Weapon "Weight"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I had it pointed out to me the other day that your guy in Inf seems to choose to keep the weapon pointed in the air after recoil carries it up. It occurs to me that the gun'd probably be heavy and it's own weight would carry it back down to a certain extent?

Also, so far as "handiness" of weapons goes, what about applying mass to swinging the weapons around (so that they took time to get moving and to stop) in relation to both their weight and the sort of grip you have on them?

Just idle musings, so feel free to give em a good kicking.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
IRL where a rifle barrel settles after a shot has been fired is where you actually shot. I've pointed out in other threads before how IRL to get a good shot you make the rifle naturally point at the target, with no undue force applied. If your forcing the rifle onto a target, after the shot is fired the rifle will no longer point where you were aiming, but at where the round would have gone if you'd been shooting correctly. You actual round fired will be somewhere between where you aimed and where the rifle now points, and depending on how practiced and controlled you are depends on how near it is to your aim point as apposed to the natural aim point of the rifle.

INF can't really decide on how your body is lying and whether your forcing your point of aim or not, so the telling where you shot bit is out, but it would be nice if the rifle returned to near the aim point by its self. I know people are going to argue that thats the skill in INF, controlling the barrel climb and recoil by compensating with mouse movements, but thats not what happens IRL. We are supposed to be professional soldiers, not some bloke of the street, shooting his first M16. Controlling barrel climb and recoil is pretty much second nature by the time you've completed basic training, and the present system lets people who have developed the skill and knack to hold an AK on full auto on target for a whole drum. IRL that isn't going to happen, as you tense to control the muzzle climb, you aim is moved. As you try to compensate for that the barrel starts to climb again. Thats why the British and Austrailians used a version of the FN-FAL that didn't have an Auto setting, because its not controllerable, and why 3 round bursts are alot more accurate than spray and pray.

I've prattled enough, so I'll shut up now ;)

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
theres a fuzzy gray line between reality and the limitations of the computer interface.

The aim of the gun is a skill you the player must be held responsable for. by removing bot recoil compensation, they make sure that any movement of the rifle is movement the player intended. including any motions to put it back in target after shooting.

the gun will recoil, thats a given.
but your response to the recoil should not be automated or compensated by a machine. your response must come from your own hands, just like with the real thing.

we could un-simulate things so that the bot does all the recoil adjustments and aiming details, then put a little x crosshairs so all you do is point and shoot.
but a few folks around here have spent alotta time to move away from that kind of gameplay.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Also, so far as "handiness" of weapons goes, what about applying mass to swinging the weapons around (so that they took time to get moving and to stop) in relation to both their weight and the sort of grip you have on them?

is planned

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
*looks over rest of asmodeus' posts to NVS.

Nothing on TV, huh?

Sundays suck like that. Wonder if AFA2 is full.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Why snap Razz's head off? I said some people wouldn't agree with me. Its a free world and all he said was he didn't agree.

No big surprise, no hassle, no worry.

Don't start arguments for no good reason. These boards are a harsh enough environment with out arguing for no good cause.

Originally posted by Tiffy
Why snap Razz's head off? I said some people wouldn't agree with me. Its a free world and all he said was he didn't agree.

Don't start arguments for no good reason. These boards are a harsh enough environment with out arguing for no good cause.

What? We're supposed to be mature adults? Whatever gave you that crazy idea, Tiffy? :D

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Tiffy

That's why I didn't... :D

Not about him disagreeing with me, just the last bit.

But anyways...