Mapping Style

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

How do you construct DM maps?

• I plan the whole layout out in advance.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I just make up the damn thing as it goes.

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Somewhere in the middle.

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
I plan the whole thing out to the very last ammo pickup.

not really.

I plan the layout, but it changes some. The weapons and stuff i plan out too some

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Originally posted by Astyanax
How do I construct DM maps? I don't! I only make CTF maps! ;)

CTF ROOLLZ :D

My Latest CTF has 3 floors, so to plan it out, i just made rough cubes in the editor, so i could see it as it developed. I completely redo the map for the real thing.

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
I find that I plan little areas, then try to interconnect them. I'm lookin for some god-like flow here, but am always left with mediocrity. Ugh. It's the flow that makes or breaks a map in my opinion.

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by Luggage
If I didn't plan everything ahead, I'd get bored with it pretty quickly... dunno if this makes sense.

Um... this doesnt make sense. Now as I read it for the fifth time I notice why I get bored so quickly: I plan everything ahead. So there's no more room for new ideas - no creativity, no fun. :-( I've been blind! But now I see! Thanks forum! you make me so damn happy!

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Originally posted by GoldenMouse
I find that I plan little areas, then try to interconnect them. I'm lookin for some god-like flow here, but am always left with mediocrity. Ugh. It's the flow that makes or breaks a map in my opinion.

I think that's why ur maps play like room-corridor-room maps. I just planed my next level out entirely on paper, it's been quit helpful so far. I suggest doing this. This way u can adjust those indvidual rooms to layer better and connect in more places.

Luggage

wins.
Apr 25, 2001
Germany
www.planetunreal.com
I've been told:

Sketch it up.

But not too much, either: You'll most probably be thinking of cool things during your development of this room or that. Maybe sketch out a general layout (how many entries for a CTF base etc) but don't be afraid to throw it all over again. Should work, at least I'll try...

GoldenMouse

Mad Hatter
Nov 14, 2001
Backwoods Ohio
Visit site
I'm thinking of a two-level set of corridors with an arena area added on. Or, I might just split the two maps, leaving me with a twisting set of corridors and an octagonal arena. (I KNOW there are a bunch, but with some work, this one could be different.) Come to think of it, splitting these ideas is a great idea! "Thank you forum!!!" ;) damn........now I'm going to be too busy, juggling two maps, school, and a lucrative ring "business". ;)

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
I tend to sketch a bit of the layout, but leave the intricate details out. Im working on an assault map (and have been for some time) and I have gone through a ton of ideas... I re-planned it and now the map is steaming along at full pace.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by TossMonkey
I tend to sketch a bit of the layout, but leave the intricate details out. Im working on an assault map (and have been for some time) and I have gone through a ton of ideas... I re-planned it and now the map is steaming along at full pace.

same as the TossMonkey... sketch layout, plan for flow.... leave details out,

LXIXGTO

"Cruising At The Speed of Iron!"
I usually have a general plan within my head before I start.
Such as sketches of central areas etc ... :)

Sometimes some tweaking to the idea is needed to
make everything (including bot pathing) work
properly.

I usually prefer maps that have some kind of directional
gameplay and don't consist of running around
in circles.

:cool:

My map making process is as follows:

1. Come up with a brilliant idea for some particular thing.

2. Attempt to start making an entire map based on this idea.

3. Somewhere along the way, I realize I need a plan. . .

4. Attempt to make a plan, ends up being far to complex.

5. Continue mapping randomly.

6. Get tired of current map, Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Thats why I never finsish my maps. . .