when U2 hits...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
will the team be revamiping the entire game like they did for UT?(not including 2.75 of course)

because of the advancements in the engine it seems like they can redo the player models..gun models etc..to make them all spiffy

just curious

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
they would be fools not to do it
I disagree, Unreal 2 may not boast all the features that Infiltration is built around. It is going to be a strong single-player game and may not support the type of teamplay promoted with Infiltration. It has some nice graphics and good support for large terrain, but it's multiplayer code (at this point) is not as developed as it will be when Unreal Warfare arrives.

I think that it would be best to wait for Unreal Warfare. A port like this will take at least 12 months and will make all the current maps unplayable or at least difficult to convert since Unreal 2 has a much larger player scale (twice the height as current Unreal player).

We will see what happens though.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
One could argue they should move to U2 or UW, and have good points either way. But, I think the REAL question that nobody is really asking (or answering) is what will the move from U2->UW be like? I whole-heartedly doubt that it will be as big of a speedbump as UT->U2 will be. If in fact the amount of work to go from U2->UW is minimal, I'd say it would be worth going to U2.

As far as the netcode argument goes, I don't really think that it's valid to think that U2 will be worst than UT. I mean come on, UT netcode really sucks ass. I mean really. Furthermore, it wouldn't make sense to throw out the netcode they already have to put in something which doesn't work as well (unless internal engine changes are so severe that they do have to throw away a ton of .uc code).

I hope that the team does move to U2, for no other reason than this: I want a game that looks nice, really nice. Don't get me wrong, IMHO INF is the best looking mod for UT I have ever played, but just imagine what these guys could do on the U2 engine. My Dual Athlon XP/Geforce3 system is crying for a U2 port. :)

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
and for all those people with geforce cards, they will get a speed increase. Epic has said the target system for performance is the P3-500 with a Geforce2 card. That's where it's supposed to work perfectly.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
i fear that infiltration will lose its fanbase if the players have to wait so long... i understand that the 'hardcore' fans will still play it [i know i will] but a lot of casual players will leave

additionally, a lot of community support will disappear, i mean i love inf, but if u2 hits the shelves i'll be mapping for that and not for ut anymore

LieLestoSbrat

Can You Count? Sucka's
and for all those people with geforce cards, they will get a speed increase. Epic has said the target system for performance is the P3-500 with a Geforce2 card. That's where it's supposed to work perfectly.

Ultra w00tage (whatever that means :D). I've got a p3 550 and gf2 gts, I hope it will run well on p2 300 voodoo 4 4500 then I will be able to have mega Lan games :)

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
Hmmm, good point reaper. However, if they do decide to go straight to UW and they do loose a few people along the way, it isn't such a big deal. Once UW does come out and INF for UW is ready, just imagine the number of people that will try it. Not only will they get the newbs, but also the loyals who just couldn't wait. INF will continue, and ultimately we'll flock to it :)

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by Keganator

I don't keep up on unreal engines cuz frankly they don't know how to design a decent one. But if what you say is true about their target system then their engines will be a joke.

Why is it only ID seems to know how to make a good fps engine??? Doom 3 is targetd for 30 fps on a gforce3. They push the limits and deliver engines that will last though a few generations of gcards and totally kick ass the whole time. Unreal engines on the other hand.. They tend to support the "dying" api's and cards. Who gives a crap what it does an a gforce2. Their design is laughable at best. Thank god for halo, i can totally ditch unreal engines forever!!!

*laughs hysterically while lightning strikes in the background*

Last edited:

DLL

Chrysolyte
Mar 12, 2001
BC, you forgot to laugh hysterically with lightening crackling in the background.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
2 things relating to "the unreal engines suck" thread.

1. "Who gives a crap what it does an a gforce2" that's a rather ignorant statement. First of all, a Geforce2 (notice the 'e' after the 'G'?) has a whole lot of power that goes unutilized in modern engines. There used to be a day when we didn't have the power of vertex shadders, much less HW T&L, and in those days we were still able to get good performance out of the hardware, by being clever. To say that something will be sub-optimal because it is targetted at hardware which is 1 generation old is foolish. The amount of functionality that the vertex shadder 1.0 language (Geforce2 territory) provides is truly stunning. Of course if it were targetted to be Geforce3 only then, a large number of possibilities would open up, both on the performance and visual standpoint. But, by no means is a Geforce2+ title a hinder.

2. If the people who are writting the engine WERE forcing you to buy a Geforce3 to play the game, then the pool of potential buyers gets very small, very quickly. Furthermore, since Epic is having U2 distributed by Infogrames the chance of this happening is 0. Infogrames is a company which wants to make the hardware restrictions as lax as possible so that they can get more people to buy it, and therefore more money (I know this because I am working on an Infogrames title). When you say that "only ID seems to know how to make a good fps engine," I have to question what "good" means. Yes, they are very graphically advanced. That is Ids place in the world today, they make software that pushes hardware to it's limits, and to a large extent fuel the graphics industry. It's what they do. Furthermore, Doom3 won't be comming out for some time, at which time a Geforce3 might not look so unatainable to some of the now low end users. Ultimately, it's all politics. You write the engine that your publisher tells you to write, and it will run on the hardware your publisher tells you it will.

In conclusion, I highly look forward to Unreal2, and am positive that it will be a "good" engine, even though it is targetted at a Geforce2.