First major car problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
I have a Mazda pickup actually.

It started misfiring the other day. I did the basic ignition troubleshooting and couldn't find anything. I did figure out what cylinder was not firing though. Anyway, I started suspecting a blown head gasket because I noticed a lot of steam coming from the tailpipe. Since it was around 45 degrees and raining I started thinking some steam would be normal.

Well, I just went out to start it and it wouldn't turn over. The dome light stayed lit, so it wasn't the battery. Tried starting it again and heard a loud hiss in the exaust. Tried turning the engine by hand, wouldn't budge.

Took the spark plug out of the cylinder I suspected and a trail of water came out.

Bloody hell!!! How much is this going to cost me?

qazix

Lost
Mar 31, 2001
The good news: Spark plugs and the connector cables are pretty cheap (I just replaced some in my car).

The bad news: You might need to replace more than that... Maybe; I'm an automotive n00b.

Zenda

Turbo Adept+10%
Jan 31, 2001
London
Visit site
Been a while since I've done car mechanics.[Chrysler Avenger ans Ford Fiesta]

My best thoughts on the matter is to shop around a bit and don't take bull. if you've got a m8 whose at ease with garages, take him/her along with you,

reason I say that is this:

i suspect that what's wrong is as simple as you say. Blown head gasket meaning that stuff that shouldn't come out is coming out. water going where it shouldn't.

I reckon youv'e done no great damage, but that checking and replacing the head gasket is a very good idea come what maty,

if that is all that is wrong, then good. if it isn't, then it was a good idea to replace it anyway, and looking at that bit of the engine would be a good idea.

Because, as far as I remember, replacing that can be a bit of a bugger ... needs to be done properly, then that's why a garage wit the appropriate tools could be needed.

My own experience of garages is that the people who work there usually try to make the job bigger than it is ... especially if it is really a small job because then they really get a good profit margin going.

What happened with me is that i spent a lot of time in the early days watching my friends as they would mend the bits and I would buy the tools needed. I slowly collected a nice tool set and through watching, learnt how to mend some bits of cars and to have at least a chance of being able to talk productively when about to give pepole money to do my car.

Best of luck to you:)

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
Because, as far as I remember, replacing that can be a bit of a bugger ... needs to be done properly, then that's why a garage wit the appropriate tools could be needed

nah not that hard....

but again I am here and you are there.... :p

Methodman

Cold in Canada
That always sucks.

So you say the engine won't even turn over now, first thing I would do is check your oil (if there was any ;) ). Ya might want to change the oil and take a sample to a garage so they can test it, they will look for anything that aint suppose to be in the oil like water or coolant. Another thing to do is get a compression test to check the compression of each cylinder, ya might just need a valve job (if your lucky). Probably a leak down test to tell you if you have a warped head, blown head gasket, or cracked block.

Good Luck :D

Danger_Dude

Feb 15, 2000
That's a damn good question.
Visit site
Uh oh - the fact that you can't turn the engine over by hand is a bad sign...

Sounds like you blew a head gasket which let coolant/water into the cylinder. The bad part is, water doesn't compress nearly as well as the typical air/fuel mixture. This can cause all sorts of problems, from blown gaskets to more serious problems like bent valves and/or connecting rods.

Get thee post haste to a reputable shop and hope you just blew a gasket and maybe bent a valve or two.

Good luck!

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
I took the plug out and drained the water out of the cylinder. It runs fine, but when I turn off the engine and the block heats the coolant, the pressure from the cooling system forces water into the cylinder. It barely loses water while the engine is running.

Quotes for repair:

$950 -$1350 in the Sacramento area.

$around $600-$700 in Fresno.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Yeah,you either blew a head gasket,or cracked the head.What kin dof car and engine?When the gasket is replaced,the head should always get resurfaced and magnafluxed to check for cracks,etc which is a bit pricey.On the up side,if you caught it quick enough you may not have done any damage to the pistons and rings.

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Mazda B2200 pickup.

Blown head gasket.
Kinda hard to magnaflux aluminum heads.

It is only necessary to resurface the heads if it is warped. Most often head gaskets blow because the gasket shrinks, either from overheating or just from the heating and cooling cycles.

Originally posted by ZenPirate
Yeah,you either blew a head gasket,or cracked the head.What kin dof car and engine?When the gasket is replaced,the head should always get resurfaced and magnafluxed to check for cracks,etc which is a bit pricey.On the up side,if you caught it quick enough you may not have done any damage to the pistons and rings.

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
pssst....Im an ASE master tech ;)
Mazda B2200 eh.Good engine in that one.Head gasket is easy as pie to do.I still would get the head checked for warpage.Guess I didnt read the fine print in the thread to pick up that it was a mazda...call it XBox preoccupation :D

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Yeay, but when you don't have a place to work on it..makes it really hard. I was looking at it and wondering if I could get away with pulling off the head along with the intake and exhaust manifold, then slip another head gasket in. If the head isn't warped, could fix it that way.