anyone want to make a 'mesh' in unrealed? I can't think of a worse modelling/texturing tool. Meshes without a skin are a terrible idea and it's not like it can support multiple tiling textures :)

TheRealFluffy
11th Dec 2001, 10:16 AM
I think it's very usefull... But, making a terrain with meshes??? Can't be done, collision of meshes is just a upright cilinder...

dead clown
11th Dec 2001, 11:02 AM
revel in your ignorance, dont be ashamed of it - this is the internet after all.

/me dribbles into his kidney mush.

the point like i said is that it's to make decoration brushes for people who don't have more sophisticated modelling programs, lighting fixtures and the like. the terrain was really just to see for myself how large/complex a brush could be made into a mesh using the program.

Astyanax
11th Dec 2001, 12:36 PM
What about the opposite; converting a mesh into a brush? Would that be possible too?

This would be great when you're trying to add giant non-moving pawns as statues to your map. Turning those meshes into brushes would make it possible to, for example, walk between the legs of a giant titan statue, but not through his legs. And also it would be possible to subtract from it.

Can this in any way be done?