PDA

View Full Version : Darn me lightning!

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 07:06 PM
Who can tell me what to do, cuz this isn't working! Lemme explain

THe lightning as it is: set with a stochastic trigger that activates a dispatcher. the dispatcher moves a lightning textured mover into the skybox and activates 6 trigger lights which are set on "flicker" (there is one trigger light that lights up the clouds, and 5 in individual windows that look up to the skybox) then last the dispatcher activates a special event (set to play soundeffect)which broadcasts the thunder. I've looked at it over and over and I can't figure out why the whole thing doesn't work, it's driving me nutz

WEll that's it :B

Hourences
28th Nov 2001, 07:28 PM
actually, i have totaly no idea what a stohatic trigger is, if someone could explain the meanwhile that would be nice :D

why dont you jsut trigger the dispatcher with a normal trigger or with a timedtrigger that actiavtes itself when the map starts

and did you set initial off true by those lights ? and under object triggerturnson ? those kinda things

and you prolly dont hear the soundeffect if you have only 1 special event, if you want a real loud and big sound like thunder you need lots of them all over the place

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 08:28 PM
okay will do.

btw, the stochastic trigger, is a random thing, like it has similar properties as a dynamic ambient sound, it just has a random timer, to activate the sequence.

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 09:57 PM
hmm....still not working :/
I posted an update, why doesn't someone just open it up and see if they can fix it :)

http://www.chrysaor.org/thisone.zip

StoneViper
28th Nov 2001, 10:51 PM
ctf-EnemyAtTheGates (i think it is called) has lightning in the background. check out that map in ued and see how he did it.

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 11:18 PM
"On my way"

Chrysaor
28th Nov 2001, 11:27 PM
argh! can u gimme a link? NC and unreality AND totally unreal didn't have it ( tho i don't know much about that site):mad:

StoneViper
28th Nov 2001, 11:36 PM
it's also a jailbreak level, jb-enemyatthegates. there might be some acronim between the jb and enemyatthegates.

ftp://ftp.edome.net/mirror/nalicity/utctf/ctf-enemyatthegates.zip

dead clown
29th Nov 2001, 09:35 AM
personally i'd ditch the whole lighting thing if i were you. it doesn't add enough to the map to warrant all this hassle, and dynamic lighting over that large an area will make frame rates suffer no matter what. sorry, i know i'm not helping.

StoneViper
29th Nov 2001, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by dead clown
...sorry, i know i'm not helping.

well I am, and that map suffers from slowdown due to the high polycount, and node count. Using 2 or 3 dynamic lights won't slow the map down, especially in the small area of a Skybox.

Astyanax
29th Nov 2001, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Astyanax
there's a good lightning tute here (http://members.home.net/darendash/AdvancedLightning.html)

lucifix
29th Nov 2001, 11:28 AM
i tried the same thing in dm-q3arenag8 and couldnt get it to work either........

Chrysaor
29th Nov 2001, 11:45 AM
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

*good scream

IT WORKS AND IT'S THE ****ING COOLEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF ****ING MANKIND !!!! :D:D:D:D

Oh, and Hourences, if u do PlayersPlaySoundEffect, you don't have to put numerous special events all over the map.

Chrysaor
29th Nov 2001, 11:52 AM
thx for the tut Astaynax, you wanna know what i did wrong? hehe, it's stupid, but I had the tags on the triggered lights matching the dispatcher as opposed to the Events. And then the stochastic trigger, was not set on InitiallyOn. Those two things fixed it, and chrysaor is very happy :D

Hourences
29th Nov 2001, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Chrysaor
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

*good scream

IT WORKS AND IT'S THE ****ING COOLEST THING IN THE HISTORY OF ****ING MANKIND !!!! :D:D:D:D

Oh, and Hourences, if u do PlayersPlaySoundEffect, you don't have to put numerous special events all over the map.

instead the layer plays the sound wich is rather ghey if you have 3d sound setup and stuff cause the sound doesnt comes out of a direction anymore

Chrysaor
29th Nov 2001, 12:39 PM
ah, true, yes, but it's LOUDER :)

Hourences
29th Nov 2001, 12:52 PM
place 400 special events ina 256 cube, i asure you your boxes will explode

Chrysaor
29th Nov 2001, 01:45 PM
rofl, but this is so much more time efficient :)