XBox - Is it Worth It?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I think ill use the PS2 vs Xbox comparison on this one.

PS2 and Xbox are both $300 and yet the Xbox is way more powerful.

Xbox has a 766mhz P3
64mb ram
GeForce 3

PS2
466mhz something or another
32mb ram
8mb video card (I think)

Both can play DvD movies, although its not worth it on the PS2. PS2 has more games, but its been out for over a year. But most of these games and new ones are coming out for the Xbox and PS2. What does that mean? The Xbox version of these games will run faster, and look much better then on the PS2. Their are a few must have games that the PS2 wont get either. Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Elder scrolls 3. Xbox is getting a updated version of Grand Theft Auto 3 as well.

Xbox also has internet built in, and Microsoft will in a few months be providing BroadBand to Xbox users. You can already play Xbox games online though with lamespy and a few other programs.

Xbox also has a built in modem which the PS2 doesnt have, and yo will be able to add new levels and other files to your games with this hard drive. PS2 is getting a 40gig hard drive, but its going to cost $300 and it wont be used for anything but saving games and installing games onto the hard drive so the games will load fast.

Main reason to get the Xbox is for the price right now, and down the road your going to be in heaven with amazing games being released. The GeForce 3 the Xbox uses you can get a store for like $500.

hope this helps :)

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by -_-T()()L-_-
I think ill use the PS2 vs Xbox comparison on this one.

PS2 and Xbox are both $300 and yet the Xbox is way more powerful.

Xbox has a 766mhz P3
64mb ram
GeForce 3

PS2
466mhz something or another
32mb ram
8mb video card (I think)

Both can play DvD movies, although its not worth it on the PS2. PS2 has more games, but its been out for over a year. But most of these games and new ones are coming out for the Xbox and PS2. What does that mean? The Xbox version of these games will run faster, and look much better then on the PS2. Their are a few must have games that the PS2 wont get either. Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Elder scrolls 3. Xbox is getting a updated version of Grand Theft Auto 3 as well.

Xbox also has internet built in, and Microsoft will in a few months be providing BroadBand to Xbox users. You can already play Xbox games online though with lamespy and a few other programs.

Xbox also has a built in modem which the PS2 doesnt have, and yo will be able to add new levels and other files to your games with this hard drive. PS2 is getting a 40gig hard drive, but its going to cost $300 and it wont be used for anything but saving games and installing games onto the hard drive so the games will load fast.

Main reason to get the Xbox is for the price right now, and down the road your going to be in heaven with amazing games being released. The GeForce 3 the Xbox uses you can get a store for like $500.

hope this helps :)

OMG there you go again with false statements. The PS2 is 266 mhz, something around that. Definitely 200 something. heh but it runs games like melted butter. And more people around the world own a PS2 than XBox. It shall remain that way too. The only thing good about the XBox is that it's getting the Shenmue series, other than that it's nothing but a cheap PC with way less features.

I don't know who started the rumor that the XBox uses a geforce 3, but it doesn't. It uses a 250 mhz custom chip called XGPU developed by both Microsoft and nVIDIA. That is straight from IGN. And it obviously doesn't cost no $500 since the console is only $300.

Where did you get the $300 price tag for the PS2 hard drive? Last I heard no price was set. And as for only installing games on it and saving games, that is also false. It will do whatever the game programmers tell it to.

Oh, and PS2 is online already. As we speak there are people playing Tony Hawk 3 online right now. XBox doesn't have a built in modem, it has an ethernet adaptor which costs about $10 or less. You plug your existing modem into it.

Like I said before, we will see which console remains on top.

EmptySpace

Jul 23, 2001
Visit site
I don't have one, but I've tried out Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x, Dead or Alive 3, and Halo, and they're all good games. A strong point for the Xbox is the music copying. It's really sweet to play Tony Hawk 2x to your own music. However, the controller sucks. It's way too big, and the buttons are too close together. However, the PS2 and the GameCube's controllers just fit right in your hand.

I'm not interested in an Xbox, and probably won't be for a long time. For now, I'm happy with my PlayStation 2, and I'm currently shooting for a GameCube.

Jul 22, 2000
I love my friends Playstation 2, and i'm going for the Gamecube myself. I agree with EmptySpace about the controller, I have large hands and it still feels a little big.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by EmptySpace
A strong point for the Xbox is the music copying.

Don't forget though, it doesn't read CD-R or RW so you have to own all the original CDs to make your mixes which makes it pretty much useless since making your own mixes would cost way too much.

EmptySpace

Jul 23, 2001
Visit site
Don't forget though, it doesn't read CD-R or RW so you have to own all the original CDs to make your mixes which makes it pretty much useless since making your own mixes would cost way too much.

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of that. My cousin had brought his Xbox over about a week ago, and all he had was whole CDs pretty much.

ViperXL

Great Car
Dec 9, 1999
St. Louis, MO, USA
uh, Xbox is also online... you heard of Gamespy Tunnel??

I was playing Halo online last night, and it ran well... thats not saying that Gamespy's software does'nt have bugs, it does, but its a start and RIGHT after it's released to!

I also have a PS2, and it's taken a year for internet to come to it. You all of comparing the Xbox (2 weeks old!) to the PS2 (over a year old now), that doesn't work out right, i mean they both have their good and their bad, but do you remember how many good games were out for PS2 on release, not as many as are out for Xbox, that's for sure.

Oh, and about the controller, i think it rocks! It's solid and sleak, and i dont seem to have the problems you guys are having with the buttons, they are easy to hit.

Well, i like my Xbox, i like my PS2. I dont know anything about the Gamecube... does that have internet?

+Meat+

Stiff
Jan 27, 2000
I'm sure you guys have already thought of this but it's the games your buying not the console. Each console has different types of games for it. Buy the machine that fits your gaming want's, preferences and needs.

$0.02

Fuct

Who is Adam King?
Jul 8, 2000
The Diamond Sea
Originally posted by +Meat+
I'm sure you guys have already thought of this but it's the games your buying not the console. Each console has different types of games for it. Buy the machine that fits your gaming want's, preferences and needs.

$0.02

Abso-fucking-lutely.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Originally posted by +Meat+

$0.02

I'll buy an X-Box after someone figures out how to port Apache Web Server to it. Only then do I think it would be worth it.

http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/8895.html

Last edited: