PDA

View Full Version : beta DM map....

Squacky
7th Dec 2001, 03:31 AM
I'd appreciate any feedback on this beta map:

www.planetunreal.com/squacky/dm-dropzone][.zip

I made the first version for Unreal 1 a looooong time ago.
After a seriously debilitating EverCrack habit I'm just getting
around to converting it to UT.

One thing about the trees....the leaves don't seem to
be "masked" like they were in Unreal 1. They look kinda
blocky. Is there a way to fix this?

Another question. Anyone know a place to get really
good texture sets? Or any maps that have come out lately
that have quality custom texture sets?

Thanks,

Squacky

Hourences
7th Dec 2001, 07:54 AM
aah dropzone 2 :)

ill look in a few hours

Hourences
7th Dec 2001, 09:43 AM
played it, and i got the same prob as you, my trees are not masked, neither is the skybox texture, but thats my PC, i have it in other maps too, anyone know how to fix it yes ? i really want to see it decently

map is offcourse much better then the original, but it still feels a bit too much as an Unreal dm map at some places imo, in most unreal DM maps, that people call ''the best there is'' maps, the map feels to much like seperate things, to much differnt colours, textures and theme isnt always too clear, and i have that here too, i need harmony
map has nice gameplay, floorplan is good, nice z fragging stuff, textures are wrong on some places, but the projectx2 textures do their thing well on most places, but like in the waterfall room, the cieling texture is rather horrible, same for the big pillars in the same room, all the same, and the masked floortexture above the waterfall need to be aligned much better
the skybox had to be more blue or more red, but not a blue sky, and a red mountain, that doesnt match eachother > no harmony > not cool
and on alot of places the light didnt felt really cool, it was just average oin places, maybe a bit too overal, but it has some nice parts too
didnt lookt to bots, and didnt lookt really to items either but they seemt ok, didnt noticed anything weird
and didnt listen to sounds either, winamp was still playing couldnt hear much

and then we got the technical things :)
thing 1, i could jump out of the map, taking of the jumpboots, and jump outside, on the building, and then on the rocks, and i could hide myself
i ran across a bsp error, by a masked bridge somewhere, i dropped in to an invisble hole, and dropt dead by hitting it
, same goes for the waterfall, i couldnt get trough, i was being blocked by this invisble wall, but wasnt killt there
dunno of its my pc or not, but after running aroudn for 5 minutes in your map my framerate dropped to 20 fps, wich i dont uendersteand either, never had it before, and it cant be my system specs,cause they are very high

cant remeber me anything else, but map played good, gameplay is rahter good, now make it really cool with grapichs

Mxtrmntr
7th Dec 2001, 02:42 PM
Only played it for a few minutes against one bot yet ,and I noticed he got stuck here:

Mxtrmntr
7th Dec 2001, 02:44 PM
btw, I had this problem with the trees too.

RedFox
8th Dec 2001, 01:37 AM
He-he, they get stuck everywhere, not only in this map :D

[IMD1]KillRoy
8th Dec 2001, 12:30 PM
the not masked thing has something to do with the video card. In the early days I played with a Voodoo 3500 and had no problems, but ever since I have my G-Force 2 GTS 32MB, I also have the not masked thing on those trees.

BTW, UT still runs better on a 3Dfx than on a G-force of the same generation.... IMO

Hourences
8th Dec 2001, 05:02 PM
yes to go off topic a bit, ut is made for glide, so offcourse it will run better in that if the 3d card is of the same generation, and i want this bug gone, my old voodoo2 had no probs, my new gf3 doesnt mask stuff :\ such a expensive thing and it cant even simply mask something in a rather simple game as UT...

[IMD1]KillRoy
8th Dec 2001, 05:10 PM
good ol'days :D

Lruce Bee
10th Dec 2001, 06:50 PM
Weird? - I mentioned this subject of masking problems with the GeForce cards about 3 months ago when people were playtesting Brunel - knowbody knew what the problem was then either?

Lruce