UT / Win XP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

sfxwe

Jun 14, 2001
clansfx.com
I finally found you guys, You all moved on me, lol....anyways

I did a search in the forum, I didn't see anything, I hope I didn't miss a prior post covering this Topic, if I did please be gentle on me, lol....

Windows XP and UT = Not Good so Far, here is my problem

I have 2 computers with the same identical problems:

1. UT locks up while playing after about 30 min or so.
2. The sound gets distorted and scratchy.

After looking through the forums I see the fix for the sound:

Try this...open up advance prefs (type prefrences in console) and expand the audio section.
Make the following change...
Effectschannels =8
Latency=60
Reboot UT.

Haha, what these numbers do I have no idea but thanks again to OshadowO in the old forum on PU, for the fix, I have been fighting that problem with UT and Win 2K / XP for months.

After playing UT for about 30 min or so, I won’t be able to move in the game, I can’t type and I can’t ESC out of the game I am in. Then after about 1 min of that UT finally crashes (it doesn’t crash WinXP though) and I get a window that pops up and says General Protection Fault (Sometimes a with a tick message)something about “make new skin” or something, I am at work and don’t remember what it said. Anyways, both my computers do it, any ideas? I have all the latest drivers and BIOS, and this only happens in WinXP from what I can tell in Win98SE I didn’t seem to have this problem, so I must have something set wront for D3D or is it a SB Live Problem? This will also happen in different screen resolutions. Here is what I have:

Computer A:

Athlon 1.2 T-Bird
256 MB PC2600 RAM
FIC AD-11 MB
GeForce Ultra 2 64 MB DDR by VisonTech
MS Intelli Mouse Explorer Optical
MS Intelli Type Internet KB
Maxtor 40 GB ATA 100 7200 RPM HD
3Com NIC 10/100
Win XP Pro
Computer B:

P IV 1.8
512 MB Rambus 800
Intel 850GB MB
GigaByte GV GF3000 64 MB GeForce 3
SB Live Platinum 5.1
MS Intelli Mouse Explorer (The Newest One)
MS Intelli Type Natural KB
Maxtor 60 GB 7200 RPM 1st HD
Maxtor 40 GB 7200 RPM 2nd HD
3com NIC 10/100
Win XP Pro

UT Version 4.36
Nvidia Driver 23.11
SB Live Platinum, The 2nd Set of Win Xp Drivers
Latest Explorer Mouse Drivers as of 12.06.01
Latest MS KB Drivers as of 12.06.01

Anyways any Ideas? Do ya need anymore info from me?

Thanks All

sfxwe

Jun 14, 2001
clansfx.com
How did ya figure out it was the HD? I don't think it is my problem as I have a fan on it already and a very nice / well vented case. But I will check it out, thanks for the input. :)

sfxwe

Jun 14, 2001
clansfx.com
Here is a scrren cap of the error I get. Is anyone playing UT on Win XP Pro, and if so what settings u using for D3D and what hardare?

I hope this screen cap helps!!!

ut_error.jpg

Heisher

Ooo, suits you sir!
Oct 18, 2000
Edinburgh, UK
www.heisher.net
from what I can see (and boy, i seen a lot of g.ay UED/UT has crashed msgs) that is to do with UTs internal programming. Nothing to do with you really. unless that isnt the core of the problem.

But that indicates to me that you my son, need a clean install of UT!

sfxwe

Jun 14, 2001
clansfx.com
Man I can't tell ya how many times I have done a clean install, actually, this is the clean install :(... Could I have a setting in D3D Wrong? Please guys I need some help here. Is anyone running UT and Win XP ? If so what hardware and what settings?

I do have another screen shot same error but different wording if anyone wants i can post it too.

sfxwe

Jun 14, 2001
clansfx.com
Thanks for the info guys, but I have tried all those and still no luck. UT still crashes on me about every 30 to 40 min or so :(. I have done the WIn XP clean install and UT clean install countless times. I just can't believe this happens to me on 2 different systems, with different processors AMD / Intel, and the common thing is WinXP, but yet no one else has this problem?

Any Other Ideas?