PDA

View Full Version : UT2 info for the PC.... fact or rumor for 2002

J. Speed
3rd Dec 2001, 06:04 PM
What do you folks make of this?

UT2 Truth or Rumor?
I picked this up from Planet Unreal. Imagine this? Ummm Im very skeptical on this...DE will making or have some kind of input for UT2 PC aka UW??. Most of us of course already know about UC but UT2.???

http://www.planetunreal.com/

"This is the world's first mention of the game, but our sources say the project is already in an advanced stage, with maybe six months of development still to go. All sounds like a late 2002 release to us. Coding is being done by Digital Extremes, who worked closely with Epic on the original Unreal and is currently developing Xbox blaster Unreal Championship
You can read their entire scoop here. Hopefully we'll see more details in the near future! Also, keep in mind that this is not an official announcement, and is still a rumor."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_indexchk.php

Monday 3rd December 2001

UNREAL TOURNAMENT 2 EXISTS!

"That's the word, and it's carved out of concrete. The sequel to arguably the best multiplayer online shooter is coming out in 2002

15:41 This is the world's first mention of the game, but our sources say the project is already in an advanced stage, with maybe six months of development still to go. All sounds like a late 2002 release to us. Coding is being done by Digital Extremes, who worked closely with Epic on the original Unreal and is currently developing Xbox blaster Unreal Championship.
According to sources, the game looks "considerably" more detailed than the original Unreal Tournament and uses the latest build of what is now known, simply, as the Unreal Engine. Key advances are likely to include vast outdoor environments, extensive particle effects such as sand and smoke, expanded control techniques and a revamp of weapons."

"More as and when we know it, including, hopefully, the first pictures. There's going to be some big games next year, but let's face it, few come bigger than this. Stay tuned."

Caution
3rd Dec 2001, 07:56 PM
I believe it's simply Unreal Warfare. I mean, why the heck would a company make Unreal Warfare, a mass online game, and then Unreal Tournament 2, another big online game. Also, in previous press releases it's been stated that Unreal Warfare is the followup to Unreal Tournament just like Unreal 2 is the followup to the original Unreal. And also, there's no reason why they would want to port Unreal Championship over to PC; that'd be dumb, nobody would buy it with Unreal Warfare in the works.

J. Speed
3rd Dec 2001, 08:07 PM
Caution in reply to your post either you misundertood or didnt read the post thoroughlly.

Well yes I believe its UW and I dont think UW/UT2 will be a MMO game but perhaps a hybrid type of MMO.

Never said anything about an UC port to PC all I said was that DE is playing a role in the dev. of UT2/UC just like they did with UT.

We will just have to wait and see who is doing what when there is an official announcement...sooner or later.

Interesting though that DE ,if true, is providing coding for UT2/UW.Maybe it will be a MMO game....DE was working on a MMO game DS prior to UC.

Just speculation...............

Sir_Brizz
4th Dec 2001, 07:04 PM
I hope it is Uc on the PC...I'll buy it...I've never even seen much about UW...unfortunately. There's always room in my pocket and on my HD for unreal :)

aka(scorpius)
6th Dec 2001, 09:10 PM
My guess would be that it is a PC port of UC. Halo (another X-Box "exclusive") also has a PC port in the works which will be out ca. 6 months from now, and I can't see Epic/DE abandoning the $$$ which would be generated from a PC version.

I am, of course, hoping this will be the case because I really don't want to buy an X-Box for only one or two titles.

J. Speed
6th Dec 2001, 09:36 PM
I doubt it. UC = XBOX only.
All I can say if you cant wait for the next PC game for UT2 aka Unreal Warfare or whatever the title will be, buy an XBOX.

hal
6th Dec 2001, 10:43 PM
I have to say, that after reading through all of the available material, I have come to the conclusion that I can't believe that 2 Unreal games would be released in the same year. That's just cannibalizing their own sales.

The author mentions "This is the world's first mention of the game...." Well, if it's UW, it's not the world's first mention (it's been talked about ad nauseum), if it's not.. then we have a brand new game, and UW gets pushed back further.

OR

The author may just be misinformed, or uninformed, and this is a mention of UW, in which case I believe it still won't/can't/shouldn't be released in the same year as U2.

OR

It's true, there is a surprise, new game.. a follow-up to UT. Not UW, not U2, not UC.

The game mentioned is most likely not Unreal Championship's port to UT because Microsoft will not have had their window of exclusivity (6 mo. I believe). It also may not be the best choice for a console>PC port, as many of the features are geared specifically for consoles.